which musical acts do you own all or most of their albums?

pumajet0

I stopped buying albums/cds along time ago. Why buy them now when all you have to do is go to YouTube and listen to almost every song ever written or recorded by almost everyone in the whole history of recorded Music. If you can type, then you can hear almost any song that comes into your mind.

The only cds I would consider buying now are the Led Zeppelin bootlegs that I do not already own. Even then, I can still listen to these great live show in some format or another without having to leave the confines of my own personal space and spending money on them.

I stopped buying albums/cds along time ago. Why buy them now when all you have to do is go to YouTube and listen to almost every song ever written or recorded by almost everyone in the whole history of recorded Music. If you can type, then you can hear almost any song that comes into your mind.

Watching or listening to a song on YouTube isn't quite the same as owning the actual physical product so you can enjoy the artwork, read the liner notes, etc. Not to mention, not every song uploaded to YouTube is of high quality. In fact, a great deal of the clips are amateur shot footage by fans that are of very poor audio/visual quality. That may be ok just to get some general idea of what an artist is like but personally, I still prefer owning an artists' record on vinyl or CD. Now, there is also Spotify that also allows someone to hear nearly any music in the world that's ever been released and even more of it for a hierarchy of subscriber fees so the artists actually get paid. This is streaming service, so again, you're not going to be owning the physical product but you will have the ability to have the music sent to most any mobile device that has an internet connection. If there's anything that's come along in recent years that may spell the end of CDs and vinyl, this is it.

The only cds I would consider buying now are the Led Zeppelin bootlegs that I do not already own. Even then, I can still listen to these great live show in some format or another without having to leave the confines of my own personal space and spending money on them.

With the advent of torrent sites there's no reason whatsoever to put money in the hands of bootleggers. If I'm going to spend money on music, I want it to go to the artists themselves anyway, not someone out to profit off of illegal recordings.

I don't pay for bootlegs. They didn't have permission to record the show, so why should they get paid for it? I understand there's labor/materials involved if they're making CDs and artwork to go along with them, but it would be no different than me ripping a copy of someone's CD, making my own artwork for it, and then selling it.

Supprizingly few actually, some bands of bands who released a limated number of albums(the Sex Pistols, Joy Division or the Stone Roses for example) but for those who were quite prolific only Zep, Floyd, Can and the Peguin Cafe Orchestra spring to mind. Having an album just to "complete the collection" has never really interested me, the weaker stuff normally just ends up gathering dust on a shelf anyway.

Edited by greenman

Led Zeppelin, Rush, The Beatles, Joe Satriani, Genesis, Boston, Aerosmith (70's mostly), Michael Jackson, Queen, and The Who.

I have a lot of other bands' stuff, but the above names are the ones I either have all of, or nearly all of.