Outrider (1988)

I attended 2 shows from the Outrider Tour and have many many boots. How anyone could have said Jimmy couldn't play any more is beyond me.

The songs are good and he was in top notch form. I also love the Firm, saw a few shows and was blown away each time. also have many boots from this period too. Jimmy was still playing very well. I guess for some if it isnt zeppelin all the way then its nothing. I wasnt a big fan of Jimmy with TBC because I really dont like them very much but I'm sure Jimmy was up to snuff.

The stuff he plays on the Coverdale page album is just incredible, Jammin riffs, great solos even the lyrics were pretty good. The one thing I dont like about it is Coverdale. Never was a fan of his voice or his persona.

Jimmy was one of the most imaginative guitarists ever and I dare say that it will be a long time before there's another one who can come close to his genius for writing and producing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/16/2014 at 5:29 AM, SteveAJones said:

Just uploaded.

Very cool, I just happen to be listening to a recording of the concert at the LA Forum (10/7/1988), so it was nice to stumble on to this while looking for photos from that concert, thank you Steve. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been looking for a "Superstar Concert Series" vinyl with music from the Outrider tour, but have not found one. But today I sort of found one and picked it up; it has different sets from different artists including 3 live songs from the Outrider tour; "Who's to Blame", "Prelude", and "Over The Hills and Far Away" on side 1 and two songs from Robert Plant on side 6. It also includes Aerosmith, Bon Jovi and others. I am happy to have a Westwood One vinyl with at least some of the Outrider tour on it! :D

Edited by luvlz2

On 6/2/2015 at 10:35 PM, zepscoda said:

Just stumbled across the Nassau show on YouTube. Loved this show...took my moms car while she was sleeping to get to this concert...lol

The crowd erupts insane screaming during White Summer.  And then freaks out during In My Time of Dying.  There is little doubt that the hunger for Led Zeppelin is so great that there was no honest reason for not doing the Zep reunion. This is where Plant fucked up -- he's not an honest guy.  Yes, a lot of Americans bought now and Zen but that's only because the album straddled the rip-off point where they took all the records out of the record stores and replaced them with CDs, so that album was sold and bought twice.  But nobody gave a damn about Robert Plant's solo career by 1990 - we were fed up waiting for a led Zep reunion and too busy with our own stuff to care about anything else.  It should have happened in the late 1980s. The mid-90s was too late, and not including Jones in Plant-Page was hubris.  Jimmy gets it, and was trying to give the people what they badly wanted in 1988.  Robert? His head has been pretty far up his arse for three decades, if not longer.

Edited by Mercurious

1 hour ago, Mercurious said:

Jimmy gets it, and was trying to give the people what they badly wanted in 1988.  Robert? His head has been pretty far up his arse for three decades, if not longer.

Jimmy gave the people what they wanted in '88 -- it was a great tour -- but it also revealed he was not a big draw on his own outside of major markets. That was somewhat surprising given the massive amount of label promotion and airplay Outrider received. Robert Plant? He could pretty much play anywhere in '88 and pack them in and his solo album yielded no less than three hits--Heaven Knows, Tall Cool One and Ship Of Fools. Simply stated, Robert was the more ambitious and successful of the two at that point in time. Robert Plant must have played three times as many dates as Jimmy Page in 1988. He also went on a media blitz--he was everywhere!

4 hours ago, Mercurious said:

The crowd erupts insane screaming during White Summer.  And then freaks out during In My Time of Dying.  There is little doubt that the hunger for Led Zeppelin is so great that there was no honest reason for not doing the Zep reunion. This is where Plant fucked up -- he's not an honest guy.  Yes, a lot of Americans bought now and Zen but that's only because the album straddled the rip-off point where they took all the records out of the record stores and replaced them with CDs, so that album was sold and bought twice.  But nobody gave a damn about Robert Plant's solo career by 1990 - we were fed up waiting for a led Zep reunion and too busy with our own stuff to care about anything else.  It should have happened in the late 1980s. The mid-90s was too late, and not including Jones in Plant-Page was hubris.  Jimmy gets it, and was trying to give the people what they badly wanted in 1988.  Robert? His head has been pretty far up his arse for three decades, if not longer.

