Jimmy's Book: VERY Limited Edition!

mstork

Deborah J,

Deborah J,

You have nothing to apologise for, and you are certainly never disrespectful to any other member. I hope that when you and the other buyers receive your book, that it fully meets your expectations. My problem, and I suspect that of others, is that Jimmy could have produced a book which was more easily affordable and available for all fans. Yes, Genesis does produce wonderful top end of the market photographic books, but for so many fans it is simply out of their price range. If I may make a comparison, earlier this year, Clint Eastwood collaborated on a retrospective book of his career. Mr Eastwood wrote the introduction. The book contains 300 photographs, many of which have never been published before. It covers every film he made, it is full of production notes, film stills, poster artwork, together with a 20 min DVD. Stars do not come much bigger than Clint. This is for the grand sum of £25 (you will have to translate that into dollars, but the book is available on Amazon). Alright, in terms of the cover and paper, it will not be of the same quality as that of Genesis, but it is a hardback. If Jimmy had produced something along these lines, it would have been bought in its millions by Page fans worldwide. It is really not you and the other buyers who should be the object of criticism here.

Take care

Kenog,

I agree it is an expensive book. Obviously, this didn't cross Jimmy's mind, if it did he would have come out with a more reasonably priced book for the masses. His Gibson guitars he released are overpriced as well.

Deborah,

I rarely post comments, but you didn't say anything wrong at all. You show you have class by apologizing. Tripmender is the one who stated it was a vanity purchase for people who had more money than sense. Deborah then responded with the statement that she had the sense to save for such a thing.

Some people have envy about not being able to purchase the book, for whatever reason. Just because people purchase the book doesn't mean they have lesser sense. If Tripmender wants to say it is too expensive, that's fine, but to make that comment is going to receive some backlash. It's all relative when purchasing expensive things in life. It's just like when people say expensive cars or clothes are overpriced. I guess Page,Plant,Jones and Bonham have lesser sense as well with all the expensive purchases they made over their lifetime.

Let people buy what they want without making derogatory comments.

Thank You Blackdog1971 :D

You are a gentleman. This music is supposed to bring us together. Again, thank you for your wise and kind words.

:thanku:

Deborah J,

Deborah J,

You have nothing to apologise for, and you are certainly never disrespectful to any other member. I hope that when you and the other buyers receive your book, that it fully meets your expectations. My problem, and I suspect that of others, is that Jimmy could have produced a book which was more easily affordable and available for all fans. Yes, Genesis does produce wonderful top end of the market photographic books, but for so many fans it is simply out of their price range. If I may make a comparison, earlier this year, Clint Eastwood collaborated on a retrospective book of his career. Mr Eastwood wrote the introduction. The book contains 300 photographs, many of which have never been published before. It covers every film he made, it is full of production notes, film stills, poster artwork, together with a 20 min DVD. Stars do not come much bigger than Clint. This is for the grand sum of £25 (you will have to translate that into dollars, but the book is available on Amazon). Alright, in terms of the cover and paper, it will not be of the same quality as that of Genesis, but it is a hardback. If Jimmy had produced something along these lines, it would have been bought in its millions by Page fans worldwide. It is really not you and the other buyers who should be the object of criticism here.

Take care

Hi kenog!

Thank you for the reponse. It is appreciated. :)

Kenog,

I agree it is an expensive book. Obviously, this didn't cross Jimmy's mind, if it did he would have come out with a more reasonably priced book for the masses. His Gibson guitars he released are overpriced as well.

I am sure it did more than cross his mind. This is the project he has in mind regardless of fan's abilities to buy it or not. This is a "vanity" project and I recognize it as such. I don't mind buying it.

I cannot for the life of me understand why I am being told I have "have more money than sense" for having bought a book.

I also bought tickets to the o2. Those were not cheap (and once you factor in airfare and a hotel in London, make this book look like a bargain). Did I have more money than sense when I bought those tickets?

If you don't think the book is worth the money, fine. But dont take a shot at the sensibilities of others who do see a value in it.

What up, Dandu.

I don't mean to offend anybody's sensibilities. You are of course perfectly at liberty to use your financial resources to consume whatever takes your fancy. I was merely expressing an opinion. Whether others share my opinion is of no consequence to me. So mote it be.

As for myself, I too could afford it, but consider it a colossal waste of money. Instead, I'm relying on a hunch that this is an example of price skimming, and that a version will in due course emerge whose price more accurately reflects the cost of its production.

