Times Online Interview with Page

bigzepfan

Thanks, glicine! smile.gif

I love all of Jimmy's interviews.

It seems like he is inspired and enthused about playing at this time, which is fantastic! And the music will be "radically different", as he says. smile.gif

And I feel empathy for him as you can tell from his interviews how disappointed he was when it all ended after the O2 concert, as he was hoping for more than just the one gig. And I get the impression that he had also been hoping for the time to come when they would all play together again, but now he realizes that its not going to happen as the others are busy, and two years have past, and now he is tired of waiting and the time has come for him to go out on his own.

And we get it straight from Jimmy that there is no O2 DVD in the works to be forthcoming. sad.gif

It seems Jimmy is busy with the press these days.

Here is another piece.

Jimmy Page talks about his new film and the legacy of Led Zeppelin

The Led Zeppelin founder member, producer, conceptualist and guitar god has his grey hair pulled back in a ponytail. Dressed in black and sipping from a can of Red Bull, Jimmy Page looks every inch the ageing wizard of rock.

Sitting in the offices of Gibson guitars in central London, Page, who turns 66 tomorrow, is here to chat about a new documentary feature film It Might Get Loud. The movie tells the story of the electric guitar as experienced by Jimmy, U2's The Edge and Jack White of The White Stripes.

Even in the company of such illustrious fellow axemen, it's clear who is the documentary's star. It could hardly be otherwise.

From callow beginnings as a Surrey teen playing skiffle, through studio session work on records by The Who, The Kinks, Joe Cocker and others, Page joined The Yardbirds in 1966 before moving on two years later to the world- conquering, all-powerful might of Zep.

Their furious blend of pulverising sexuality, folky mysticism and pure musical fire shifted an incredible 200 million albums and Zeppelin - who split in 1980 following the death of drummer John Bonham - remain one of the most influential bands of all time.

They've reunited on a few occasions since, notably in 2007 for a triumphant one-off gig at London's O2 arena, but vocalist Robert Plant's reluctance to tour again under the Zeppelin banner may have finally consigned them to history.

At the band's centre there was always Page - guitarist, producer and one-man, post-war sonic revolution. When he talks about music in the documentary, he inevitably uses sexual comparisons. He describes how his celebrated solo for Zep's Stairway To Heaven "kept going - like an orgasm" and how each guitar is "like a woman", with its individual smell, shape and feel.

"I'm not the only one who sees a similarity between a sweet woman and a sweet guitar. But I omitted one thing - at the end of the day they don't ask you for alimony," Jimmy says.

With five children via three partners and two marriages, plus celebrated affairs with 70s groupies such as Bebe Buell, Page - last seen playing at the closing ceremony of last year's Beijing Olympics - has had an eventful life with the ladies.

Musically, Led Zeppelin are his greatest achievement and, with Plant - currently riding high on his bluegrass partnership with Alison Krauss - refusing to follow up their O2 reunion gig, his biggest frustration.

"The band was carefully planned," Page recalls of Zep's creation. "I felt I knew what was really needed and had started to pioneer the ideas in The Yardbirds. With Zeppelin I wanted to get four exceptional players, virtuoso musicians - not just a guitarist out there at the front noodling about. The music I thrived on as a kid was about groups of players and how they played together as a band."

In the movie, Page returns to Headley Grange, the reputedly haunted 18th-century former poor house in Hampshire where Zeppelin recorded some of their most devastating masterpieces.

"Going back there was a very emotional experience," he admits. "I had never been back to the hall, the rooms where I recorded or the bedroom I stayed in. That place had an atmosphere all of its own. I really thrived on it, but the others freaked out and left."

Page has tried other ventures since Zeppelin collapsed but none have come close to the O2 gig, with Bonham's son Jason on drums, which showed they are still unbeatable.

"Jason was heroic," smiles Jim. "We got to the point of communication where we were changing what we were doing. The way the numbers were played was very much like Zeppelin was in the past. Had we done a second show it would have been different from the first."

So will it ever happen again?

"You'll have to ask Robert," he says briefly, although not noticeably agitated. "You can't do it without a singer. Well, you can't do it without any of us... but everyone else is keen."

I guess even rock 'n' roll wizards need help to cast their spells.

Source here:mirror

Alimony talk again? :unsure:

Archived