Soundgarden Reunion

kiss of fire

Soundgarden have been busy with the 20th anniversary of Superunknown and the preparation of upcoming tour with Nine Inch Nails. Motley Crue bassist, Nikki Sixx, recently interviewed frontman Chris Cornell. You can listen to the interview and view some quotes below:

Cornell gave his opinion on Pink Floyd’s recent reformations, stating, “When Pink Floyd reformed, they became a live experience that had little to do with whoever was playing music on the stage. It’s like okay, they’re playing up there, but let’s watch the lasers. But when they reformed for one televised show, it was just these guys on stage playing their songs and there was nothing added to it. It was an amazing moment for me, to sit and watch and listen to that.”

He also reminisced on Soundgarden’s tour with Guns N’ Roses: “They had more than one keyboard player. They had backup singers. And it worked, but they weren’t badass like they were when it was just five guys on a stage in a club.”

Cornell also expressed his interest in Death Grips, who recently broke up and cancelled opener dates with Soundgarden. “There’s a lot going on. There’s a lot of samples and loops. But live, it’s different and pretty crazy. The drummer is a phenomenal drummer and he’s essentially assaulting these programs he’s made. It’s an approach to that I haven’t heard.”

The Soundgarden frontman recalled a show where one of his influences was watching. “We did a theater show outside of London and I’d heard that Robert Plant was going to come. Our show wasn’t going that great and I see through one of the open doors, his moppy head coming down the stairs. And I just go, ‘Oh fuck, Robert Plant is here.’ And I’m just super self-conscious for the rest of the show.”

When asked what gives him a reason to get up everyday, besides music, Cornell replied: “My family and my kids and my wife. When I think back, thirteen to fourteen years ago, I didn’t want to get up. I didn’t want to get out of bed. Particularly the period after Soundgarden was finished, I was in a really dark place. And now, all that is over. My lifestyle is different. I changed virtually everything you could change. In fact, Soundgarden is the only thing in my life now, that was ever in it before, which is a great thing.”

http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=50588

Archived