I cannot for the life of me understand why I am being told I have "have more money than sense" for having bought a book.

I also bought tickets to the o2. Those were not cheap (and once you factor in airfare and a hotel in London, make this book look like a bargain). Did I have more money than sense when I bought those tickets?

If you don't think the book is worth the money, fine. But dont take a shot at the sensibilities of others who do see a value in it.

Hello Dandu!

Great post! :thumbsup:

I am also a little suprised at the negative comments going out to Jimmy for the price of this book. It is a limited edition with his actual authorization!

Some people just have to be negative IMHO.

Good thing none of the Zep lads are into clubbing baby seals.

Cool book. But the value of something can be a fickle thing. At that cost, it's too much for my wallet. I hope those who got it enjoy it and feel they got their money's/fan's worth.

I have more of a chance of owning an authentic Louis Vuitton handbag than this book. Sad. :( To be honest, his autobiography/picture book/whatever you want to call it is priceless. So those of you who have the money/saved up for this are very lucky and blessed. Perhaps we can make some sort of "renting" arrangement :D. Yah...right.

What up, Dandu.

I don't mean to offend anybody's sensibilities. You are of course perfectly at liberty to use your financial resources to consume whatever takes your fancy. I was merely expressing an opinion. Whether others share my opinion is of no consequence to me. So mote it be.

As for myself, I too could afford it, but consider it a colossal waste of money. Instead, I'm relying on a hunch that this is an example of price skimming, and that a version will in due course emerge whose price more accurately reflects the cost of its production.

I don't have any issue with you thinking it is a colossal waste of money. I might feel the same way about stamp collecting or beanie babies. My issue was with you saying that anybody who does not share that view has "more money than sense". I gather from your last post you didnt mean to offend. Accordingly, we have no quibble. To each his own.

Cheers,

Dandu

Hello Dandu!

Great post! :thumbsup:

I am also a little suprised at the negative comments going out to Jimmy for the price of this book. It is a limited edition with his actual authorization!

Some people just have to be negative IMHO.

Thanks Deborah J!

Seeing as the first 350 copies sold out in about a day (those were the most expensive ones), obviously there is a market for them at that price. The market really speaks for itself. Personally I bought the book because I think it will be really cool to have a first-hand signed edition. Straight from the printing press to Jimmy to me. For me, that is priceless. If others don't share that view, that is ok too.

By the way Genesis just mailed me a receipt. I have never been so excited about a receipt before. Have you got yours yet?

I bought the deluxe edition and to me it will be worth every penny . We are talking Jimmy Page personally overseeing production of the book. A book that is limited, hand bound leather, gold leaf and made by craftsman. I feel honored to be one of 350 people who will possess this edition. Also hand signed by Jimmy Page.I'm never going to have the honor or pleasure of meeting Jimmy, but it will sure blow my mind to have this book signed by the man himself.With all the money I have spent on bootlegs over the past 30 years(about $20,000)I dont mind at all throwing Jimmy $1134.00 for this beautiful book. The bootleggers got all that money from me and Jimmy got none of it.I have gotten so much live music that was "taken" from Jimmy and I am sure I have downloaded(I no longer buy bootleg cds/silvers) enough shows that well exceed the value of $1134.00. So now I gave my money to Jimmy and in return I get this beautifully made book signed by JIMMY PAGE. I just received my receipt by airmail. I cant wait to see the mail lady show up with my package.

I bought the deluxe edition and to me it will be worth every penny . We are talking Jimmy Page personally overseeing production of the book. A book that is limited, hand bound leather, gold leaf and made by craftsman. I feel honored to be one of 350 people who will possess this edition. Also hand signed by Jimmy Page.I'm never going to have the honor or pleasure of meeting Jimmy, but it will sure blow my mind to have this book signed by the man himself.With all the money I have spent on bootlegs over the past 30 years(about $20,000)I dont mind at all throwing Jimmy $1134.00 for this beautiful book. The bootleggers got all that money from me and Jimmy got none of it.I have gotten so much live music that was "taken" from Jimmy and I am sure I have downloaded(I no longer buy bootleg cds/silvers) enough shows that well exceed the value of $1134.00. So now I gave my money to Jimmy and in return I get this beautifully made book signed by JIMMY PAGE. I just received my receipt by airmail. I cant wait to see the mail lady show up with my package.

