Robert Plant Wearing Jimmy Page T-Shirts On Tour

SteveAJones

Robert Plant in 1990. I remember when he was wearing those shirts during his solo shows. Brings back the memories of the young cynic in myself due to what I percieved as the power of suggestion. Jimmy Page appearing onstage with Robert without having to actually be onstage with Robert. Robert's setlists being 60 percent Zep songs & references. The same year he put the kibosh on a proposed Zep reunion. The more things change...

Brings back the memories of the young cynic in myself due to what I percieved as the power of suggestion. Jimmy Page appearing onstage with Robert without having to actually be onstage with Robert.

That's interesting, and though I too am cynical I never thought of it that way. I'll be posting more as he wore them at multiple gigs during the Autumn 1990 leg of the tour (the shirt itself was released to coincide with the Led Zeppelin boxed set).

Steve I always enjoy your topics & posts even when they're non-Zep or even non-music related because you have a very encyclopedic mind & you have great recall. You constantly bring back memories of mine I've thought were long gone.

You just brought back memories of all the hate mail from the ZOSO fanzine. People on this board may think that Robert gets a lot of criticism here today for their own various reasons but it was nothing like it was back then. Outright hatred lol.

I remember there was the annoyance of Taylor(ZOSO publisher) & the letters he printed from fans due to the abundance of Zep references in his show from the shirt, the Zep heavy set list, the Song Remains The Same video backdrops, etc. I'm sure most people who attended the shows left more than happy while others felt he was exploiting Zep for his own benefit particularly over a lot of his comments in the press at the time, & even more infuriating to Taylor & co, Phil Johnstone's.

I don't know :D . I guess I was pretty pissed back then too. I know I would have been equally pissed at Page for wearing a Plant shirt at a Coverdale/Page show underneath his white dragon outfit with his Hermit video playing in the backdrop to the sounds "Feeling Hot". Fortunately though, that never happend.

Steve I always enjoy your topics & posts even when they're non-Zep or even non-music related because you have a very encyclopedic mind & you have great recall. You constantly bring back memories of mine I've thought were long gone.

You just brought back memories of all the hate mail from the ZOSO fanzine. People on this board may think that Robert gets a lot of criticism here today for their own various reasons but it was nothing like it was back then. Outright hatred lol.

I remember there was the annoyance of Taylor(ZOSO publisher) & the letters he printed from fans due to the abundance of Zep references in his show from the shirt, the Zep heavy set list, the Song Remains The Same video backdrops, etc. I'm sure most people who attended the shows left more than happy while others felt he was exploiting Zep for his own benefit particularly over a lot of his comments in the press at the time, & even more infuriating to Taylor & co, Phil Johnstone's.

I don't know biggrin.gif . I guess I was pretty pissed back then too. I know I would have been equally pissed at Page for wearing a Plant shirt at a Coverdale/Page show underneath his white dragon outfit with his Hermit video playing in the backdrop to the sounds "Feeling Hot". Fortunately though, that never happend.

For Robert, post-Zeppelin it's always been (and always will be) damned if you do, damned if you don't. There was caterwauling when he proclaimed "no more Led anything" in '82, but when he finally incorporated it into

his solo career he was promptly blasted by some for what was seen as having his cake and eating it too. For goodness sake, he was 1/4 of that band and I saw the t-shirt as a long-overdue public expression of pride in

his association with Jimmy Page. Definitely a fashion statement, and while I understand the cynics I just don't agree with the criticism.

For Robert, post-Zeppelin it's always been (and always will be) damned if you do, damned if you don't. There was caterwauling when he proclaimed "no more Led anything" in '82, but when he finally incorporated it into

his solo career he was promptly blasted by some for what was seen as having his cake and eating it too. For goodness sake, he was 1/4 of that band and I saw the t-shirt as a long-overdue public expression of pride in

his association with Jimmy Page. Definitely a fashion statement, and while I understand the cynics I just don't agree with the criticism.

I hear you, that's why I posted my thoughts & memories that photo had brought back.

I think on this board that there is often a good deal of misunderstanding behind what a person posts in a thread or as a topic starter & sometimes those posts aren't always clearly executed but we all differ in how we express ourselves for various reasons. Those photos that you posted Steve, brought back those memories of me just turning 18 & when I read some posts in other threads about Robert this or Robert that, I may disagree with them NOW, but I do understand the critical nature behind them. At 18, or in that age range during that period, I loved Zep so much it was almost overwhelming, what they meant as a band, a musical entity, & unfortunately even as a "thing". I was so passionate about the band I often spoke before my mind formed what I had to say, so looking back I can't help but laugh at myself a bit, the balls I had to second guess Robert Plant's feelings about Zeppelin as if Zeppelin somehow belonged more to me than him. I think the vast majority of people here on the forum just love that band, Led Zeppelin, that "thing" that they were/are. I still believe on this forum that the band & what they have done/do together or apart can & should be constructively criticised because I think it is out of love as one would have for a dear friend & the flipside is that blind devotion even in defense of a dear friend can be a dangerous thing no matter how well intentioned.

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread for a bit Steve :D That photo just really made me self reflect a bit. Back on topic: I did buy that exact Jimmy Page shirt though, mainly because Robert Plant wore it despite how much he pissed me off at the time lol.

I hear you, that's why I posted my thoughts & memories that photo had brought back.

