The new supergroup: BLACK COUNTRY

vkvv

Should be interesting to see how the album actually sounds. I really like Joe but for whatever reason the fire of his playing doesn't come across, to me, with his recorded stuff. I catch him when he's in town as much as I can, great performer and really nice guy. He had Ryan McGarvey sit in with him at one show, watch out for that kid, and Ryan's amp was dead as the band started playing. Joe unplugged his own guitar and handed the lead to Ryan and stepped back for Ryan to do his thing. Very generous in my book. Anyway, anything with that line up should be good. Hopefully Kevin worked some magic with the sonics.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the special edition cd will be available in stores in the US (or UK only)?

"Format #1 – Limited Edition 2-Disc CD/DVD :)

Featuring the 12 album tracks on CD, complete with an additional DVD jam-packed with band member interviews, exclusive studio and live images, Kevin Shirley’s (Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes) album production notes, “The Great Divide” music video, ‘Behind The Scenes’ in-studio footage, plus live tracks as performed by BCC at Riverside, California."

R B)

Just a reminder, Black Country Communion will be on Rockline tonight, it should be starting soon, so tune in right now!!

http://www.rocklineradio.com/ Click listen live and pick a station to stream it on, unless you get it on your local radio station. I listen to it usually on kgon. You can call in and ask them a question call 1-800-344-rock., tune in now!

A caller on Rockline asked Jason about slipping in on the drums for his dad at the Knebworth rehearsals and suprising Jimmy Page, so Jason talked about that, that was cool. Starting tomorrow you can listen to it at the rockine website and click 'rockline replay',

A caller on Rockline asked Jason about slipping in on the drums for his dad at the Knebworth rehearsals and suprising Jimmy Page, so Jason talked about that, that was cool. Starting tomorrow you can listen to it at the rockine website and click 'rockline replay',

Thanks, Luvlz2.

Will check it out. :)

R B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the special edition cd will be available in stores in the US (or UK only)?

"Format #1 – Limited Edition 2-Disc CD/DVD :)

Featuring the 12 album tracks on CD, complete with an additional DVD jam-packed with band member interviews, exclusive studio and live images, Kevin Shirley’s (Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Black Crowes) album production notes, “The Great Divide” music video, ‘Behind The Scenes’ in-studio footage, plus live tracks as performed by BCC at Riverside, California."

R B)

Yes I bought mine at FYE in Las Vegas!

I'm really looking forward to this band - Black Country Communion!! With Jason drumming and GLENN HUGHES (the voice of rock) singing it should be awsome! Glen has to have the most amazing vocal range I've ever heard!! Why Deep Purple needed David Coverdale when they had Glen I never could figure out...?? :blink:

We're rockin' back to Brum

Sunday Mercury (Birmingham); Sep 26, 2010; ANDY COLEMAN; p. 30 ROCK'S newest supergroup, born and bred in the Midlands, played a secret gig in a tiny rehearsal studio last week for just 100 fans.

Black Country Communion, comprising former Deep Purple singer Glenn Hughes, Led Zeppelin reunion drummer Jason Bonham, US guitar giant Joe Bonamassa and Dream Theater keyboards player Derek Sherinian, played songs from their debut album.

The Sunday Mercury was invited to the 'hush hush' show at John Henry's THE SECRET SHOW SETLIST Black Country One Last Soul Beggarman Song Of Yesterday Stand (At The Burning Tree) The Great Divide Medusa Sista Jane rehearsal rooms in London, and can reveal that the band plan to play a one-off show in Wolverhampton sometime around Christmas - their only UK date this year.

Inspired by the classic rock riffs and hard rock anthems of the early 1970s, Dudley drummer Bonham - son of the late Zeppelin skinsman John Bonham - and Cannock singer Hughes have teamed up with two of the biggest names in the States.

