Aerosmith vs. Rush

lzzoso

Rush never gets the credit the deserve. Few bands who've been around for over thirty years keep getting better and better. Rush has a deep catalogue but they're no retro act. Snakes and Ladders was as great of an album as they've ever done. I saw them on that tour a couple years ago and they left me speechless. The musicianship was remarkable.

isn't it Snakes and Arrows? great album, I hope the next one will be as good as that one

Aerosmith hasn't made a great hard rock record since 1979. They're looking for a singer now that Tyler is off the road with his injury? Good luck with that.

I have to disagree. Of course they became more commercial using outside songwriters and that, but still Nine lives is an amazing album. Permanent vacation, Pump and Get a grip are pretty good, especially Pump, and even if they sound a bit too commercial, some of the songs are really great and blew my mind when I was young. The last decade hasn't been very good though, and now replacing Steven Tyler is not a good idea at all. I hope they wait till he recovers or call it quits. Maybe they could use another name for the band, that would be fine by me.

isn't it Snakes and Arrows? great album, I hope the next one will be as good as that one

I have to disagree. Of course they became more commercial using outside songwriters and that, but still Nine lives is an amazing album. Permanent vacation, Pump and Get a grip are pretty good, especially Pump, and even if they sound a bit too commercial, some of the songs are really great and blew my mind when I was young. The last decade hasn't been very good though, and now replacing Steven Tyler is not a good idea at all. I hope they wait till he recovers or call it quits. Maybe they could use another name for the band, that would be fine by me.

First, it is Snakes and Arrows, and I do too hope the next one will be awesome, too! :D

Second, I agree with you on Aerosmith's later later albums. Yes, they are more commercial, like Heart's 80's albums, but look where it got them! They've got an even bigger fanbase from the success of those albums. And I will miss Steven Tyler. :( I just wish they'd decide what to do about the band.

For a long time, Rocks was one of my top three favorite albums. (After Presence, and before Hair Of The Dog)

Aerosmith was a great band in the 70s, I saw them at least twice, and even some of their albums in the 90s were OK.

That being said, at this point Aerosmith is simply still around.

Rush, on the other hand, has evolved through the years, and continues to bring fresh, exciting and relevant music.

I got to see both legs of the Snakes and Arrows tour, and their nearly 3-hour set is all the evidence you need of Rush's incredible history and place amongst the very elite bands of all time.

Top 5 band of all time? Tough call.

Top 10 band of all time? Without question.

***BASEBALL ANALOGY***

The difference between the two is like the difference between Cal Ripken, Jr. breaking the games played record.

He just kept showing up.

And he played well enough to deserve to be in the lineup.

Same with Aerosmith.

Nolan Ryan, on the other hand, not only played dominantly into his 40s, he was still throwing no-hitters.

That's Rush.

They are continually raising the bar.

ps - no intention to split off into a baseball debate. It was just a useful analogy, nothing more. I like Cal, too.

Archived