How would you rate It Might Get Loud?

I just got the DVD yesterday. I can't stop watching the extras, they're fantastic. Page showing The Edge & White the "Kashmir" riff is my favorite. I never knew Page came up with the riff during "Swan Song" as I thought "Swan Song" came about after "Kashmir" was already recorded. I really enjoyed the press conference too. I also liked Page playing those old Cromwell & Nashville guitars during "Four Sticks".

Agreed! The look on Edge's face while Jimmy does the Kashmir riff was the best. Jimmy's sound was perfect while playing it. It did make me wonder why in P/P shows he played that gold Les Paul instead of the Danelectro? That guitar gives the best sound for that song, IMO.

I finally saw it last night for the first time and really loved it! I'm only sorry I wasn't able to see it on the big screen with full sound. I've only seen it once so far; my initial impression was (and I know very little about Jack White) that Jack and Jimmy (and by extension, Led Zeppelin) seemed to be on the same wavelength blues-wise, and in that regard, Edge was almost out of place (although I think he's great; he is just a different type of guitarist). My favorite part was when they all started playing IMTOD.

Another observation is that Jack really hammers hard (not just the bloody guitar but he really attacks his playing), whereas there's more light/shade with Jimmy (but of course we all knew that already!).

It was very cool to see how that distinct U2 sound was achieved too (I've been a U2 fan since pre-War days and finally saw them live this year).

I watched it again last night and noticed a couple of things during Edge's sequences that seemed awkward to me. Apologies in advance for not being able to quote precisely. Anyhow, at one point he was putting down the super groups of the 70s (during the Spinal Tap scene); and then later on he was talking about the type of sound he DIDN"T want to have, and they showed a Top of the Pops scene with some Muzak band playing Rock and Roll.

Did anyone else find that just a tad irreverent (dare I say disrespectful?) toward Jimmy? :unsure:

After noticing that, I thought Edge looked even more out of place during IMTOD. The only time I remember seeing Jack smile in the film was during that scene. He and Jimmy really clicked there I thought; that's still my favorite part :)

I watched it again last night and noticed a couple of things during Edge's sequences that seemed awkward to me. Apologies in advance for not being able to quote precisely. Anyhow, at one point he was putting down the super groups of the 70s (during the Spinal Tap scene); and then later on he was talking about the type of sound he DIDN"T want to have, and they showed a Top of the Pops scene with some Muzak band playing Rock and Roll.

Did anyone else find that just a tad irreverent (dare I say disrespectful?) toward Jimmy? :unsure:

After noticing that, I thought Edge looked even more out of place during IMTOD. The only time I remember seeing Jack smile in the film was during that scene. He and Jimmy really clicked there I thought; that's still my favorite part :)

I think The Edge was just showing that he was a product of the enviorment that he came from, that being punk/post punk Ireland. He was no more putting down Jimmy Page than Jack White was putting The Edge down when White said, paraphrasing here, that technology is for cheaters & that the use of technology is the destroyer of organic music. Technology is The Edge's bread & butter, but for Jack White who has a mininalmist approach he's only stating that he too is the product of his influences like Son House. The thing is that this is a movie & it's telling a story & all stories have an element of conflict with the principle characters. All three of these musicians were specifically chosen based on their differences & similarities to make an interesting story based around the guitar. My take on it is that Page, even though he's the oldest, is the bridge between The Edge & White. Where White is a minimalist & The Edge bases everything on technology, Page embraced technology & a bare bones approach, often in the same song.

I think The Edge was just showing that he was a product of the enviorment that he came from, that being punk/post punk Ireland. He was no more putting down Jimmy Page than Jack White was putting The Edge down when White said, paraphrasing here, that technology is for cheaters & that the use of technology is the destroyer of organic music. Technology is The Edge's bread & butter, but for Jack White who has a mininalmist approach he's only stating that he too is the product of his influences like Son House. The thing is that this is a movie & it's telling a story & all stories have an element of conflict with the principle characters. All three of these musicians were specifically chosen based on their differences & similarities to make an interesting story based around the guitar. My take on it is that Page, even though he's the oldest, is the bridge between The Edge & White. Where White is a minimalist & The Edge bases everything on technology, Page embraced technology & a bare bones approach, often in the same song.

Very good point; thanks! :)

I saw the film today and I really liked how they used three guitarists from various backgrounds and allowed them to all find a common ground. The Edge saying U2 didn't want to sound like the big bands of the 70's, Jack White saying how technology is cheating... I thought it was brilliant.

