United Nations invents a brand-new to honor Jimmy Page!

zeppphead

jimmy_page_of_led_zeppelin_5313906.jpg

JIMMY PAGE has been honored with the United Nations' first ever Pathways To Peace Award. Pagey learned of his latest accolade just minutes after confirmingreports he'd be among the headliners at the upcoming Show of Peaceconcert in Beijing, China on April 2010.

Page says, "Although this award has my name on it, this is a tribute to the power of music and its positive effect.

"Music has been the most powerful language to reach the hearts ofpeople around the world. During my career, I've experienced theconnection and harmony that music can bring."

Read More: Yahoo News

...more appropriate to have presented it after the concert...seems like a publicity stunt for the organizers

I'm happy as long as Pagey is. The 66-Year-Old Pagey's still the freakin' main act among more than five dozen others! B)

Howdy, Steve!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United Nations invents a brand-new award to honor Jimmy Page!

Congratulations, Jimmy!

cheer.gifthumbsup.gifbanana.gif

Very well deserved!

It doesn't make any sense if it is just for playing at the concert in Beijing, does it?

Unless, as Steve says, it is propoganda to promote the concert. The timing of the award is suspicious. More international pressure on China to allow the concert to proceed?

Anyway, he deserves recognition for his wonderful charity work and support in Brazil for the ABC Trust and Casa de Jimmy, as well as his wonderful music. Music is the universal language, it can unite countries and promote peace among nations. Congratlations for a well deserved award!

Hmm . . . Why is he the recipient of this award, when you think of all the other people it could have been presented to but who aren't involved in this concert? NOT saying he doesn't deserve it, at all--just that a lot of other people do too, but presenting them with this award at this moment, especially one the UN has just invented for no apparent reason, would have seemed purposeless. Whereas giving Jimmy a peace award because he's going to play (possibly) (probably?) in a concert for peace, and maybe even to persuade him to play . . .

Seems a bit bogus, but who knows. Glad that Jimmy's getting the recognition, anyway.

NOTE

Other famous acts to play the concert include: Aerosmith, Prince, Beyonce, Goo Goo Dolls, Alicia Keys, Maroon 5, Ne-yo, Kanye West, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, Green Day, Jay Z, Jennifer Lopez, Katy Perry, Usher, Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Lady GaGa, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Taylor Swift, Gwen Stefani and Justin Timberlake.

NOTE

Other famous acts to play the concert include: Aerosmith, Prince, Beyonce, Goo Goo Dolls, Alicia Keys, Maroon 5, Ne-yo, Kanye West, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, Green Day, Jay Z, Jennifer Lopez, Katy Perry, Usher, Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Lady GaGa, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Taylor Swift, Gwen Stefani and Justin Timberlake.

That's merely the long list of artists that Garson invited to perform. Only Jimmy Page, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford from Aerosmith and Lady Gaga have accepted thus far. Efforts are also underway to secure Chinese artists.

Hmm . . . Why is he the recipient of this award, when you think of all the other people it could have been presented to but who aren't involved in this concert? NOT saying he doesn't deserve it, at all--just that a lot of other people do too, but presenting them with this award at this moment, especially one the UN has just invented for no apparent reason, would have seemed purposeless. Whereas giving Jimmy a peace award because he's going to play (possibly) (probably?) in a concert for peace, and maybe even to persuade him to play . . .

Seems a bit bogus, but who knows. Glad that Jimmy's getting the recognition, anyway.

what can I say except Michael Johnson, United Nations Representative, is a big Jimmy Page fanatic... :)

Sheesh . . . So he invents awards to get his hero to play? That's what I was afraid of.

I'm not saying that's what happened, just that it looks highly dubious--which is not good for Jimmy. I mean, I adore the guy, and he's done wonderful things for the ABC Trust, but he's not the first person many people would think of to give a UN peace award to.

Again, I don't suppose too many people noticed that that (peace-building) was what he was doing, compared to a number of other artists. I can't think of too many occasions when he was actively "peace-building," for instance, although I take the point that joining people together in a common love of music (as many others have done, even so) promotes peace in itself.

Well, I'll now keep my cynicism to myself, and just be glad for him, if it actually does get him out there playing again.

I just want to say I will never forgive Garson if Jimmy is made to look foolish by being associated with this event. That press conference was astonishingly devoid of details. Meanwhile, hope to see everyone in Beijing this April.

If your concern is about Jimmy actually playing at the event...It's a good one, as nothing seems to be confirmed does it? Even more interesting is with whom?

If your concern is about Jimmy actually playing at the event...It's a good one, as nothing seems to be confirmed does it? Even more interesting is with whom?

Gary Graff (Reuters...Billboard...etc) reported Jimmy was confirmed as a headliner and the public relations staff concur.

My concern is two-fold - that the government will not allow this event to go forward, and if it does it will be a colossal

cock up. Free tickets?! Bill Graham is spinning in his grave.

Gary Graff (Reuters...Billboard...etc) reported Jimmy was confirmed as a headliner and the public relations staff concur.

Free tickets?! Bill Graham is spinning in his grave.

Yeah, and not only that. 100,000 music fans are expected to attend this "freebie" concert! :huh:

This thread is completely ridiculous, and a disgrace to these forums. Are people here trying to make a scandal out of this?! Even if the speeches given at the awards ceremony could have been better, the idea seems pretty clear, and Jimmy said it perfectly: "Although this award has my name on it, this is a tribute to the power of music and its positive effect. Music has been the most powerful language to reach the hearts of people around the world. During my career, I've experienced the connection and harmony that music can bring." So, if Jimmy's interpretation is right, the idea is not necessarily to present awards to people who babble about peace the most (in other words, to give Yoko Ono a subscription to it), but to unusually influential musicians who at the same time have some proper image qualifications - after all, it's the UN. From that point of view, I can't imagine a better choice than Jimmy. Congratulations on a well deserved honor, Jimmy!

This thread is completely ridiculous, and a disgrace to these forums. Are people here trying to make a scandal out of this?! Even if the speeches given at the awards ceremony could have been better, the idea seems pretty clear, and Jimmy said it perfectly: "Although this award has my name on it, this is a tribute to the power of music and its positive effect. Music has been the most powerful language to reach the hearts of people around the world. During my career, I've experienced the connection and harmony that music can bring." So, if Jimmy's interpretation is right, the idea is not necessarily to present awards to people who babble about peace the most (in other words, to give Yoko Ono a subscription to it), but to unusually influential musicians who at the same time have some proper image qualifications - after all, it's the UN. From that point of view, I can't imagine a better choice than Jimmy. Congratulations on a well deserved honor, Jimmy!

:goodpost:

Agree that Jimmy said it perfectly. His acceptance speech couldn't have been more gracious. This whole event seems pretty f-ing inspired and inspiring, and I hope all goes well with it regardless of who performs and whatever PR/propoganda is involved. Could be a catalyst in reaching minds through music's touch. :) And the logo is cool too. :D

Archived