Simon Cowell Swansong on American Idol

jabe

He will not be the first person, and probably will not be the last, to be rude during auditions.

You're probably right. People seem to feed on that kind of shit. That's why the show is a total joke and an insult to the real artists who won't whore themselves out.

You're probably right. People seem to feed on that kind of shit. That's why the show is a total joke and an insult to the real artists who won't whore themselves out.

The way music is discovered and promoted has changed tremendously over the last several years. Record labels are shrinking and musicians are seeking alternate ways of being discovered. American Idol is one avenue some choose to travel. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but one can't deny there's been a lot of success from the show - both the American and the UK versions.

The way music is discovered and promoted has changed tremendously over the last several years. Record labels are shrinking and musicians are seeking alternate ways of being discovered. American Idol is one avenue some choose to travel. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but one can't deny there's been a lot of success from the show - both the American and the UK versions.

Actually, there hasn't been a lot of success on the American version. Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the only winners who have had any kind of measured, consistent success. Chris Daughtry didn't win his season, but his group has had a slew of hit albums/singles. Jennifer Hudson didn't win her season, went on to star in Dreamgirls and won a damn Oscar.

That's what.....4 people out of the near 100 that have been on the show since Season 1? Other people have come off the show, had success for like....an hour, and then they're gone. The actual number of people to come off that show and actually become something is extremely small.

The show itself has been a massive success on a global scale - people love it, and why shouldn't they? You'ld think it was suddenly a crime to enjoy a show about singing. Any success the winners have subsequently is a bonus - but there has been a lot, globally. Simon Cowell isn't daft - he started this show in England and made it the biggest show in the world. He's now about to bring X Factor - the show that made Leona Lewis a star - into the world arena - watch it go. ;)

Chris Daughtry didn't win his season, but his group has had a slew of hit albums/singles. Jennifer Hudson didn't win her season, went on to star in Dreamgirls and won a damn Oscar.

Am I misssing something, as this alone seems to prove the show's worth to me? :blink:

You're missing something. How many seasons of American Idol have their been? How many people have been on the show? Now how many of those people are actual bonafide successes? If the show is supposed to find the next big whatever......I'd say they have failed miserably at doing that, save four specific cases.

You're missing something. How many seasons of American Idol have their been? How many people have been on the show? Now how many of those people are actual bonafide successes? If the show is supposed to find the next big whatever......I'd say they have failed miserably at doing that, save four specific cases.

You're missing something. If the show was ONLY about the end result and the success of the winner, the focus would be on following the winner once they have been chosen. The show is about entertaining people with the PROCESS of picking a winner, with watching the auditions, with enjoying the progress of the contestants, picking your favourites, booing the ones you don't like. People love that, and why the hell other people are saying their enjoyment is wrong and ought to be stopped is a complete bloody mystery to me. If people don't like it they don't have to watch it - why should they stop other people from enjoying it because it doesn't suit THEIR particular criteria? Insane.

Idol or X Factor doesn't interest me so I don't watch them, so I'll never miss them.

There are people who enjoy it and good luck to them.

Do the contestants ever do their own songs?

Because it mostly rewards the "best" (most popular via phone in) singer and not necessarily the most talented leaves a lot to be desired.

If people are prepared to submit themselves to ridicule then let them, someone will get a kick out of it, even if it's not the "performer".

How do X Factor and Idol differ?

Funny how with "variety" talent shows the vocalist nearly always wins, never the juggler!

That's to be expected when comparing apples to oranges.

Why a talent show with a format like the Eurovision Song contest hasn't been produced is beyond me?

You read it here first!

Something that showcases new original music would be a better proposition IMO.

How do X Factor and Idol differ?

X-Factor is open to all age-ranges and also to groups, duos etc. However, so-far all of the winners have been solo singers in the "Pop Idol/American Idol" age-bracket, bar one, Steve Brookstein,a guy in his early 40s who sank without trace as Simon had no interest in him and put no effort into marketing him.

Milions of people enjoying a TV show about finding a good singer scares you? You oughtta get out more. :D;)

Millions of people obssessing over a show with a bunch of candy-store pop artists, then voting for a victor and then sitting at home on election night because they don't know the issues or candidates scares the hell out of me yes.

Also, William Hung.

Millions of people obssessing over a show with a bunch of candy-store pop artists, then voting for a victor and then sitting at home on election night because they don't know the issues or candidates scares the hell out of me yes.

Also, William Hung.

It's the dumbing down of America :rolleyes:

I remember an episode of Leno's J-Walking he asked this woman "Who lives at 1400 Pensylvania ave?" she replied I've no idea, then Leno said here's a hint the leader of the free world her reply was still I don't know! Leno then asked who lives in a pinapple at the bottom of the sea? She immediately replied "SpongeBob!" and seemed so proud she knew that! :lol:

It's the dumbing down of America :rolleyes:

I remember an episode of Leno's J-Walking he asked this woman "Who lives at 1400 Pensylvania ave?" she replied I've no idea, then Leno said here's a hint the leader of the free world her reply was still I don't know! Leno then asked who lives in a pinapple at the bottom of the sea? She immediately replied "SpongeBob!" and seemed so proud she knew that! :lol:

who does live at 1400 Pennsylvania Ave.?

whoever it is must be proud to be neighbors of the Obama's who live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Archived