Page only plays to Bonzo's beat?

McSeven

Hard to know what the meaning was without seeing it in context.

Usually musicians will follow the drummer - he sets the beat, the others play to him (or her), & follow his feel & accents. However there are notable exceptions, where another instrument is the "leader":

The Rolling Stones - Keith leads, Charlie follows Keith, everyone else follows Charlie

The Who - Pete was in charge, Keith followed Pete, John followed Pete (melodically) and tried to rein Keith in at the same time!

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Keith Emerson led, Carl Palmer tried to keep up.

It's been said that Bonham sounded more "normal" when he played with other musicians than Page & Jones - a lot of Zeppelin's accents came from them.

Hang on, perhaps what the article was saying was that Page plays to Bonham, but doesn't pay much attention to Jones? Would the context fit that? If so, not sure that I'd aggree.

Hard to know what the meaning was without seeing it in context.

Usually musicians will follow the drummer - he sets the beat, the others play to him (or her), & follow his feel & accents. However there are notable exceptions, where another instrument is the "leader":

The Rolling Stones - Keith leads, Charlie follows Keith, everyone else follows Charlie

From everything I've read about Zeppelin playing live it was pretty much the same set up as the Stones: Page leads, Bonham follows Page, Jones follows Bonham. In the studio I'm sure Bonham as the drummer had to lay down the foundation for Page & Jones to build upon, that's typical of almost all bands.

I saw an article where it said that Page only plays along to Bonzo's beat. Not JPJ. Can anyone shead light on this.

What bands play along to the bassists beat as opposed to bands that play to the drummers beat?

It's kind of simple if you think about it, Led Zeppelin was a Power Trio with a singer when you get right down to it.

If there had been a 2nd guitar player it would have never happened!

Of coarse if your talking about how they played live compared to how they played in the studio then there is a whole can of multi-colored worms to open.

I always considered The Who a "Bass First" band. i.e. who pushed the song, but thinking about Petes guitar technique, he would almost have to be lead but John really was the musical part of most songs.

Jonesy definelty followed Bonzo cause Bonzo never did the same fill in a row or in a week. Bonzo may of been the pace of the band, but they played whatever Jimmy did (Jonesy stated that). Jimmy tends to play faster on songs in the beginning of the set.

Jones and Bonzo did adjust their timing to accent different parts of the song. They would play a note a little sooner each time to make the song sound faster, but Jimmy played at the same rate. Led Zeppelin II is covered in it and Dazed and Confuse Finale is a big example. Jimmy is not playing faster, nor is Jonesy or Bonzo they are just hitting the beat a little sooner than jimmy.

I always considered The Who a "Bass First" band. i.e. who pushed the song, but thinking about Petes guitar technique, he would almost have to be lead but John really was the musical part of most songs.

i've always considered townshend the 'percussion' part of the band...

Archived