Robert Explains Why no LZ Reunion

kiss of fire

Steve Sauer has a very good summary of all the recent revelations by Jimmy and JPJ.

He covers it with many well thought out points and refers to the Independent article I had posted in the "Whole Lot of Talent" thread. I am not good at the linky thing so I will leave it to to someone else to post it here please.

Here is the link though to Steve's article. Pasting I can maneuver. ;)

http://lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/2010/01/testy-guitarist-admits-hes-year-behind.html

I find it hard to criticize Robert, since he's been the one member of Zeppelin who has consistently performed Zeppelin's music on tour since 1988. In fact, he played a good number of Zeppelin tunes in concert that had never, or rarely, been done by the band. Plus all the new arrangements and interpretations. I mean, geez, the man has been giving us Zeppelin tunes for 20 years straight now, including the Page/Plant tours that were 90% Zeppelin tunes, not to mention recording a ton of great new music in the process. Seems silly to complain about the guy who has given us the most since Zeppelin ended.

I find it hard to criticize Robert, since he's been the one member of Zeppelin who has consistently performed Zeppelin's music on tour since 1988. In fact, he played a good number of Zeppelin tunes in concert that had never, or rarely, been done by the band. Plus all the new arrangements and interpretations. I mean, geez, the man has been giving us Zeppelin tunes for 20 years straight now, including the Page/Plant tours that were 90% Zeppelin tunes, not to mention recording a ton of great new music in the process. Seems silly to complain about the guy who has given us the most since Zeppelin ended.

:goodpost:

Robert Plant is easy enough to criticize, but I just don't want to think about him that much.

Hi ET,

Lets not criticize him then, lets look at the facts and see where they lead us.

Fact 1. Robert has had more say in his own music since his Led Zeppelin days than he did when he was with them, and he likes it that way and doesnt want to share the limelight with them.

Fact 2. Robert could have allowed JPJ to be part of the Page and Plant enterprise back in 1994, he didn't want JPJ involved, why? because JPJ has a mind of his own musically and this might have been detrimental to his own musical journey. Or plain and simple, Robert didn't want to spend time with his old band mate because he didn't like him anymore and hadn't done for some time.

Fact 3. Robert's voice is not up to a Led Zeppelin reunion tour, and thats why he chose to take a path that he knew his voice could cope with.

Fact 4. When Jimmy appears on Roberts stage Jimmy gets more adulation than Robert does and he doesnt like it or want to share it with him or anyone else.

Fact 5. Anyone care to comment?

Regards, Danny

1. Fair enough--he's called the shots for years regarding his own music, seems reasonable not to want to give that up.

2. JIMMY and Robert didn't want him involved because they weren't doing "Led Zeppelin," and as for them not liking each other, they've been hanging out lately.

3. Robert's voice is up to any kind of tour he might want to undertake, given that he can't sing the highest register any more, but so what? It would be freakish if he could, at 61.

4. When Jimmy appeared as a guest with Robert's solo bands, it was at Robert's invitation, so he obviously isn't running from that--plus the adulation for Jimmy is partly because he hardly ever plays live, whereas Robert performs constantly.

But apart from that, yeah. :D

Hi ET,

Lets not criticize him then, lets look at the facts and see where they lead us.

Fact 1. Robert has had more say in his own music since his Led Zeppelin days than he did when he was with them, and he likes it that way and doesnt want to share the limelight with them.

Fact 2. Robert could have allowed JPJ to be part of the Page and Plant enterprise back in 1994, he didn't want JPJ involved, why? because JPJ has a mind of his own musically and this might have been detrimental to his own musical journey. Or plain and simple, Robert didn't want to spend time with his old band mate because he didn't like him anymore and hadn't done for some time.

Fact 3. Robert's voice is not up to a Led Zeppelin reunion tour, and thats why he chose to take a path that he knew his voice could cope with.

Fact 4. When Jimmy appears on Roberts stage Jimmy gets more adulation than Robert does and he doesnt like it or want to share it with him or anyone else.

Fact 5. Anyone care to comment?

Regards, Danny

Hi, Danny

Speaking as one of those people who braved the hot sun in the Forum parking lot to get tickets, huh?