I think on this board that there is often a good deal of misunderstanding behind what a person posts in a thread or as a topic starter & sometimes those posts aren't always clearly executed but we all differ in how we express ourselves for various reasons. Those photos that you posted Steve, brought back those memories of me just turning 18 & when I read some posts in other threads about Robert this or Robert that, I may disagree with them NOW, but I do understand the critical nature behind them. At 18, or in that age range during that period, I loved Zep so much it was almost overwhelming, what they meant as a band, a musical entity, & unfortunately even as a "thing". I was so passionate about the band I often spoke before my mind formed what I had to say, so looking back I can't help but laugh at myself a bit, the balls I had to second guess Robert Plant's feelings about Zeppelin as if Zeppelin somehow belonged more to me than him. I think the vast majority of people here on the forum just love that band, Led Zeppelin, that "thing" that they were/are. I still believe on this forum that the band & what they have done/do together or apart can & should be constructively criticised because I think it is out of love as one would have for a dear friend & the flipside is that blind devotion even in defense of a dear friend can be a dangerous thing no matter how well intentioned.

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread for a bit Steve biggrin.gif That photo just really made me self reflect a bit. Back on topic: I did buy that exact Jimmy Page shirt though, mainly because Robert Plant wore it despite how much he pissed me off at the time lol.

Insofar as this thread, among others, my intent was to post something evocative. It was meant to be an exercise in stimulus and response from inception - presenting Robert Plant wearing Jimmy Page t-shirts - so there was no derailment here, but the potential is always there when discussing esoteric topics such as this.

As far as I can recall, Plant got this shirt when he visited a Page gig in 88. Some people were/are way too cynical, my thoughts.

Robert attended Jimmy's 10/29/88 gig at The Centrum in Worcester, MA and while at least three t-shirts were available

this t-shirt - and I could be mistaken - was not tour merchandise but retail merchandise licensed to and sold by Bill Graham's Winterland Productions in Autumn '90. Then again, it could also be bootleg merchandise. Regardless, so far as I know Robert never wore the shirt onstage prior to the second leg of his 1990 North American tour, which coincided with the release of the Led Zeppelin boxed set in September. I'm still looking into all of this.

Robert attended Jimmy's 10/29/88 gig at The Centrum in Worcester, MA and while at least three t-shirts were available

this t-shirt - and I could be mistaken - was not tour merchandise but retail merchandise licensed to and sold by Bill Graham's Winterland Productions in Autumn '90. Then again, it could also be bootleg merchandise. Regardless, so far as I know Robert never wore the shirt onstage prior to the second leg of his 1990 North American tour, which coincided with the release of the Led Zeppelin boxed set in September. I'm still looking into all of this.

Steve, we have both seen a photo of him wearing this shirt in 88, probably in the Plant pics thread. You have even listed the information of Chris Blackwell's wrist being broken at that time.

Steve, we have both seen a photo of him wearing this shirt in 88, probably in the Plant pics thread. You have even listed the information of Chris Blackwell's wrist being broken at that time.

Thanks for the gentle reminder. Blackwell broke his wrist Oct 7th 1988 in Norman, OK. Robert attended Jimmy's Worcester, MA concert Oct 29th and there is photographic proof he wore this shirt at his own concert held in the same venue the very next night, which further substantiates having acquired it at Jimmy's gig.

19881030Worcester.jpg

"Walking Off" Centrum, Worcester MA, October 30, 1988

glicine, on 06 September 2009, said

If I remember correctly, he wore a Page t-shirt on the 88 tour too?

SteveAJones, on 06 September 2009, said

Correct. Robert got that Jimmy Page t-shirt when he attended Jimmy's 10/29/88 Centrum gig in Worcester, MA. Robert played the same venue the next night and his tour ran into December. Same thing applies - it was worn on multiple nights but I can't say with certainty (yet) if it was worn at every show after 10/29.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Plant was wearing a Page t shirt when I saw him perform October, 25, 1990. Another general admission show where I was able to get pretty close to the stage after The Black Crowes set. The food fight onstage during Plant's set was pretty damn funny. Another great performance.

i remember him putting on a page shirt...course we all were hoping for an appearance by jimmy that night......he got a huge round of applause naturally.........one of the shows i did not tape however

good ole zoso magazine.......just for the F of it

zo.jpg

Insofar as this thread, among others, my intent was to post something evocative. It was meant to be an exercise in stimulus and response from inception - presenting Robert Plant wearing Jimmy Page t-shirts - so there was no derailment here, but the potential is always there when discussing esoteric topics such as this.

I thought it cool and odd at the same time.

I remembered Page joined Plant onstage at Knebworth a few months prior to Plant's U.S. tour. Performed a Zepp tune never played live before, and both looked to be enjoying the moment. At least that's how I remember it.

I was thinking the Knebworth gig might have motivated Plant to wear Page regalia when he hit the states...

That's interesting, and though I too am cynical I never thought of it that way. I'll be posting more as he wore them at multiple gigs during the Autumn 1990 leg of the tour (the shirt itself was released to coincide with the Led Zeppelin boxed set).

Great thread that brings back memories of feeling cynical as well, seeing him wear the Jimmy t-shirt in concert in 1990. What's funny was that I was at Robert's early August shows, back to back nights in Phoenix and Tucson, and he didn't wear the Jimmy t-shirt either night.

Then I saw him at Red Rocks in Denver in mid September. He didn't wear the Jimmy t-shirt until the encore. It must have been one of the first nights he wore it onstage, as I remember him walking to the microphone, chest out to show off the t-shirt, and not saying a word for what seemed like 2-3 minutes. Then, the band went right into Over the Hills and Far Away for their first encore number (which they did not play in Phoenix or Tucson).

Now older, and hopefully wiser, I'd like to think he was just honoring his old chum!

• 3 weeks later...

The first time I ever saw Robert Plant, Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto Canada..October 3, 1990..he wore a Jimmy Page shirt...there is a clip on youtube with him wearing it, and playing guitar during the song "Anniversary".. it was amazing.

• 1 year later...

Archived