..well said, you have your reasons and I respect that....Every Edition is signed by Jimmy, that is indeed priceless....I will never forget my innocent years with struggling young immigrant family in the 70's...Jimmy's image is forever engraved in my heart with those memories...at times it was difficult enough to buy magazines with my mom shopping, but Now I can afford those photos...we have worked very hard to be in this affordable position, these photos are part of our past and reminder for our future generation...priceless...

I got my receipt last week.

I am grateful for this forum where I can connect with fellow LZ fans, whether they approve of the book or not! I personally have lived very frugally most of my life and even now I don't have many things that others consider necessities. But I am glad I can afford the things I really want.

Rock on and long live the mighty Led Zeppelin!

Thanks Deborah J!

Seeing as the first 350 copies sold out in about a day (those were the most expensive ones), obviously there is a market for them at that price. The market really speaks for itself. Personally I bought the book because I think it will be really cool to have a first-hand signed edition. Straight from the printing press to Jimmy to me. For me, that is priceless. If others don't share that view, that is ok too.

By the way Genesis just mailed me a receipt. I have never been so excited about a receipt before. Have you got yours yet?

Hello Dandu!

I have not checked mail in a week :o , so when I check today I will let you know.

What you and PlanetPage stated :thumbsup:

Edit: Crowley, One of the best post I have ever read :goodpost:

Deborah J,

Deborah J,

Take care

I forgot about this thread, but I agree with you Kenog. I have another pal who has bought the book and am not the least bit jealous, I am really looking forward to him getting it and being able to look at it. Deborah you are a lucky lady but Karma brings luck so you must deserve it. ;):beer:

I forgot about this thread, but I agree with you Kenog. I have another pal who has bought the book and am not the least bit jealous, I am really looking forward to him getting it and being able to look at it. Deborah you are a lucky lady but Karma brings luck so you must deserve it. ;):beer:

Very kind, thank you, I wished we could ALL afford everything they have official, or to have been able to travel and attend every concert they ever did. I had no extra money in the 80's and early 90's and missed so much. I can't wait to get this book :D

Ok. This whole notion of luck and karma has given me a great idea.

I am prepared to donate $100 toward the purchase of a Jimmy Page book to be raffled off on this site. If a few other people donate some money in the name of good karma, we can easily purchase one. Then, any member of the site can buy a raffle ticket for $25 (or some other amount to be determined) for a chance to win the book. The money raised will go to Mount Sinai hospital in Toronto which, I seem to recall, is a charity near and dear to Webmaster Sam's heart (more good karma).

Think about it. If 50 people buy a ticket we can raise over $1200 for charity and give everybody a 1 in 50 shot at having a copy of the book for themselves. Those are pretty good odds for a $600 book with a $25 investment. I think it could be a lot of fun and help a great cause.

I should say that I have not cleared this with Sam, so it would, of course, be subject to his approval, especially because it would be best if he collected the money and did the draw - to avoid any concern about impropriety.

I guess before going to Sam, it might be prudent to see if there would be any interest in either donating toward the book purchase or buying tickets. Anybody interested?

I am prepared to donate $100 toward the purchase of a Jimmy Page book to be raffled off on this site. If a few other people donate some money in the name of good karma, we can easily purchase one. Then, any member of the site can buy a raffle ticket for $25 (or some other amount to be determined) for a chance to win the book. The money raised will go to Mount Sinai hospital in Toronto which, I seem to recall, is a charity near and dear to Webmaster Sam's heart (more good karma).

Think about it. If 50 people buy a ticket we can raise over $1200 for charity and give everybody a 1 in 50 shot at having a copy of the book for themselves. Those are pretty good odds for a $600 book with a $25 investment. I think it could be a lot of fun and help a great cause.

I should say that I have not cleared this with Sam, so it would, of course, be subject to his approval, especially because it would be best if he collected the money and did the draw - to avoid any concern about impropriety.

I guess before going to Sam, it might be prudent to see if there would be any interest in either donating toward the book purchase or buying tickets. Anybody interested?

Fine idea, I'd be interested!

Double post, sorry!

....interesting idea, will support as details unfold...I think ticket prices need to be in the easy affordable category for participation and fun...

I don't know much about the Mount Sinai hospital, but what about the money raised going to the ABC Trust as it has a direct JP connection? Just a suggestion, I know all these causes are deserving.

Archived