I have to agree with you on this Mercurious, we all wanted a Zep reuinion and album.

To me Outrider was a let down due to the vocals and lyrics.  The only truly great track on Outrider is The Only One.  Plant is so great on that track.  His phrasing and delivery are unique.  And those typical Plant oblique lyrics.  Yes Jimmy is a powerhouse on the album and the tour was great, but frankly John Miles was horrible and Chris Farlowe was almost worse.  So generic and so boring.

When I listen to Outrider today I am thinking The Only One is what Zeppelin could have been in the 80s.  It is fresh, different and not just 70s Zeppelin.  

I also think Crackback from Scream for Help is another example of what Zeppelin could have been in the 80s.  It has the magic and spark.  Now if Jones had been involved in Outrider it could have been special, at least instrumental tracks.  

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy gave the people what they wanted in '88 -- it was a great tour -- but it also revealed he was not a big draw on his own outside of major markets. That was somewhat surprising given the massive amount of label promotion and airplay Outrider received. Robert Plant? He could pretty much play anywhere in '88 and pack them in and his solo album yielded no less than three hits--Heaven Knows, Tall Cool One and Ship Of Fools. Simply stated, Robert was the more ambitious and successful of the two at that point in time. Robert Plant must have played three times as many dates as Jimmy Page in 1988. He also went on a media blitz--he was everywhere!

You had to be everywhere and stay everywhere for years!!   They took all the LPS away in Fall of 88 and it took a while for everybody to buy not only the CD but the stuff you needed to listen to the CD. And this was during the Bush recession!!!  Guns N Roses just stayed out on tour for three years while the consumers caught up. 1988-1989-1990 was probably THE worse time to release an album.  There were Camelot Music storage facilities filled with good/great records hardly anybody heard.  Outrider was one of those. On many levels, the industry kinda forced us (we the American consumer) into the underground, where at least we could buy LPs and trade tapes. Mainstream rock radio was shamefully bad.

Not to make excuses for Jimmy, but he walked away from a market in upheaval. Anyway, we needed him to stay at home and work on the catalog. 

22 minutes ago, Mercurious said:

You had to be everywhere and stay everywhere for years!!   They took all the LPS away in Fall of 88 and it took a while for everybody to buy not only the CD but the stuff you needed to listen to the CD. And this was during the Bush recession!!!  Guns N Roses just stayed out on tour for three years while the consumers caught up. 1988-1989-1990 was probably THE worse time to release an album.  There were Camelot Music storage facilities filled with good/great records hardly anybody heard.  Outrider was one of those. On many levels, the industry kinda forced us (we the American consumer) into the underground, where at least we could buy LPs and trade tapes. Mainstream rock radio was shamefully bad.

Not to make excuses for Jimmy, but he walked away from a market in upheaval. Anyway, we needed him to stay at home and work on the catalog. 

While I do see and appreciate the logic of your viewpoint, it didn't stop Bon Jovi from selling 18 million copies of New Jersey.

Anyway, it does support my point that a 40-something date US/UK tour was relatively unambitious. On the other hand, he was struggling to fill seats in the smaller markets.

11 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

How many cities from the Outrider tour were recorded and broadcast by Westwood One for the Superstar Concert Series?

EDITED: Only two, Cleveland and Dayton, however neither was broadcast in it's entirety. 

https://www.discogs.com/Jimmy-Page-Superstar-Concert-Series/release/6971367

Edited by SteveAJones

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Just going from memory... I believe the Westwood One broadcast was a combination of Dayton and Cleveland.

You have better accuracy going from memory than I! The Westwood One mobile truck was at both shows and here's the run down on which show was used for the program referenced above:

01 - Who's To Blame - Cleveland
02 - Prelude - Cleveland
03 - Over The Hills And Far Away - Dayton
04 - Writes Of Winter - Cleveland
05 - Tear Down The Walls - Cleveland
06 - Emerald Eyes - Dayton
07 - Midnight Moonlight Lady - Dayton
08 - In My Time Of Dying - Dayton
09 - Prison Blues - Dayton
10 - Wasting My Time - Cleveland
11 - Custard Pie - Black Dog - Cleveland
12 - Train Kept A Rollin' - Dayton