Eel Pie Island

Conneyfogle

A Rave on Eel Pie Island in August 1960

two-girls-at-eel-pie-island-426x428.jpgEel Pie Island, 31st August 1960

I found these rather fantastic photographs from Google’s Life magazine collection. They feature some teenagers at a ‘rave’ on Eel Pie Islandat Twickenham on a Wednesday night August 31 1960. There is practicallyno other information other than the photographs were taken by a PeterHall (I’m presuming not the theatre impresario who became Sir PeterHall).

marian-dawson-and-kathleen-mayo-epi-426x456.jpgTwogirls called Marian Dawson and Kathleen Mayo, the original caption madesure we knew that Kathleen is holding her boyfriend's drink whiledrinking apple juice.

dancing-at-eel-pie-island-426x378.jpgDirty feet on Eel Pie Island

dark-rave-at-eel-pie-island-426x458.jpgThe wall decoration is described as 'beatnik graffiti'.

two-girls-one-smoking-life-426x426.jpgThe two girls would be in their late sixties now.

JimmyPage.jpg

Photo of 'Malcolm Austin & The Whirlwinds' courtesy Tony Busson

Left to right: Jimmy Page, Tony Busson, Stuart Cockett and Malcolm Austin.

JIMMY PAGE

Bands Where he played between 1959 and 1980

• The J.G. Skiffle Group (Huw Weldon Show, 1958)

• Malcolm Austin & The Whirlwinds (Epsom, 1959)

• Epsom Dance Hall Support Band (Epsom, 1959 – June 1961)

• Royston Ellis Rocketry (Late 1960 – July 1961)

• Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps (July 1961)

• Neil Christian & The Crusaders (Sept 1961 - October 1962)

• Carter-Lewis & The Southerners (Early - Summer 1963)

• Mike Hurst & The Method (Late 1963)

• Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages (Early 1964)

• Mickey Finn & The Blue Men (Spring 1964)

• The Yardbirds (Bass then Guitar) (May 1966 – July 1968)

• Led Zeppelin (July 1968 –1980)

Founder member of Led Zeppelin and main figure in Heavy Metal music, Jimmy Page started out in late 50s.

Atfirst in a skiffle group then various Rock'n'Roll outfits such asMalcolm Austin & The Whirlwinds, Red E. Lewis & The Redcaps andNeil Christian & The Crusaders.

'MALCOM AUSTIN & THE WHIRLWINDS' (Epsom, 1959)

• Malcolm Austin (Lead Vocals)

• Stuart Cockett (Rhythm Guitar)

• James Page (Lead Guitar) "Jimmy Page"

• Tony Busson (Bass)

• Tom ? (Drums)

In 1959, at 14, Jimmy Page was attending Epsom Art College. In those days local budding musicians would all meet up for a 'jam' session, trying to copy the guitarists and groups of the time. Jimmy was a great Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps fan at the time.

He formed a Rock'n'Roll band wth some friends: Tony Busson on bass, Stuart Cockett on de-tuned Hofner guitar - to achieve a sound something like a bass guitar! and Malcolm Austin ,who did the main vocals. They appeared as 'Malcolm Austin & The Whirlwinds' and only actually played a couple of localgigs in Epsom .

Jimmy was always in demand from other musicians, despite his tender years, moving on to backing Neil Christian, EdenKane, prior becoming a prolific session man.

Tony Busson later joined 'The Presidents' where he took over the bass player who depped for the Rollingstones in the second part of 62, Colin Golding.

Recording Sessions for Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages

Jimmy Page played sessions for various groups and artists between late 1962 and spring 1966, among others Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages,on their fourth and fifth singles both released in 1964 and produced byJoe Meek.

It's unclear if Page really filled in as a member of The Savages, although Screaming Lord Sutch stated it in some interviews.

The first single was released in July 1964 but record earlier in the year.

The A-side was a self penned Sutch's number, the B-side was a rendition of Johnny Otis' blues standard.

Jimmy already used fuzz box for the lead guitar part.

Alongside him, there were Rick Brown, on bass, Carlo Little, on drums, Ton yMarsh, on piano and a trio of black female vocalists called 'The Velvettes' who provided the backing vocals. They actually came from Cyril Davies' band.

The latter was released four months later.This once Jimmy just played rhythm guitar while Jeff Beck played leadon the B-side, "Come Back Baby".

Contrary on the common belief, it's not Jeff Beck who played lead on the A-side "Dracula's Daughter" but Geoff Mew, then current lead guitarist of the Savages.

Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages

• "She's Fallen Love With A Monster Man/Bye Bye Baby" (Oriole CB 1944, July 1964)

• "Dracula's Daughter/Come Back Baby" (Oriole CB 1962, 23 Octobre 1964)

Five years later,in 1969, Jimmy Page help out once again Screaming Lord Sutch on his debut album, released the following year: "Screaming Lord Sutch & His Heavy Friends". At that time he was part of Led Zeppelin and while touring America, he and drummer John Bonham played on six numbers. On sleeve notes of this album Page is credited as a producer and composer.

Alonside Page and Bonham, other session men were bass players Daniel Edwards and Noel Redding from Fat Mattress (formerly with the Jimi Hendrix Experience).

