Jimmy's return to Beijing.

glicine

Maybe he can share a video performance of a few jams with Jason and JPJ and air that instead of flying there ... wink.gif

R cool.gif

I know you meant to be funny, but on another level this actually strikes a nerve. Painstaking preparation was put into

Led Zeppelin's 02 performance, and they finally got the shambolic reunion monkey ('85, '88, '95) off their backs. Now

less than three years later Jimmy finds himself in yet another Big Gig clusterf**k, if only thru high profile association.

We can only hope for the best .

Steve, those of us old enough to remember the as you say 'shambolic' 85, 88 reunions were not shambolic to us, they were great events, we were starved Zep fans, I sat up for both of those and loved them......still do, as it takes me back and also the Live aid 85 one made me proud to watch live at the time..............It's only modern analysing of these performances that runs them down mate, what's the 95 one that you refer to? Led Zeppelin did not reform in 95. I still watch the two reunions on ipod :D and Iam a fan that was fortunate enough to see the original band live....Knebworth 792... :rolleyes: another performance that is well scrutanised as being poor :rolleyes: Not if you were there it certainly wasn't, another great night for me :D .

Steve, those of us old enough to remember the as you say 'shambolic' 85, 88 reunions were not shambolic to us, they were great events, we were starved Zep fans, I sat up for both of those and loved them......still do, as it takes me back and also the Live aid 85 one made me proud to watch live at the time..............It's only modern analysing of these performances that runs them down mate, what's the 95 one that you refer to? Led Zeppelin did not reform in 95. I still watch the two reunions on ipod :D and Iam a fan that was fortunate enough to see the original band live....Knebworth 792... :rolleyes: another performance that is well scrutanised as being poor :rolleyes: Not if you were there it certainly wasn't, another great night for me :D .

Having been at the first two reunion gigs, I wholeheartedly agree - I never saw them so for me it was just amazing to have that chance to see them on stage. Being there you were so caught up in the excitement and it sounded great. Watching it on tape, yeah it may not have been their finest hour but who cares. It was the spirit of the moment to me.

1995 is the Hall of Fame jam.

I saw both "live" on tv. Live Aid was just incredible energy.

When they announced that JPJ was there it was just over the top.

A huge zep fan at the time I never dreamed of it happening. I don't like

Phil Collins, but oh well. They sounded good. I'll never forget saying that they

had two drummers instead of Bonzo and they couldn't even put out half the sound of

just Bonzo. :)

Atlantic 40th. No Good. didn't even sound good. you couldn't hear the guitar at all

it seemed. Disappointed to say the least. It was good to "see" them but it was so so bad.

When I see it on youtube now it seems like it's been doctored. probably because there

was always the ultimate expectation before that night.

Having been at the first two reunion gigs, I wholeheartedly agree - I never saw them so for me it was just amazing to have that chance to see them on stage. Being there you were so caught up in the excitement and it sounded great. Watching it on tape, yeah it may not have been their finest hour but who cares. It was the spirit of the moment to me.

1995 is the Hall of Fame jam.

Oh, wow, nine, I didn't know you were at the Atlantic reunion in '88--a really good friend of mine was there, too, and he also looks back on it with great affection.

Steve, those of us old enough to remember the as you say 'shambolic' 85, 88 reunions were not shambolic to us, they were great events, we were starved Zep fans, I sat up for both of those and loved them......still do, as it takes me back and also the Live aid 85 one made me proud to watch live at the time..............It's only modern analysing of these performances that runs them down mate, what's the 95 one that you refer to? Led Zeppelin did not reform in 95.

I'm old enough to remember them all as well and I recall them fondly, but the fact is from a performance standpoint they all fell short. This is not a revisionist point of view. Jimmy himself was livid over the sound production for television in '88.

Page, Plant & Jones were joined by Jason Bonham on drums at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

held at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC on January 12, 1995. There are actually at least two other reunions of Page, Plant

& Jones performing on the same stage together during that time (1985-1995), but those were private occasions and

as such generally not subject to scrutiny by the general public and press.

Oh, wow, nine, I didn't know you were at the Atlantic reunion in '88--a really good friend of mine was there, too, and he also looks back on it with great affection.

It was a pretty spectacular event overall - got to see some amazing artists that I'd never have been able to see otherwise. A few I could have lived without but they were part of Atlantic's history :)

Can a Rock Concert (and a Vegas Producer) Remake China's Image?

By Simon Elegant / Beijing

Time Magazine.com

Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2010

Nobody would accuse Rick Garson of thinking small. The Las Vegas based music producer is planning a benefit concert in Beijing on April 17 that will rival and possibly exceed such celebrity-spangled extravaganzas as Live Aid and Live 8. The ebullient Garson is well aware that China has what might politely be described as a mixed record when it comes to public performances by foreign artists; 2009 alone featured a trail of government last-minute cancellations. Notable among them was the nixing of Oasis concerts in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, reportedly because of one band member's attendance at a Tibet benefit concert in 1997.

