Less Talented

After seeing many live videos of the yardbirds, I have noticed that they all seem to be much less talented than Jimmy Page, they just don't seem to care to much while playing.

The Yardbirds were a good band but by the time Page joined, or at least by the very end of his tenure, they probably didn't care. Listen to "Five Live Yardbirds" from the Clapton era, they were shit hot.

I know, they were really good when eric clapton and jeff beck were in there. Wasn't there a time when all three of them were in the band.

Nope. They all played together on other projects at some point but Beck & Page both played dual lead on "Stroll On" & "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" during The Yardbirds days but that's it during the actual Yardbirds recordings.

After seeing many live videos of the yardbirds, I have noticed that they all seem to be much less talented than Jimmy Page, they just don't seem to care to much while playing.

I think Jimmy came in really fired up and full of ideas and energy and the rest of the band were burnt out so not so much that they weren't as talented but just in different places career wise.

The Yardbirds as a band, were a much better band when fronted individually by Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.Jimmy was a great guitarist but the "band" just wasn't of his suiting like Led Zeppelin was. Whatever the reasons, The Yardbirds had spent their energy by the time Jimmy joined and he alone couldn't salvage what had been accomplished previously, within the Yardbirds context.Mickey Most certainly didn't help the mix either. Even Jeff Beck's "Truth", produced by MM, had a thin sound compared to how Jimmy produced records. Just compare the production of "You Shook Me" on LZ I and Truth. Jimmy knew he could blow away that comparatively tinny sound.

Archived