Track by Track Day 7: Communication Breakdown

Always a barn-burner live. 'Blueberry Hill' (LA 9/4/70) has a great one which includes a short medley

The Central Park gig (NY 7/21/69) is another smokin' one. Too many to choose from, really.

For video, I like the 'Tous en Scene' one, off the official DVD (Paris 9/5/69)

This is where they influence heavy metal bands. No "Communication Breakdown" then no "Paranoid" then no... and on & on. I liked the song better when I was younger & I just about never purposely play it anymore but if it do happen to hear it I always turn it up.

This is where they influence heavy metal bands. No "Communication Breakdown" then no "Paranoid" then no... and on & on. I liked the song better when I was younger & I just about never purposely play it anymore but if it do happen to hear it I always turn it up.

What do you think it is about this song that makes it influence heavy metal?

I'm just curious because it doesn't sound like anything I'd call heavy metal today.

I'm just curious because it doesn't sound like anything I'd call heavy metal today.

True, Communication Breakdown sounds in now way like Mastadon or Lamb of God. But the first two Zeppelin Albums (particularly tracks like communication breakdown and whole lotta love) were crucial in the early development of heavy metal. The main riff of communication breakdown includes repetitive, rapid-fire downward stroking that was unseen previously in a guitar riff. So guitarmy, do this:

1) First listen to the studio version of Communication Breakdown.

2) listen to Paranoid by Black Sabbath http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/13/houston.mayor/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn.

3) listen to what is considered to be the first thrash metal song, Exciter by Judas Priest (take in mind this is from 1978)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSCygCYmen0.

4)Then take a listen to Whiplash by Metallica (from their first album released in 1983) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPkx-wwYgA, and you will see what I mean.

1)It's the starting point, the dividing line between before heavy metal & after heavy metal. There were songs that had a metallic feel to them going back to Link Wray's "Rumble" but "Communication Breakdown" is where everything is realized. "Paranoid" is just "CB" slowed down, which recently even Bill Ward admitted to. "Dazed and Confused" is an influence too as you can hear the feel to it on Black Sabbath's signature title song. But "CB" had the speed & frentic pace, the wailing vocals, & heavy crashing all around while remaining tight. That sound became associated with heavy metal early on in the court of public opinion regardless of what hindsight says in Sabbath's favor. I'd say "Communication Breakdown" is the first heavy metal song but the first truly heavy metal band is Black Sabbath.

2)It doesn't sound like heavy metal now just as rock artists don't sound like Chuck Berry, blues artists don't sound like Robert Johnson, country artists don't sound like Hank Williams, etc. The form evolves but there's a starting point. Those artists I just named aren't even the starting points of their specific genre's style but are the more famous examples of their respective time periods.

I like "Communication Breakdown". Definitely one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs ever. The song was very fast and heavy at that time, and still is, just like hard rock really sounds. I think the structure of the song is something that really makes it special and original. I think the song is great live. One of my favorite live versions of the song are Royal Albert Hall performance in 1970, Danmarks Radio performance in 1969, Theater Olympia, Paris (Tous En Scene) performance in 1969 and Earls Court performance in 1975 and others. BBC Sessions versions are cool too. I especially like Royal Albert Hall version with the outro after the solo. I've always wondered what is that, where does that originate? Sounds really cool. And I agree, it's definitely one of the first heavy metal songs, even trash metal songs.

An exciting and fast rocking piece with roots in Eddie Cochran's Nervous Breakdown.

"Communication Breakdown, It's always the same,

I'm having a nervous breakdown, Drive me insane!"

Communication Breakdown is an affliction that seems to happen around the forum occasionally. :D

I love CB as it was fast and loud. Jimmy played with a telecaster on this so the sound was high. JPJ 's bass in this is often overlooked. Bonzo as always perfect. Then Roberts voice in this, amazingly high and loud but with a touch of the blues...this was just rock and roll in your face. IMHO yet another in all of their great range of songs.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great song. Over time, i think this song has become my favorite off of Zeppelin I. The energy and hard hitting nature is so fantastic. A great song to turn up loud and jam to in the car. thumbsup.gif

EHM...ABOUT LZ, particularly CB, in the CARbiggrin.gif :

