Stairway live Hybrid picking?

Discipulus

Hi guys im learning stairway live and ive gotten to the third verse where he starts doing the arpegiated chords much quicker than before, at about 3:48 of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kNEo8OxrT8 and i was wondering if he was just skipping strings and picking it all with his pick or using both a pick and his fingers, Thanks guys much appreciated

Hi Discipulus! And welcome!

In my opinion, at around the 3:48 mark of the video, it seems that he does the riff, C, G/B to Am (barre). Then he does C, G/B to Am (barre with the quick arpeggio, like this ↓). Not sure whether he just uses his fingers or a hybrid picking technique. My guess would be "hybrid" since he uses his pick (for the 12-string neck) to strum the riff immediately preceding it (namely the Am, Am7 Dsus4, D, riff). It's tough to get rid of the pick so fast and then be ready to retrieve it for further strumming and then for the solo. (all without missing a beat)

I could be wrong, of course. I'm sure he could execute either technique with equal proficiency. haha. Hope this helps. ;)

pzUnBV.jpg⬆ The barred Am part.

btw This video's audio is different from the one on the The Song Remains The Same DVD. Robert Plant's voice is different. Is it a different performance from the one on the DVD? Just curious. :beer:

Archived