Who is this Robert person anyway? You're not talking about that Golden God guy, are you? If so, he's been gone for a long time. I have no idea where he went. I have noticed this new person masquerading as the original, hanging out in Nashville, but that is neither here nor there.

Fact 1. Anyone born under the sign of Leo needs his or her own way. Just ask Diana Ross.

Fact 2. Robert Plant needed new people, new ideas and did not wish to stagnate. So, he expanded his group to include more people and made dumb remarks about parking cars.

Fact 3. I doubt that any of Robert Plant's current girlfriends mention anything about him being too old to do that anymore, but just between you and me, it's not exactly the same as being twenty-one.

Fact 4. Robert Plant does not want to turn Jimmy Page into Marilyn Monroe because then Elton John would be singing Goodbye Jimmy Page instead of Goodbye Norma Jean; i.e., no treadmills for Jimmy Page if Robert Plant is supervising, i.e. commanding. Queen Elizabeth did not award the CBE for nothing.

Fact 5. I need a nap.

:-)

1. Fair enough--he's called the shots for years regarding his own music, seems reasonable not to want to give that up.

2. JIMMY and Robert didn't want him involved because they weren't doing "Led Zeppelin," and as for them not liking each other, they've been hanging out lately.

3. Robert's voice is up to any kind of tour he might want to undertake, given that he can't sing the highest register any more, but so what? It would be freakish if he could, at 61.

4. When Jimmy appeared as a guest with Robert's solo bands, it was at Robert's invitation, so he obviously isn't running from that--plus the adulation for Jimmy is partly because he hardly ever plays live, whereas Robert performs constantly.

But apart from that, yeah. :D

Hi Aqua,

1. We agree. :thumbsup:

2. Back in 1994 might have been a whole lot different than now regarding friendship, JPJ was very pissed that he didn't get the call from his other band members for the PandP tour and album, still they are probably over it now but i still think it reasonably logical that JPJ was not in with the incrowd at the time, and more RP than JP is a likely answer.

3. Good dodge. ;)

4. Just ask around, Jimmy is more popular with the Led Zeppelin faithful than Robert, that's just the facts as i see them, i take nothing away from Robert, the best singer the world has ever thrown up in my opinion, but I've seen it for myself and so have many of my friends both here in England ond over in the US as well, still you might have a different handle on it from your own point of view, I'll grant you that.

I'm so glad you let me off with just a telling off, I'm mighty obliged mam. :buttsmack:

Kind Regards, Danny

Back in 1994 might have been a whole lot different than now regarding friendship, JPJ was very pissed that he didn't get the call from his other band members for the PandP tour and album, still they are probably over it now but i still think it reasonably logical that JPJ was not in with the incrowd at the time, and more RP than JP is a likely answer.

But after hearing comments about parking cars, JPJ soon forgot about not getting calls and realized that he was much better off.

Hi, Danny

Speaking as one of those people who braved the hot sun in the Forum parking lot to get tickets, huh?

Who is this Robert person anyway? You're not talking about that Golden God guy, are you? If so, he's been gone for a long time. I have no idea where he went. I have noticed this new person masquerading as the original, hanging out in Nashville, but that is neither here nor there.

Fact 1. Anyone born under the sign of Leo needs his or her own way. Just ask Diana Ross.

Fact 2. Robert Plant needed new people, new ideas and did not wish to stagnate. So, he expanded his group to include more people and made dumb remarks about parking cars.

Fact 3. I doubt that any of Robert Plant's current girlfriends mention anything about him being too old to do that anymore, but just between you and me, it's not exactly the same as being twenty-one.

Fact 4. Robert Plant does not want to turn Jimmy Page into Marilyn Monroe because then Elton John would be singing Goodbye Jimmy Page instead of Goodbye Norma Jean; i.e., no treadmills for Jimmy Page if Robert Plant is supervising, i.e. commanding. Queen Elizabeth did not award the CBE for nothing.

Fact 5. I need a nap.

:-)

Hi ET,

Fact 1. Yep.

Fact 2. Yep.

Fact 3. I doubt he or I could capture our youth in the bedroom department either, the self satisfied carnal gourmet that he is. :P

Fact 4. CBE = Cock of the British Empire. ;)

Fact 5. I need a crap. :lol:

Regards, Danny

But after hearing comments about parking cars, JPJ soon forgot about not getting calls and realized that he was much better off.

