What Gauge is Jimmy's High "E" String?

No1ZeppelinFan

not sure, im pretty sure it was a 9 though. but he did have a different in his G and B strings. He replaced his standard G string with an unwound B string, so it would be easier to bend. the high E was then used for the B. not sure if this is 100% true. pretty sure it is but he had a High A string from a tenor banjo replaced the high e. not sure bout the last part

not sure, im pretty sure it was a 9 though. but he did have a different in his G and B strings. He replaced his standard G string with an unwound B string, so it would be easier to bend. the high E was then used for the B. not sure if this is 100% true. pretty sure it is but he had a High A string from a tenor banjo replaced the high e. not sure bout the last part

9's AFAIK.

ErnieBallExtraSlinky.jpg

Jimmy Page currently uses (and since the beginning of Zep) Ernie Ball Extra Slinky Strings. (.08 - .38)

Wow! I never even heard or seen of "Extra Slinkys". Crazy.

On the DVD version of "It Might Get Loud" one of the extras was a conversation about the strings they use. Mainly a back and forth between Jack White and the Edge. Jimmy didn't really indicate one way or the other what he was using.

Wow! I never even heard or seen of "Extra Slinkys". Crazy.

On the DVD version of "It Might Get Loud" one of the extras was a conversation about the strings they use. Mainly a back and forth between Jack White and the Edge. Jimmy didn't really indicate one way or the other what he was using.

Actually,in a 1977 interview,Jimmy stated that he used Ernie Ball SUPER SLINKY strings.

Actually,in a 1977 interview,Jimmy stated that he used Ernie Ball SUPER SLINKY strings.

Yea thats what I heard (apart from my story). cause if he used Extra Slinky im gonna have to change my guitar gauge to match him once again.

EDIT:

Heres a few usefull links I found concerning Jimmy and his strings

http://www.ernieball...jimmy-page.html

this says something else: http://wiki.answers...._jimmy_page_use

i still think he uses SUPER SLINKY which is the type i use

EDIT #2:

i also have read that he used SUPER SLINKY but for his high "e" used an 8 gauge

He has changed his string gague in the past, but always seems to go back to the really light ones:

Guitarist magazine July 2003:

JP: "As a rule the Les Paul was always strung with an .008. Later on, you know how people in the 1980s made strange decisions - how they looked, what music they played? (Laughs) I don't think I looked too bad in the 80's but I definitely changed my strings because of the heavy sets that were around then. But I forgot that the really good guitar sounds had been done with all this quite light stringing."

When he mentions "heavy" strings I think I remember him advertising EB .010s back then, so that only "heavy" for someone used to .008s! And he's since gone back to advertising EBs in the lighter gague.

.009s for Walking Into Clarksdale: "Ernie Balls (.009, .011, .015, .024, .032,.042)" Courtesy of The Guitar Magazine (UK) April 1998.

Like I said, he's changed a few times, but mostly likes them light.

• 2 months later...

I think that Jimmy used both 9's and 8's. I would do the same thing, you know. Change gauges.

Also, referring to the heartbreaker solo once, he said something about "terribly light gauge strings," or something like that, and i don't think he meant 9's.

Jimmy's High E (In the zeppelin days) was a .08 gauge. He actually bought a .09 pack but restrung the pack so that the high E (in the .09 package) was in the B string position. So every string was moved up so he could put the Bango .08 string on.

Archived