Author Stephen Davis: Zeppelin Tour Will Not Happen

SteveAJones

Boston Globe

Nov 26th 2007

Plant Zaps Zep tour

Looking forward to Led Zeppelin rocking Boston next summer? Don't hold your breath.

The band's unofficial biographer, who happens to live in Milton, says Zep won't be undertaking a reunion tour anytime soon. "My sources say it's not going to happen," says Stephen Davis, author of the best-selling book "Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga." Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham's son Jason are all on board, Davis said, but Robert Plant isn't interested. "Robert's a wonderful guy and a great singer, but he's an old hippie and just doesn't want to do it."

There's been talk of a tour since the band announced it'll take part in the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert in London next month. The Cult's Ian Astbury then fueled the rumor by saying his band's set to open for a dinosaur act.

All the hype has prompted Warner Home Video to screen a remixed, remastered, high-def print of the movie "Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same" in nearly 50 US cities tomorrow. (The legendary - and somewhat laughable - rock flick will be shown at the Showcase Cinemas in Revere.)

Of course, the renewed interest in Led Zeppelin is good news for Davis. The fourth US edition of "Hammer of the Gods" will be released in a few weeks. "My publisher saw the announcement that Zeppelin would be playing, and said to me, 'Isn't it about time for another edition?' " said Davis, laughing. "And just in time for Christmas."

NO ONE I DON T CARE WHO THEY ARE, CAN SAY WHAT LED ZEPPELIN WILL DO,PEOPLE WILL SAY THIS OR THAT, BUT DID WE EVER THINK FOR ONE MINUTE, THEY WOULD COME BACK, I NEVER DID, I WAS SO SURPRISED, I THINK THEY WILL TALK AFTER THE SHOW,NO BOOKS WILL EVER FORCAST THAT.

I know. There's no way we know what will happen before this show. If that show is magical there isn't going to be any stopping other shows from happening. I don't know about a full blown tour but they'll do more shows if they really like the O2 show. And probably a few shows in America.

Boston Globe

Nov 26th 2007

Plant Zaps Zep tour

Looking forward to Led Zeppelin rocking Boston next summer? Don't hold your breath. The band's unofficial biographer, who happens to live in Milton, says Zep won't be undertaking a reunion tour anytime soon. "My sources say it's not going to happen," says Stephen Davis, author of the best-selling book "Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga." Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham's son Jason are all on board, Davis said, but Robert Plant isn't interested. "Robert's a wonderful guy and a great singer, but he's an old hippie and just doesn't want to do it." There's been talk of a tour since the band announced it'll take part in the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert in London next month. The Cult's Ian Astbury then fueled the rumor by saying his band's set to open for a dinosaur act. All the hype has prompted Warner Home Video to screen a remixed, remastered, high-def print of the movie "Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same" in nearly 50 US cities tomorrow. (The legendary - and somewhat laughable - rock flick will be shown at the Showcase Cinemas in Revere.) Of course, the renewed interest in Led Zeppelin is good news for Davis. The fourth US edition of "Hammer of the Gods" will be released in a few weeks. "My publisher saw the announcement that Zeppelin would be playing, and said to me, 'Isn't it about time for another edition?' " said Davis, laughing. "And just in time for Christmas."

Thats a fun book. I've worn out more than one copy. I think it did a real service to the legacy in as far as Zeppelin was Not Cool in 1984 and no one talked about them at school (except me). Then along came Hammer of the Gods teasers in Rolling Stone magazine, then the book, then Live Aid. I've seen a great deal of media hype on the heavy airship since then. No question going through the motions is an anathema to Robert Plant. If Jimmy is to get his reunion his only shot is writing a good album. He seems ready to convert solo demos. I hope Robert at least gives that a chance. It would have to be really good to challenge Raising Sand.

NO ONE I DON T CARE WHO THEY ARE, CAN SAY WHAT LED ZEPPELIN WILL DO,PEOPLE WILL SAY THIS OR THAT, BUT DID WE EVER THINK FOR ONE MINUTE, THEY WOULD COME BACK, I NEVER DID, I WAS SO SURPRISED, I THINK THEY WILL TALK AFTER THE SHOW,NO BOOKS WILL EVER FORCAST THAT.