Hi ET,

JPJ better off? what as a Taxi Driver. :lol:

JPJ doesn't need anybody to help his music career, not now, not then, not ever, the man is an a fcuking genius in anyone's book, period.

Regards, Danny

1.  Fair enough--  JIMMY and Robert didn't want him involved because they weren't doing "Led Zeppelin,"

Nah, they weren't doing that old cruddy band at all! Well, 5.5% anyway. :lol:

typical '98 Page&Plant setlist:

nashville060298-back.jpg

I'm just quoting their reasoning, as you know very well. It wasn't be to be viewed as a Zeppelin reunion, especially at the beginning. Jimmy as well as Robert said that over and over.

And if you're going to quote me, please don't alter the quotation.

Hi ET,

Fact 1. Yep.

Fact 2. Yep.

Fact 3. I doubt he or I could capture our youth in the bedroom department either, the self satisfied carnal gourmet that he is. tongue.gif

Fact 4. CBE = Cock of the British Empire. wink.gif

Fact 5. I need a crap. laugh.gif

Regards, Danny

I meant his musical career.

As for fact 4, he comes from a unique breed of humans, similar to only one other breed of nature that I can think of.

I meant his musical career.

As for fact 4, he comes from a unique breed of humans, similar to only one other breed of nature that I can think of.

You're not wrong there ET.

Regards, Danny

PS, You said "I meant his musical career" so did I, I hear he is very good on the Mouth Organ, a Cunning Linguist and a Master of Many Tongues. :P:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I read and saw photos that Robert is working with Daniel Lanois possibly on the Raising Sand II and Alison also working with Lanois. Looks like they ditched T-Bone for Lanois? Not sure if anything is going to come of it. Robert also did some demos with Trixie Whitley who sings with Daniel Lanois, etc. in a new group called Black Dub AND this Trixie has supposedly done some demo songs with Robert? Very interesting and confusing?

I have a question. Why is it that Robert refuses to reunite with Led Zep and do the same old thing BUT he still even as of today, with every single person/group he collaborates with, does a lot of the Led Zep songs? Why is that different? Is it because his arrangements are different for the songs? I just don't get that part?

I read and saw photos that Robert is working with Daniel Lanois possibly on the Raising Sand II and Alison also working with Lanois. Looks like they ditched T-Bone for Lanois? Not sure if anything is going to come of it. Robert also did some demos with Trixie Whitley who sings with Daniel Lanois, etc. in a new group called Black Dub AND this Trixie has supposedly done some demo songs with Robert? Very interesting and confusing?

I have a question. Why is it that Robert refuses to reunite with Led Zep and do the same old thing BUT he still even as of today, with every single person/group he collaborates with, does a lot of the Led Zep songs? Why is that different? Is it because his arrangements are different for the songs? I just don't get that part?

Zeppelin is part of his career and why shouldn't he or any of them play Zep tunes live. Robert reworks them to fit the mood/sound of what he's working on - ie with Alison Krauss they had a more rootsy feel. Strange Sensation more North African. He's just not interested in trying to recreate the band as a band at this point. Nothing really confusing about it IMO.

It goes back to Nov 1986 when his new manager at the time not only encouraged him to do so but explained Robert would find it increasingly difficult to maintain robust touring as a solo artist if he did not.

Yeah I can understand your point and he absolutely SHOULD keep singing all those great songs because he IS the lyricist for the group since Zep II and they are as much his songs as Jimmy's. I just wish they'd do at least ONE MORE TOUR as LZ and then go back to their individual projects. Why can't he rework his songs as he does with Krauss and Strange Sensation but rework them to fit Led Zeppelin TODAY? He was sorta doing that with the "NO Quarter" Page and Plant stuff. Robert will never be stagnant no matter WHAT he does. He could reinvent Led Zep to be EXACTLY what he's been looking for because he sure seems to constantly be looking for something he has yet to find. ABSOLUTELY, it would be a HUGE task but he can do it His voice is still exceptional and I think better in some ways. He does more SINGING now and I think his voice sounds even sexier. We all are accepting the fact yeah, it's over, that's in the past and probably it really is, BUT just imagine how you'd feel if you heard the news YEAH< ROBERT'S GOING TO DO IT! Why do I keep thinking that He, very deep down inside, really wants it?

Archived