New Yorker Bonamassa is rated one of the best guitarists in the world and numbers Eric Clapton among his fans. Californian Sherinian has also played keyboards with Alice Cooper, Kiss and Billy Idol. "On January 2 this year the four of us were in the same room for the first time," Hughes told the Sunday Mercury. "I looked around and said 'We haven't got a name but I'm seeing two guys from the Black Country here'.

"We decided to call the band Black Country to honour our roots. I used the internet to Google the name, and all that came up was a Black Country Brass Band, so we settled on the name and began working on a logo.

"But as word got out, a band from Baltimore called Black Country emerged. They hadn't trademarked the name but sent us a cease and desist letter from their lawyer. They were only young lads and they wanted to do business with us.

"But I don't play that game so we just added another word. According to the dictionary 'Communion' means a union, a brotherhood." Born in Cannock, Glenn fronted Finders Keepers during the 1960s before coming to prominence with Midland heroes Trapeze, then Deep Purple between 1973 and 1976. Despite his assertion that Black Country Communion is all about making new music there's a nod to his past with the inclusion in the set, and on the album, of old Trapeze track Medusa. As the penultimate track of Monday's 50-minute launch show, it brought the house down.

It was a particularly poignant moment for Hughes.

"I've played Medusa with John Bonham and now I'm playing it with his son Jason," he revealed. "When Trapeze played at Mothers in Erdington in 1970, John got up onstage and started playing Medusa with us.

"That night he took me home and gave me a sneak preview of Led Zeppelin's fourth album. We became mates. All the way through Trapeze, till I joined Purple, John and I were best friends."

With the rest of the band at work on their own projects Hughes is filling in time with a solo tour which plays Bilston's Robin 2 on Tuesday and Leamington's Assembly on October 7.

GLENN Hughes and Jason Bonham both know the Black Country well - but what do the Yanks think of the region? Joe Bonmassa says: "I've been to Wolverhampton and the Birmingham area, and I know the legacies of the bands that have come from there, such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

"I'm really good friends with a guitar player named Joanne Shaw Taylor. She's my guitar technician's girlfriend, and she's from the Black Country. She tells me about the accents!" Derek Sherinian says: "I've heard about the Black Country from Jason and Glenn. It's industrial with coal mines, right? I understand they have a dialect all of their own. We have similar cities on the east coast. I've been to Wolverhampton with Dream Theater but at the time I didn't know it was the Black Country."

Glenn's Black Country blues

Mail (Birmingham); Sep 24, 2010; Andy Coleman; p. 38 FORMER Deep Purple singer and bassist Glenn Hughes can't wait to hit the road with his new band.

Just one problem - his bandmates in Black Country Communion have solo commitments to fulfil so to keep himself busy Glenn's decided to tour on his own.

"I thought I'd be getting a bit bored so I booked a British tour," says the Cannock-born 58-year-old.

Dates include Midland gigs at Bilston's Robin 2 next Tuesday and The Assembly, Leamington Spa, on October 7. "I'll do some dates in South and North America as well so I'll keep busy until December 10," Glenn reveals.

"The solo shows will be a tip of the hat to the rock heritage. This is more a career retrospective, more the solo stuff I've done which is on the harder edge tip. It's a stripped down rock and roll show." The Black Country Communion line-up is completed by guitarist Joe Bonamassa, Jason 'son of John' Bonham and ex-Dream Theater keyboardist Derek Sherinian. Joe is performing his own bluesbased gigs until the beginning of December, while drummer Jason 'son of John' Bonham is in America with his Led Zeppelin Experience show.

Glenn will put his solo career on hold in the new year to concentrate on Black Country Communion. He has even postponed the recording of a solo album.

"I've written a whole album but I've shelved it simply because I want Black Country Communion to be my vehicle for a couple of years." BCC's self-titled debut is riding high in this week's album charts and the quartet have big plans.

Says Glenn: "We're going to make another BCC album in January because when we hit the road big time next year, when we do 'the big tour', we'll have some new songs to add to the set." "There's a window of opportunity in the market place where there's not really a tremendous amount of rock bands playing.

"The focus is on another type of rock music.

Archived