What's up with modern day American female accents?

DRUNK08

It's probably, um, a girl thing.

I think the girl thing is part of it. Words like "like", "you know", "ummm" starts out as nervous filler in the conversation and can become a bad habit. But somewhere along the way the movies portrayed the valley girl talk as being cool and cute, so girls perpetuated that kind of talk. Hopefully as they get older they will grow out of it and talk without all those unnecessary conversational embelishments.

There was actually a study by linguists about the "uptalking" thing in America. Apparently it started in the 70's but no one seems to know why. The researchers who did the study theorized that the questioning, uncertain tone used by young girls and boys reflected the relativism of the culture they were raised in, as well as the increasing instability of the world. Really.

No word on why Scottish people uptalk though. [That's not a knock! I love the way they speak]

There was actually a study by linguists about the "uptalking" thing in America. Apparently it started in the 70's but no one seems to know why. The researchers who did the study theorized that the questioning, uncertain tone used by young girls and boys reflected the relativism of the culture they were raised in, as well as the increasing instability of the world. Really.

No word on why Scottish people uptalk though. [That's not a knock! I love the way they speak]

:D It dates back to my high school days and I'm 44:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0AvOCF3eP0

From what I've been told, Kiwi's have the worst accents of anyone who speak English.

No, No, No, Geordie's mate, Geordie's, then Scousers, Mancs, Brummies, Bristolians, and even Cockneys are worse than New Zealanders, Australians are in my opinion upholding the age old tradition of trying to distance themselves from anything English, and the best English accent around has to be any one of a dozen American ones, thanks for keeping the faith. :D

Scotch, Paddies and Welchers can eat my kilt, and don't even get me on the subject of how Black people have brought our language down to the depths of a dyslexic Klingon. I prefer the stumbling of the French or Germans trying to get understood but the Japs and Chinks can give you a good laugh. :lol:

"Y U No Fucky Rissa, U U Stukid Trit" from my sister in law, always got us in stitches. :lol: (She's Japanese)

Retards, Danny

I'm a sucker for southern accents, especially Kentucky. ;)

I can not CAN NOT stand the Brooklyn/Long Island accent. For the record, unless you live within a 30mile radius of New York, people in New Jersey DO NOT speak like that.

Me too! I love Alabama's, particularly Montgomery's, the best. North Carolina and Kentucky are both good ones, too. I swear, I love NASCAR just for the accents, haha. Although there are getting to be a few too many Midwesterners in there...on the other hand, if that Midwesterner is Chad Knaus, GAWD, I could listen to him talk all day! Oh jeez, I'm derailing the thread onto NASCAR of all things! Ok, time to go!

Me too! I love Alabama's, particularly Montgomery's, the best. North Carolina and Kentucky are both good ones, too. I swear, I love NASCAR just for the accents, haha. Although there are getting to be a few too many Midwesterners in there...on the other hand, if that Midwesterner is Chad Knaus, GAWD, I could listen to him talk all day! Oh jeez, I'm derailing the thread onto NASCAR of all things! Ok, time to go!

Montgomery. The state capital.

Where the guvahnah lives.

Archived