Tea For One?

zepps_apprentice

Ithink tea for one was half the speed of SIBLY.To me it resembles I'm gonna crawl,a real slow burner.to tell you the truth,when page played the TFI licks in SIBLY,I thought the song totally lost it's momentum.

:D That's okay...'77 fanatic that I am, I tend to skip SIBLY 99% of the time anyway. IMO that tune reached its peak in 1973 and by '77 Page simply didn't have the chops to pull it off convincingly, never mind 1980's dreadful versions. Hell, I bet half the time, when Jimmy did throw in the T41 quotes, he was probably so out of it he thought they were actually playing T41! The tempos are just about the same, after all...

they would have only had the option for a tragedy shortened 77 tour and a tragedy shortened 80 tour

so

given the number of actual "popular" tunes already in the set list.......and the number of shows to even possibly play it

not happening

course plant n page did do a couple great versions on the japanese leg of their tour

Two possible reasons occur to me:

Firstly, IMHO they didn't seem to put much effort in to updating the set in '77, '79 or '80. Just 2 new songs from Presence, old concert favourites, indulgent jams (I love No Quarter from 73 & 75, but in 77? They went on waaaaay too long). So possibly they just weren't trying very hard at new stuff.

But maybe that's a little harsh..

So the second thing that occurs is that the intro to Tea For One is really difficult to play. I mean a real bastard - the riff turns around over the beat & it's a major headache to count it right. IIRC there was video of P&P stuffing it up at least once when they did it (maybe it weas in one of the links above - I haven't watched them all) and P&P were a lot "healthier" shall we say than Zep in 77. Perhaps it was just too hard for them to consistently nail it?

Edit: went back & listened to Coneyfogle's vid clip - there's a real clunky join between the intro riff & the verse (playing not editing) - maybe that was the one I was thinking of? I'm sure there was an even worse one as well, where it pretty much colapsed...

you are pretty much spot on with trying the song in 77',79',and 80'.the turnaround also seems hard because the change to the main song part is a gradual slowdown.they played it in 96',even with mistakes.actually ,thruout the song there are difficult speed-ups,not even a metronome could help.

Two possible reasons occur to me:

Firstly, IMHO they didn't seem to put much effort in to updating the set in '77, '79 or '80. Just 2 new songs from Presence, old concert favourites, indulgent jams (I love No Quarter from 73 & 75, but in 77? They went on waaaaay too long). So possibly they just weren't trying very hard at new stuff.

No Quarter in '75 was constantly hitting over 20 mins, much the same with '77. I don't get why people say that the '77 versions were too long when in '75 they were about the same length usually.

as for the recorded version of -tea for one, its got an incredible live sound and vibe. you can almost visualize led zeppelin playing that song. interesting comments in this thread, one cant help to imagine more variety, listening to the shows/tours, with that cataloge of songs. i could see them playing -i'm gonna crawl on the 80tour, even if it were a rocky version of it. would have been very cool to hear, in place of -sibly.

Archived