Jimmy Page and John Bonham played on

1. Wailing Sounds (Jimmy Page, Lord Sutch)

2. 'Cause I Love You (Jimmy Page , John Bonham, Lord Sutch)

3. Flashing Lights (Jimmy Page, Lord Sutch)

4. Union Jack Car (Jimmy Page, Lord Sutch)

5. Baby, Come Back (Jimmy Page, Lord Sutch)

6. Thumping Beat (Jimmy Page, Lord Sutch)

This quote is from Cyril Davies, Jimmy played with him on a few occasions and at the Island I think

It seems like the quote is actually a compilation of multiple quotes from different people, because at one point it says "I met Jeff Beck at Eel Pie Island and I think I was playing with Cyril" -- and Davies would not have said that about himself.

It seems like the quote is actually a compilation of multiple quotes from different people, because at one point it says "I met Jeff Beck at Eel Pie Island and I think I was playing with Cyril" -- and Davies would not have said that about himself.

Ahh yes you are correct, my bad, it was a quote from a drummer named Mickey Waller (Sorry about the confusion)

Mickey Waller was one of the first English rock drummers. Heearned the nickname "The Fox" due to craftily getting himself intobands. I worked with him for a year or two in the Brian Auger band, theMarty Wilde band, and Georgie Fame's band, during which time I "lent"him cigarettes on a daily basis although he never bought a packethimself! Nevertheless we were good friends, had a lot of laughs, and Ialways enjoyed his playing. I'd say he was a highly intelligentmegalomaniac, misogynist and misanthrope - famous, infamous andnotorious all at the same time! - Rick Brown - August 2006

Mickey - "before I leave the era of the early 60s, I would like toremember Screaming Lord Sutch and his Savages. Carlo Little, who onlydied this summer (2005) as I write, was the drummer, with Nicky Hopkinson piano. Nicky went on to play with many famous artists, such as TheWho, The Rolling Stones, and the Jeff Beck Group, to name just a few.Poor Nicky is also gone now, I like to remember these people…I had anoffer from the notorious pioneer of the British Blues scene calledCyril Davies. In many ways, I consider this the real starting point ofmy musical career. We used to play regularly on Twickenham's Eel PieIsland on Sundays. It must have been round this time that I first metRod Stewart. Long John Baldry wasa regular member of Cyril Davies' bandand Rod Stewart would often show up to sit in, singing with the band. Isaw Rod only two months ago at Krissie Wood's funeral at MortlakeCrematorium just round the corner from me. I have known Rod all thoseyears, but that could well be the first date; August 4th, 1963 at theEel Pie Island. I stayed with Cyril Davies and played Richmond JazzFestival, the Marquee, The Marquee at Golders Green, The Cavern Club inLiverpool, The Marquee in Manchester, even the Albert Hall on Saturday21st of September. We also played some TV shows too. Poor Cyril. Ieventually left Cyril's band to join Marty Wilde." - excerpt from "TheBeat Behind The Best / The Whole Truth- well, Nearly..." - MickeyWaller's Life Story, as told by himself in the Summer and Autumn of2005.

• 2 weeks later...

two-girls-at-eel-pie-island-426x428.jpg

Eel Pie Island, 31st August 1960

two-girls-one-smoking-life-426x426.jpg

The blonde bombshell above is none other than Gillian Hills, a youngfavourite of Roger Vadim and Serge Gainsbourg. Hills grew up in Parisand had a small role in one of my personal favourites, Les Liaisons Dangereuses(which has its own scintillating jazz soundtrack by Thelonious Monk),after Vadim decided she was the new Brigitte Bardot. Following that shemoved to England in 1959 to star in Beat Girlwith Adam Faith. These photos would have been taken around the timethat film was released, when she was 16, and show that she was livingthe life of the character she portrayed, a rebellious beatnik teenager.Later in the year Hills moved back to Paris to become a recordingartist, working with Johnny Hallyday and Gainsbourg. She only acted ina few more films over the next decade but they include such legendaryfilms as Blow Up and A Clockwork Orange.I've always thought she was stunning, but these photos make me adoreher even more- in this sea of filth and underage debauchery she isluminous.Below is the title sequence from Beat Girl, and here is one of her songs with Serge, Une Petite Tasse D'Anxiété.

This thread is fantastic, thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I'm trying to remember the title of this DVD I saw (Netflix has it) where Ron Wood's older brother Art (sadly since passed away) takes viewers on a tour of the various music-related sites in London. He goes across the bridge to Eel Pie Island and reminisced how "two old ladies" used to sit there and collect a toll of about two or three pence from everyone. He walks around the site of the old hotel with another musician and they talk about how it used to be. He too recounted that anecdote about the pee leaking down on patrons from upstairs! Mick Jagger took the brunt of the blame IIRC.

This thread is fantastic, thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I'm trying to remember the title of this DVD I saw (Netflix has it) where Ron Wood's older brother Art (sadly since passed away) takes viewers on a tour of the various music-related sites in London. He goes across the bridge to Eel Pie Island and reminisced how "two old ladies" used to sit there and collect a toll of about two or three pence from everyone. He walks around the site of the old hotel with another musician and they talk about how it used to be. He too recounted that anecdote about the pee leaking down on patrons from upstairs! Mick Jagger took the brunt of the blame IIRC.

RocknRollLondon.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll London DVD

featuring

Art Wood

Mick Avory

Rock 'n' Roll London DVD. Art Wood (brother of Rolling Stone guitarist Ronnie), takes you on a tour of the rock 'n' roll clubs and haunts of '60's London.

Special interview with Mick Avory (The Kinks' drummer) at The Clissold Arms, Muswell Hill.

£17.50, including postage and packing from The Eel Pie Club, c/o 44 London Road, Twickenham, TW1 3RR. Cheque payable to The Eel Pie Club

Archived