I have been into U2 since 1984 and what I think some people are missing is that when they came out The Edge introduced a way of playing that had never been done before. It was as significant as Eddie Van Halen or Jimi Hendrix, just not as out front.

I have only heard of Jack White prior to this. Seeing him in this film, and his total love for blues and scaling everything down, just leaves me very much impressed with this guy. As a guitarist for over 30 years I was really fascinated when he said he wanted his playing to be a struggle, to be a fight. Very cool.

Of course Jimmy is great throughout and I really loved hearing him speak about Headley Grange and the recording there. Jimmy is like a little kid listening to Link Wray - very cool to see him listening to music that inspired him and still gets him off.

All in all an excellent film w/ some wonderful Extras. I kept thinking as I watched that the world of music really needs something new and daring from Jimmy!

I saw it in the theater and bought the DVD aswell. Obviously I like it. I am also a fan of all threes' music. I do fell that the edge was a little out of place. Perhaps Van Halen would have been a better choice.

One of the thing that gets to me is that for example a three part documentary could have been made of the Headley Grange section alone, so it tends to make the rest of seem like fluff.

Also I hate the phony posing that goes on. I guess it's the directors way of making an interesting story, but it also cuts right through to the fakeness of it. As Walt Disney would say, the magic is gone ( when you see someone carrying trash cans to be emptied through the park at Disney Land.)

Example. Out of the blue The Edge asked Jimmy to tell him about Kashmir, and low and behold right next to Jimmy (The first time it appears in the Film) Sits Jimmy's Danelectro.

Another one is " hey Jack! Show us that 7 Nation army riff."

"Oh yeah sure. it's in a different tuning"

And as Jimmy And The Edge Learn the riff their guitars just happen to be in the same alternate tuning as the song.

Example. Out of the blue The Edge asked Jimmy to tell him about Kashmir, and low and behold right next to Jimmy (The first time it appears in the Film) Sits Jimmy's Danelectro.

perhaps they were talking about the danelectro and different tunings then the edge would be like "oh hey kashmir is in this tuning lets ask jimmy about it!" then wallah

I took a day off work,drove 70 miles one way to see it this past September 11th- opening day at the only theater who was showing it here in metro Atlanta. We all stayed in a crowded theater until the credits completely stopped, then we all stood and applauded, so that was a great experience to see it in the theater. Since buying the DVD, I have watched it about 7 times. Of couse I wished there would have been more Jimmy, and while I love U2, I agree with DBJ that Eddie Van Halen would have been a great choice. I have a new respect for Jack White musically.

Look, I'll take what I can get with Jimmy in it and overall I really enjoy it. Just to see Jimmy Back at Headley Grange is worth it alone. I am sure I will contnue watching this DVD quite frequently.

I forgot about it until Deborah J mentioned it but IMGL is the only movie I've ever been to in a theater where I've seen a standing ovation at the end. Groups of teenagers & young people in their early 20's were actually applauding during Page's scenes earlier in the film & only his surprisingly. I guess that says quite a bit.

I really liked The Edge in the film.

Not so much Jack White, who is such a poser, in my opinion. He's crafted his image that he wants to portray, he has it calculated out and acts in a way to fit that image. He even says in the movie that he was looking for "a way to get away with it", meaning to me that he's always looking for an angle, he's not totally honest in his portrayal as to who he really is. That's being a poser.

His music is not bad, nothing to complain about. I just don't like him as a person.

I like the deleted scene where The Edge explains how everyone in U2 got their nicknames based on the "shapes of people's heads". Bono was BonoVox of O'Connell Street, a hearing aid place, LOL.

And I liked whenThe Edge played a few bars of Stairway to Heaven, and he added one of his guitar effects to the last chords, LOL. And he told Jimmy and Jack that when he was 15, his classical guitar teacher asked him to show her how to play Stairway so she could teach the other kids.

And of course I loved all of Jimmy's scenes, particularly the ones at Headley Grange and how joyous he was when playing his old records. And I liked when he played Four Sticks, and particularly The Battle of Evermore on mandolin outside of Headley Grange. And I loved hearing Jimmy lovingly talk about Stairway to Heaven, my favorite Led Zeppelin song. And I liked when Jimmy said something about becoming too old to play guitar and then said "I hope that doesn't come for a long, long time." I second that sentiment.

Overall, I would give the movie a 3.5 out of 4. I am not giving it a 4 because I don't like Jack White, and would perfer someone else, such as Eddie Van Halen (as someone else mentioned). Just my opinion.