Well …with CB I created “a monster”!!!!! biggrin.gif my son, 9 years old, discovered LZ in my car when I accompany him to school or to play football….he adores them, all the songs (except for the wonderful blues ballads...I think because he is too young to appreciate these wonderlful pieces, he needs more Energy!!!) but since he has been listening to CB..he makes me crazy because he always wants to listen CB!!!! again and again !!!!Perhaps I’ll hate CB!!!ohmy.gif 1(no I’m joking, it’s impossibile!!!!smile.gif )

EHM...ABOUT LZ, particularly CB, in the CARbiggrin.gif :

Well …with CB I created “a monster”!!!!! biggrin.gif my son, 9 years old, discovered LZ in my car when I accompany him to school or to play football….he adores them, all the songs (except for the wonderful blues ballads...I think because he is too young to appreciate these wonderlful pieces, he needs more Energy!!!) but since he has been listening to CB..he makes me crazy because he always wants to listen CB!!!! again and again !!!!Perhaps I’ll hate CB!!!ohmy.gif 1(no I’m joking, it’s impossibile!!!!smile.gif )

Yea, I kind of know what you mean. I can play that song in the car and people who don't like Zep, haven't heard of Zep, or just don't listen to my kind of music will, 9 times out of 10, at the least have a foot or finger tapping to this song. It has an incredible energy to it. Nothing like belting it out while drving down an empty road at 60 miles (or faster :D) an hour.

1)It's the starting point, the dividing line between before heavy metal & after heavy metal. There were songs that had a metallic feel to them going back to Link Wray's "Rumble" but "Communication Breakdown" is where everything is realized. "Paranoid" is just "CB" slowed down, which recently even Bill Ward admitted to. "Dazed and Confused" is an influence too as you can hear the feel to it on Black Sabbath's signature title song. But "CB" had the speed & frentic pace, the wailing vocals, & heavy crashing all around while remaining tight. That sound became associated with heavy metal early on in the court of public opinion regardless of what hindsight says in Sabbath's favor. I'd say "Communication Breakdown" is the first heavy metal song but the first truly heavy metal band is Black Sabbath.

2)It doesn't sound like heavy metal now just as rock artists don't sound like Chuck Berry, blues artists don't sound like Robert Johnson, country artists don't sound like Hank Williams, etc. The form evolves but there's a starting point. Those artists I just named aren't even the starting points of their specific genre's style but are the more famous examples of their respective time periods.

i'm with you on this. growing up, this song was as hard and fast as it got. many came later, but the prototype is always the best. i would also agree that it has some validity as a punk song-the speed and energy, if nothing else. like a car with an overbuilt engine, careening all over the mountain road, climbing higher and higher, until: "awwww, suck it!", then the solo climbs higher still, shooting for the stars. as for my fave concert version, i'll go with jan. 11th, 1969 at the fillmore west. any '69 shows have KILLER versions of this song, but this is my favorite...

Yea, I kind of know what you mean. I can play that song in the car and people who don't like Zep, haven't heard of Zep, or just don't listen to my kind of music will, 9 times out of 10, at the least have a foot or finger tapping to this song. It has an incredible energy to it. Nothing like belting it out while drving down an empty road at 60 miles (or faster biggrin.gif) an hour.

Oh I am afraid that my son when he grows up will follow your example!!unsure.gif Already he would take off their seatbelts and would like me to run with the car!! But here there is always traffic at all hours sad.gif and it's impossible to run ... Now for him the obsession with CB and LZ in general has moved from car to home. ...He Uses it to celebrate a sports victory, or for any occasion on which he express great joy and excitement ... .. I really created a monster, I feel guiltybiggrin.gif !!!!!!!

• 5 years later...

Strangely enough for such a statement of intent,Communication Breakdown was almost buried on the second side of "Led Zeppelin".The album begins with Good Times Bad Times - but Communication Breakdown is even faster,even looser;an attempt to update the original,delinquent excitement of rock 'n' roll with late 60's technology and power.

The song is intertwined with the very roots of Led Zeppelin.As Page remembered,talking about how he put the band together after the end of The Yardbirds:"As soon as I saw Bonzo I knew who the drummer should be.I played him this single called Lonnie On The Move by Lonnie Mack.It's got this drumming that's really super hooligan.

I said,this is the sort of angle I'm coming from...."

MOJO Magazine ~ July 2014 ~

Archived