Studio vs. Live

zepps_apprentice

134 members have voted

1. 1. Was Zep better live or in studio?

• Live
    • Studio
    • Half and Half

Not having given this too much thought, a few that I prefer studio are "Rock and Roll" for the guitar sound and "Battle of Evermore" for the singing, the intro, the beautiful guitar and mandolin sounds.

Well I agree with Achilles to loose a bit by having only one guitar live obviously. My personal live "dislike" is In The Evening though. I really like studio version and as far as I heard boots, I didnt like the synths JPJ used live.

Said that, I vote LIVE. Anyway, Anytime. Thats what music is about.

...:::!!!LIVE LIVE LIVE!!!:::...

• 3 months later...

Live. There are a FEW songs that I prefer the studio version, but overall, I definitely prefer live. It's just louder, more powerful, and much more energetic. I especially prefer Robert's voice live.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Although the live stuff is fun and innovative, especially songs like No Quarter and Dazed and Confused, if I could only choose one or the other, it would definitely be the studio material. I like the polish and layering of these tracks. There is a sloppiness that intermittently plagued the Zep live material. They were a great live band irrespective, but the studio material is what I like best. And as much as I adore In Through the Out Door, there were some very annoying things going on in the later live shows, such as synths that were too bold and bright, and vocal harmonizers that detracted from the performances. Certain live songs have always been amazing, but overall, the studio material was better IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Studio versions are great, but live ones brought out the best in all the band members. Especially jimmy, be it that legendary 26 min version of D&C or the sibly solo on HTWWW

• 1 year later...

Archived