I thought the three of them were a perfect match. Jack White's sections were approached in a different way, in that he and Guggenheim decided to base them on his "if I'd known then what I know now" idea, hence his idea to use his sections to teach a younger version of himself what he wished someone had told him at the time. That's not being dishonest in the slightest, it's simply taking a more creative approach. He has a completely different artistic sense to both the Edge and Jimmy (which includes having done some acting), which the Edge comments on in the press conference, and is an infinitely more interesting musician than Van Halen IMO (not to mention being the right generation for the film)--so I thought the balance was perfect.

Oh, and if anybody's 100% conscious of his image, it's Jimmy! Nothing wrong with that. :D

He is indeed very dishonest.

Look at his insistent false portrayal of Meg as his sister just to fit the image that he had created, and, as he said in the movie, he wanted the image of innocence with brother and sister in The White Stripes, thus the red, white and black, and the peppermint candy on the bass drum. He continues to perpetuate that falsehood, even in the movie, calling her his sister.

Beating up the guitars, that is also more posing, in my opinion. He is trying to portray that he has no respect for the instrument, that it has little value in his life, when in turn, it is his livelihood and is very important. He is acting, as you said, to perpetuate an image that he wants to portray, for some psychological reason. When he talks direclty to and plays guitar with Jimmy and The Edge, he is a totally different person and plays a very high quality guitar, not one of the old broken down ones, if I remember correctly. All pretense is gone then, in my opinion. He is probably showing more of his true self there in those scenes. I did like the deleted scene where he showed Jimmy and The Edge how to play Seven Nation Army. He was all natural and unpretentious there.

And I am not commenting on the balance with the particular guitarists in the movie, just saying that I don't like Jack White and would have perferred someone else instead of him. But the movie was very good, and I will concede that it would have been a different movie with someone else, and maybe it wouldn't have been as good, who knows.

Edited to say that Jimmy may indeed be image conscious, but he is not putting on an act to portray himself as someone different than who he truly is, just my opinion. He only wants to be viewed in the best light, hiding his flaws, if possible. Jack is portraying himself as a character as to who he wants to appear to be.

I bought the DVD and saw it about a week ago, and I really loved it! It's one of those movies that you get caught up in and before you know it, it's over. As soon as I finished watching it, I wanted to watch it again! I think most of the deleted scenes should have been included in the movie.

I've always liked all three guys, but I think I learned the most about The Edge. I didn't know too much about him before I watched it, but I had more respect for him as a musician after I watched it.

I had mixed feelings about Jack White. I like his music, but why does playing the guitar have to be a struggle? And the scene they showed of him playing his guitar until his fingers were bleeding was a little disturbing. I mean, I sat there thinking "Is it really necessary to play until you're bleeding?" You know, just what is he trying to prove? But I still like his music.

And of course I loved all of Jimmy's scenes. Especially when he air guitars to "Rumble", and when he goes to Headley Grange. I loved seeing the inside of Headley Grange; I always wondered what it looked like.

All in all, I'd give it an A!

He is indeed very dishonest.

Look at his insistent false portrayal of Meg as his sister just to fit the image that he had created, and, as he said in the movie, he wanted the image of innocence with brother and sister in The White Stripes, thus the red, white and black, and the peppermint candy on the bass drum. He continues to perpetuate that falsehood, even in the movie, calling her his sister.

Beating up the guitars, that is also more posing, in my opinion. He is trying to portray that he has no respect for the instrument, that it has little value in his life, when in turn, it is his livelihood and is very important. He is acting, as you said, to perpetuate an image that he wants to portray, for some psychological reason. When he talks direclty to and plays guitar with Jimmy and The Edge, he is a totally different person and plays a very high quality guitar, not one of the old broken down ones, if I remember correctly. All pretense is gone then, in my opinion. He is probably showing more of his true self there in those scenes. I did like the deleted scene where he showed Jimmy and The Edge how to play Seven Nation Army. He was all natural and unpretentious there.

And I am not commenting on the balance with the particular guitarists in the movie, just saying that I don't like Jack White and would have perferred someone else instead of him. But the movie was very good, and I will concede that it would have been a different movie with someone else, and maybe it wouldn't have been as good, who knows.

Edited to say that Jimmy may indeed be image conscious, but he is not putting on an act to portray himself as someone different than who he truly is, just my opinion. He only wants to be viewed in the best light, hiding his flaws, if possible. Jack is portraying himself as a character as to who he wants to appear to be.

Archived