A Daring Survey

Rock Action

OK, I think this is where I'll start getting some flak (or at least SOMEONE will), but here goes anyway. :lol:

As we all know, Page/Plant played loads of Zeppelin. So has Plant solo. Nothing new here.

Are there any songs that you felt Page/Plant or Robert solo did BETTER than the Zep versions? And WHY? Which performances?

Enquiring minds want to know.... B)

OK, I think this is where I'll start getting some flak (or at least SOMEONE will), but here goes anyway. :lol:

As we all know, Page/Plant played loads of Zeppelin. So has Plant solo. Nothing new here.

Are there any songs that you felt Page/Plant or Robert solo did BETTER than the Zep versions? And WHY? Which performances?

Hmmmm. This is a toughie. I like the way "That's the Way" featured drums, acoustic bass, and banjo along with Jimmy's 12 string in the Unledded version. But if I had a choice I still think I'd rather see Page, Plant, and Jones do it themselves.

Good idea for a topic!

:beer:

This doesn't really count, but I like the solo versions of songs that Zep never played:

Custard Pie Page 10/22/88 or Page/Plant (many)

Hots on for Nowhere Page/Crowes (forget date)

Candy Store Rock Page/Plant 7/7/01

However, to answer your question, I prefer the P/P Unledded version of That's the Way to any performed by Zep.

Also, prefer Page/Plant 5/20/95 version of Shake My Tree over any Page/Coverdale version.

1. Judging from the Page & Plant - dvd:

*Rain Song :_) :_) Best version ever.

*Gallows Pole, though SS almost does better.

*Friends (suprise suprise) and... maybe Four Sticks? I can't remember how good it was on this.

(Have not heard any live bootleg material from this era so i can't say anything else. Also, have listened most of the songs bit hurriedly so this might not be the final.

Generally, i liked the whole P&P tour. You get no flak from me, quite the opposite.)

2. Judging from the SS - dvd:

*Black Dog - HOLY SHIT this version is a killer! Even my friend likes it a lot!

*Gallows Pole - excelent version. Really develops.

I had forgot about The Rain Song!!!

Page/Plant's version is FAR superior to any Zep version. First off, it is played in the proper key, secondly they had the backing musicians to play the strings in a fashion Jonesy's mellotron just couldn't duplicate. AMAZING.

Page/Plant's version is FAR superior to any Zep version. First off, it is played in the proper key, secondly they had the backing musicians to play the strings in a fashion Jonesy's mellotron just couldn't duplicate. AMAZING.

My friend was pretty much speechless. I mean, goddamn, everybody just plays it so well, you know? There's no getting-there-jamming, it's just pretty much flawless playing on behalf of EVERYONE.

Man, i might be over-exaggarating but it's just so perfect!

I can't say I necessarily like them better than the originals because they're so different, but some of the Zep tunes Robert has done with Strange Sensation have been amazing - No Quarter, When the Levee Breaks, Black Dog and Misty Mountain Hop for starters. I love the percussive intro on No Quarter. I was floored the first time I heard it.

I can't say I necessarily like them better than the originals because they're so different, but some of the Zep tunes Robert has done with Strange Sensation have been amazing - No Quarter, When the Levee Breaks, Black Dog and Misty Mountain Hop for starters. I love the percussive intro on No Quarter. I was floored the first time I heard it.

I personally think SS WRECKED No Quarter. :angry:

But I'm extremely partial to that song, as I've posted here a million times before. :lol:

Not damning your taste. Just sayin', from a dinosaur's perspective. :)

I personally think SS WRECKED No Quarter. :angry:

But I'm extremely partial to that song, as I've posted here a million times before. :lol:

Not damning your taste. Just sayin', from a dinosaur's perspective. :)

That's cool. I love the original, don't get me wrong but I'm really partial to African music and that whole tribal feel, especially as an opener to me was pretty powerful.

AND....he did it on an acoustic instead of the usual 1275 Gibson.

I really don't have any favorites from P&P over Zep......just songs they did Zep did'nt. Like Tea For One (GREAT sbd of 96 Japan), Candy Store Rock (awsome sounding Sun Rec Tribute show in Montreux), a few others... I guess the same applies to Page/Crowes. ...Otherwise, I'd take a true Zep version....and when all else fails, back to the studio versions and outtakes. ;)

That's cool. I love the original, don't get me wrong but I'm really partial to African music and that whole tribal feel, especially as an opener to me was pretty powerful.

Hmmm..well from that perspective it makes sense. I'd have gone straight into "Another Tribe" myself. But that's me. :)

AND....he did it on an acoustic instead of the usual 1275 Gibson.

I really don't have any favorites from P&P over Zep......just songs they did Zep did'nt. Like Tea For One (GREAT sbd of 96 Japan), Candy Store Rock (awsome sounding Sun Rec Tribute show in Montreux), a few others... I guess the same applies to Page/Crowes. ...Otherwise, I'd take a true Zep version....and when all else fails, back to the studio versions and outtakes. ;)

I have two recordings of Tea For One (2-13/17-96) and they both knock my d**k in the dirt. Simply unbelievable. I'm hoping this Zep will play that as well.

Haven't heard that Candy Store Rock. :(

Page Plant had a very efficient and dynamic version of No Quarter on the 1998 tour that was more similar to the album than any Zeppelin tour. The guitar solos were well structured and rich in tone, and the keyboards had that electric piano with vibrato sound. I think LZ got really carried away with NQ in 1977, and I've already written about how I wish JPJ would have left the grand piano in the parlor. P/P also did barnstorming versions of the Wanton song and How many more times.

You may PM me of for mp3's of the last show I saw.

I have two recordings of Tea For One (2-13/17-96) and they both knock my d**k in the dirt. Simply unbelievable. I'm hoping this Zep will play that as well.

Haven't heard that Candy Store Rock. :(

The Montreaux Candy Store Rock was on youtube for like three seconds, and it was awesome.

for some reason I really like the Unledded version of Nobody's Fault But Mine, I think that might be better than the Zep version. I also really like the versions of When The Levee Breaks and Kashmir, but I don't think they're better, just new takes that are just as good as the originals.

Ok, well, I haven't followed RP's career as carefully as I have JP so I can't really say what he does better solo so my list only consists of JP. :)

I love 'That's the Way' from Unledded and 'Since I've Been Loving You' and 'Kashmir'. I wouldn't necessarily say I like the Unledded version of Kashmir better, but I think it's a fabulous alternative. I love the additional artists who join them.

I love JP with the Black Crowes. I think they were a good match. It's so much fuller with the additional guitars. Some of my favs from Live at the Greek are:

What Is and What Should Never Be

Ten Years Gone

Nobody's Fault But Mine

You Shook Me

Out On The Tiles

Whole Lot of Love

I am sure this is not a popular choice, but I love 'Come With Me' that JP did with Puff Daddy.

I love JP with the Black Crowes. I think they were a good match. It's so much fuller with the additional guitars.

I agree, its really cool to hear the Black Crowes stuff with basically every guitar part covered. But its almost TOO perfect, and thats why I prefer live Zep... Jimmy handled it all by himself, which makes it more intriguing and exciting.

Yeh Kashmir realy came to Life with Page/plant with the small orchestra and Egyption orchestra !! I think when other musicians are involved you can then reproduce some songs as they were recorded, but when its just a four piece you cannot replicate that on stage unless some of its recorded and played over the top !!

Archived