How Many Zeppelin books do you have?

zepps_apprentice

101 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Zeppelin books do you have?

• none
    • one
    • two
    • three
    • five+

• 2 months later...

I will have four. I just pre-ordered Brad Tolinski's book about Jimmy. Really excited to get that one!

The one's I currently have are:

LED ZEPPELIN : When Giants Walked the Earth by: Mick Wall

LED ZEPPELIN REVEALED by: Jason Draper

The Illustrated Biography:Led Zeppelin by: Gareth Thomas

:coffee:

I have all of them except Jimmy's book from last year and after all the errors with dates and not as many rare pics I am not worried about it.

I have all 4 volumes of Neal Preston's books also with the first one from 1983 being signed by him and numbered. The Photographers-in 1995 I paid $100 for it.

• 3 months later...

Many of the books written on the band are simply rubish, the Richard Cole

book [sTH] to name one. Some of it is fact while other parts are speculation and

bragging's galore ramblings. Cole did well by the band however he was nothing

but a low life bully. When he would comment about some of the darker moments

or rumors of the band he left it incomplete as to the story etc...just as I've done

here myself

• 4 months later...

Seven specifically about Zep:

1. Hammer of the Gods. Trashy fun of the best kind. I don't believe everything I read, but I bet it's more accurate than the boys would like you to think...I mean, if was the first time a lot of the really scandalous stuff had been put into print - they were hardly likely to admit everything, right?

2. Stairway To Heaven. When a book's own author says "Well, SOME of it's true", you know you're onto a loser. If I'd paid more than a quid in the second-hand shop I'd be ticked off.

3. Light and Shade. Excellent.

4. Trampled Under Foot. By far the best, IMO.

5. When Giants Walked The Earth. Good stuff, will probably become the definitive biog, which is a damn sight better than having people think HOTG is "the" LZ book.

6. LZ-75. Should be better known - some very interesting stuff.

7. Led Zeppelin: The Stories Behind Every Song (Chris Welch). Bit of a letdown - any number of websites can do the job better. When someone's basically just describing to me what a bloody record sounds like (the title is seriously misleading), I could do the job better.

Plus five groupie memoirs:

1. I'm With The Band (Pamela Des Barres). Just skimmed for the Zep bits, tbh. And they're worth reading. But her prose style can be pretty grating.

2. Let's Spend The Night Together (Pamela Des Barres). Ditto.

3. Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart (Pamela Des Barres). Ditto.

4. Hollywood Diaries (Morgana Welch). Kind of the same story.

5. Dandelion (Catherine James). This is the one who can write. Also an amazing life story. Recommended, although there's not a great deal of Zep stuff.

That's all in the space of six months, since I started to discover the band. Probably time to take a break.

TL;DR: Trampled Under Foot is awesome.

Nice collection ledded 1. Are you looking for any particular books to add to it ? By that I mean, older stuff that you may not have

I'm always looking for other stuff. My one regret is not buying one of Jimmys limited editions.

and received, will get back to you later today :bubble:

Good ! That'll give me time to talk Mrs Ally into getting on her hands and knees to search our crawl space :lol:

I don't "own" any of them but I've read the following:

Jimmy Page: Magus and Musician by George Case.

LZ 75 by Steven Davis.

Light and Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page by Brad Tolinski

Stairway to Heaven by Richard Cole

I checked them out from my local public library.

Hi Ledded1,

I notice you give your location as being in England. If you haven't managed to view a copy of JPP's limited edition, you can get access to it through the British Library in London. There is no entry charge.

I'm always looking for other stuff. My one regret is not buying one of Jimmys limited editions.

Are there any books in particular which you would like for your LZ collection, but have so far been unable to obtain?

I enjoy collecting them all. Hardbacks...paperbacks...and sometimes there's a revised or foreign language edition.

Are there any books in particular which you would like for your LZ collection, but have so far been unable to obtain?

There are about 50 on my want list, but most can be obtained fairly easily. However, among them there are three that have proved difficult to find in EX+ to MINT condition:

A Tribute to John Bonham by Darryl Crawford

Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin's Golden Boy by Michael Gross (1975)

Led Zeppelin: The Book by Chris Welch (1984)

Actually shocked to see this one on Ebay. I own a copy already so won't be bidding but I understood it to be very rare indeed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-ZEPPELIN-OVER-EUROPE-THE-PHOTOGRAPHS-OF-JEAN-PIERRE-LELOIR-RARE-OUT-OF-PRINT-/300892747150?pt=UK_Music_Music_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item460e9af58e

Robert signed one of the pics in my copy.

Archived