Whoa whoa whoa, cool down

take a chill pill

*drops a chill pill in desire's pocket

Well, it's true that it's up to Zep ultimately and that it's too early but to speculate but he IS the author of the Hammer of the Gods.

hammer of the gods? Hasn't that been shown to be mostly untrue?

I have no idea, really. I still wouldn't shoot this down immidiately, hasn't there been similiar discussion here in the forums anyways?

I don't think anything is new here. For 20+ years, the others have been ready and willing, and Plant isn't. No big surprise. I think everyone keeps hoping he'll come around, and being willing to do this one show, and being pretty enthusiastic about it, is fueling everyone's fire. But ultimately, I think it'll be like the Pink Floyd Live 8 reunion, a one-off. It's been two years since Live 8, and there's NO indication that Gilmour wants anything to do with a Floyd reunion.

Gilmore, Wright, and Mason did take the stage after Roger Waters performed. And Wright, Mason, and Gilmore have done studio stuff for years including On an Island. Gilmore just doesn't like Waters that much anymore. Waters has even said he would love to have Floyd reunite.

Plant has never hated Led Zeppelin or the other band members. There's not the personal issues with Led Zeppelin that there is with Floyd.

I don't think anything is new here. For 20+ years, the others have been ready and willing, and Plant isn't. No big surprise. I think everyone keeps hoping he'll come around, and being willing to do this one show, and being pretty enthusiastic about it, is fueling everyone's fire. But ultimately, I think it'll be like the Pink Floyd Live 8 reunion, a one-off. It's been two years since Live 8, and there's NO indication that Gilmour wants anything to do with a Floyd reunion.

First of all, i am oringinally from Michigan and the world's biggest Tigers fan. God bless you, buddy.

And let's say this anecdotal whisper I keep hearing is true...that Page, Jones and Bonham all want to tour but Robert is the lone holdout. To Robert I say, get your head out of your ass and stay with the guys you've been with for forty years! My goodness...you would REALLY rather tour with that girl (whatever her name is) than with Led Zeppelin!?!?!? You're kidding right?

Unbeliavable.

Hi all,

Boston Globe

Nov 26th 2007

Plant Zaps Zep tour

Looking forward to Led Zeppelin rocking Boston next summer? Don't hold your breath.

The band's unofficial biographer, who happens to live in Milton, says Zep won't be undertaking a reunion tour anytime soon. "My sources say it's not going to happen," says Stephen Davis, author of the best-selling book "Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga." Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham's son Jason are all on board, Davis said, but Robert Plant isn't interested. "Robert's a wonderful guy and a great singer, but he's an old hippie and just doesn't want to do it."

There's been talk of a tour since the band announced it'll take part in the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert in London next month. The Cult's Ian Astbury then fueled the rumor by saying his band's set to open for a dinosaur act.

All the hype has prompted Warner Home Video to screen a remixed, remastered, high-def print of the movie "Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same" in nearly 50 US cities tomorrow. (The legendary - and somewhat laughable - rock flick will be shown at the Showcase Cinemas in Revere.)

Of course, the renewed interest in Led Zeppelin is good news for Davis. The fourth US edition of "Hammer of the Gods" will be released in a few weeks. "My publisher saw the announcement that Zeppelin would be playing, and said to me, 'Isn't it about time for another edition?' " said Davis, laughing. "And just in time for Christmas."

THe Boson Globe and err,Mr Davis,rags are they not? :D

M.r Steven A. Jones we might need more that a pint,or two,.....three? :beer:

Looking ahead,for a few old, old songs,..... 'Rag a muffin' know that? 'Roll me over in the

Clover' :D

KB

I don't recall this much "hype" around the 2003 Zep releases.

The miracle of a one-off reunion gig does increase the buzz, but consider this:

"Tune in to XM LED - XM 59

From now until May 2008, join the 24/7 celebration of the music and magic of Led Zeppelin."

Why until May 2008?

If not a full tour, perhaps something beyond the 02 show is not unlikely.

I'm just waiting for the news the to break....any day now!

Archived