But Garson says this event, dubbed Show of Peace, will be different. "It won't be a problem," he says. "We're doing it to raise global awareness of what good is coming out of China. [The government is] looking at this as the branding of the new China: red China going green." Participating bands will be donating their time, and half of all money raised will be funneled into global projects dedicated to promoting peace and protecting the environment. The slogan on the concert's website encapsulates Garson's oft-repeated objectives: Peace = Green + No War + Water + Food + Health + Education.

Exact details of which artists will be performing, however, remain fuzzy, with only legendary former Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page 100% confirmed. The list of invitees constitutes a roll call of the industry's biggest names: Beyoncé, Coldplay, Green Day, Kanye West, Lady Gaga and a host of lesser-known performers from Africa, Asia and the Americas. Garson is well-known in the industry — among other things, he has been executive producer of the Billboard Music Awards and the World Music Awards — and he appears confident the big names will show up. The all-day event is scheduled to be held in front of the iconic Bird's Nest Stadium in the grounds of the Olympic Training Center. Admission will be free, with some 5,000 tickets directly in front of the stage reserved for VIPs. Garson says he expects a crowd of 50,000, though because the open area around the stage is limited, many concertgoers will watch the stage from screens placed around the grounds. The potential worldwide TV audience, Garson says, will run into the billions.

There's no doubting Garson's sincerity, but the question remains: Can Garson pull off what would be by far the biggest concert in China's history? The Chinese authorities have long been suspicious of rock music, notes Kaiser Kuo, a Beijing-based writer and musician who was once front man for one of China's most popular bands, Tang Dynasty. Pop music, initially associated with spiritual pollution from the West, later came to be seen as a potentially subversive force that might encourage rebelliousness among China's youth. But lately restrictions seem to be relaxing, and Kuo says bands that might normally have had problems getting permission to play have been performing in Beijing. "I think the authorities are finally getting comfortable with the idea that there's a different social and political context for rock music in China," Kuo says.

Garson says the authorities, who have already green-lighted Show of Peace, probably understand that the concert would be a good way of improving China's image overseas. "Everybody is looking for the next big event that will put China in a positive light since the Olympics," he says. "I think it's very powerful that this statement of green and harmony is coming from China."

If he does succeed, the promoter would not only manage to stage what will be by far the biggest event of its kind in China, he will also finally realize a 10-year-long personal dream that began with a random phone call from the Vatican. "I am the least likely person to get a call from the Vatican," says Garson, "but they wanted to do a project with me," involving printing some of Pope John Paul II's favorite poems and prayers.

Soon, the idea of a global concert for peace was born. Though it was originally intended to be held within the Vatican, years of delays and cancellations led Garson to look further afield. At one point the concert was to be held at the U.N. office in Geneva, but that, too, was cancelled, leading him to search in the Middle East. Eventually, his work took him to China, where he believes he was destined to hold the concert all along. "Things happen for a reason," he says.

Others are less convinced. "If it's still on 10 days before the concert is scheduled to go, then I'll believe it," says one Beijing-based analyst who asked to remain anonymous for fear of being labeled a cynic.

http://www.time.com/...world/article/0,8599,1953033,00.html

So Pagey will play? questions are then, who with? and what?

Regarding Jimmy, that reporter is merely regurgitating what Gary Graff reported on Billboard.com. Given Garson's ten year track record trying to put a gig together, I consider Jimmy unconfirmed and the event itself in doubt.

Let's just say none of those artists they aim for show up... there are other lesser known acts performing right?

I mean China has their own music scene I'm guessing?

Cirque du Soleil could fill in between acts maybe?

Are we before or past the eleventh hour?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, you guys probably know as much as I do. :P

Let's just say none of those artists they aim for show up... there are other lesser known acts performing right?

I mean China has their own music scene I'm guessing?

Cirque du Soleil could fill in between acts maybe?

Are we before or past the eleventh hour?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, you guys probably know as much as I do. tongue.gif

It's my understanding various Chinese acts have been signed. However, that falls far short of a concert to rival Live Aid, which is what the organizers were hyping it to be. If the new spin is for China to host an event featuring predominantly Chinese artists for the Chinese people there really isn't an eleventh hour given they are hosting it. However, for those

thinking of flying in from elsewhere around the globe and staying the night it's getting pretty close to the eleventh hour (unless money is no object for airfare and hotel). Without some major acts confirmed ASAP I can't imagine anyone

bothering to go thru the trouble of traveling to attend this concert anyway.

April or September is being said now yeah...This just gives Jimmy the time he needs to take more pictures for magazine articles and such.

Update:

Word is Show of Peace is to be "postponed until September". Of course, nothing official has been announced.

• 2 weeks later...

April or September is being said now yeah...This just gives Jimmy the time he needs to take more pictures for magazine articles and such.

Confusingly, the web site http://showofpeace.com/ is counting down to April, while the title of the web page is "Show of Peace Concert | Beijing - Oct, 2010".

Archived