You dont like THE CLASH because

Big Klu

You invented an album, counted a rarities EP, and another the band disowns entirely.

And you smell like poopoo.

No.....the release of the first album was referred to as London's burning back in the day.....an unofficial name for the album by others who didn't like them.

I'll count that rarities EP cause I really, really don't like it.....I especially don't like Armigideon time, Justice tonight/kick it over, Pressure drop, The prisoner, and city of the dead.

Poopoo??

Shirley you jest.....

The Clash are awesome, one of my favourite bands. Give 'Em Enough Rope is probably my favourite album.

Listen to some live stuff, so much energy. Joe Strummer is a legend, I saw the documentary that was recently made about him at the cinema earlier on in the year, had interviews with the former band members and other musicians.

No.....the release of the first album was referred to as London's burning back in the day.....an unofficial name for the album by others who didn't like them.

I hear ya. When Communication Breakdown (as we called it then) came out, the last track kept going on forever but the fucking album sleeve said it was only 3:30.....3:30! Right then and there I swore off LedZeplin and their devious ways.

I hear ya. When Communication Breakdown (as we called it then) came out, the last track kept going on forever but the fucking album sleeve said it was only 3:30.....3:30! Right then and there I swore off LedZeplin and their devious ways.

At least they didn't have any uncrdedited tracks that became radio hits like some bands we don't like to mention.....

I'm playing around.....definitely Sandanista!

If you're still in the maybe stage, listen to the record again.

There's too many options to choose from for their to be any maybe about it. ;)

Ok, I see that you don't understand me: the album is called Sandinista and not as you wrote SandAnista

that's it :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
....... and the only songs that I really like are Guns Of Brixton and Straight To Hell.

I love Straight To Hell, I'm fond of Rock The Casbah and many, many other Clash titles.

But I'll have a go with Led Zeps who where really fond of The Clash when they showed up at the scene in the late 70s. The Presence album was followed from a sort of dangerous time of inactivity. After Plant's ankle improved and his triumphant evening with Bad Company at a New York concert Led Zeps had to learn that rock had changed. The Punk Rock wave was raging through England. Page admired the Sex Pistols and The Damned but the younger musicians of the new area offended Led Zeppelin. A band member of The Clash sad: "I don't even have to listen to their music. Just looking at one of their album covers makes me want to vomit..."

That's why I'm feeling conflicted when it comes to The Clash - even when I honestly do like their work.

Beacause they are punk and I see their minimalist take on music trashing much of the music that happened afterward. Sometimes I think we wouldn't have so much shit rock music if it weren't for the whole punk music.

This is the most truthful, cut through the bull shit and get straight to the point post of the entire thread. Hate punk (American and English), always will.

I will never understand people who trash an entire genre. Ever.

Well, some of those people might consider punk to be no talent, crap musically. Others might hate on it because of how disrespectful they were of the bands that preceded them (bands that would have blown their crap asses of the stage I might add). A few folks just might hate their annoying as hell attitudes (the word 'punk" should be replaced with 'annoying'). While others still may believe it led to the image is everything, screw the music mentality of modern music.

Well, some of those people might consider punk to be no talent, crap musically. Others might hate on it because of how disrespectful they were of the bands that preceded them (bands that would have blown their crap asses of the stage I might add). A few folks just might hate their annoying as hell attitudes (the word 'punk" should be replaced with 'annoying'). While others still may believe it led to the image is everything, screw the music mentality of modern music.

Amusingly, none of this describes The Clash.

I never liked The Clash because I grew up in the era of arena rock, and The Clash were not condusive to an arena setting. Towards the end, their manager tried to make them an arena act, but all that resulted in was just what I saw....The Clash mercifully booed off the stage as every piece of available debris was hurled their way. At the time, it was well deserved. If you're going to warm-up for The Who in an 80,000 seat arena, you better be able to reach your audience. They couldn't....probably because their audience wasn't there. I couldn't throw anything....I was in the second tier.

Because of Iggy, The MC5, and other local bands, the whole late 70's punk movement was kind of glossed over in my area. Not that there weren't some younger fans of the movement, but they were few and far between. The Clash played a locally famous show here : Motor City Roller Rink.....which I was offered a ticket to. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.....Classic rock Elitism sucks. I should have been there....place was less than a mile from home at the time. The best shows are always the ones you missed.

I will never understand people who trash an entire genre. Ever.

I will never understand people that can't understand people that trash a genre of music in direct response to said genre of music trashing the music that we love as their only means of getting attention.

Lets face it the Punk thing was the brainchild of a promoter who came up with the idea of "I think I'll put together a band of retards and tell them to act anti-establishment to make some money" Talent not required !!!

RjK

Lets face it the Punk thing was the brainchild of a promoter who came up with the idea of "I think I'll put together a band of retards and tell them to act anti-establishment to make some money" Talent not required !!!

RjK

Oh how wrong you are

I will never understand people that can't understand people that trash a genre of music in direct response to said genre of music trashing the music that we love as their only means of getting attention.

Because (like most anti-punk excuses) its bullshit.

For example:

Rock Against Racism (RAR) was a campaign set up in the United Kingdom by Red Saunders, Roger Huddle and others in winter 1976. It was founded in response to allegedly racist comments and gestures made by David Bowie and Eric Clapton.[1]

RAR was first conceived as an idea for a one-off concert against the rise of racism in the early 1970s. According to Huddle, "it remained just an idea until August 1976," when Clapton made a drunken declaration of support for former Conservative minister Enoch Powell (famous for his anti-immigration Rivers of Blood speech) at a concert in Birmingham.[2] Clapton had said that England had "become overcrowded," and implored the crowd to vote for Powell to stop Britain from becoming "a black colony." Huddle, Saunders and two members of Kartoon Klowns responded by writing a letter to NME expressing their opposition to Clapton's comments, which they claimed were "... all the more disgusting because he had his first hit with a cover of reggae star Bob Marley's 'I Shot the Sheriff'" At the end of the letter, they called for people to help form a movement called Rock against racism, and they report that they received hundreds of replies.[3]

Further support for RAR came after David Bowie stated in a Playboy interview that "Britain is ready for a fascist leader", and by allegedly making a Nazi salute while riding in a convertible.[citation needed] Bowie later retracted the fascist comment, claiming that the statement was a result of substance abuse. He denied making a Hitler salute, arguing that a photographer caught him in the middle of waving.

In spring and autumn 1978, RAR organised two major music festivals with the Anti-Nazi League, to counteract the growing wave of racist attacks in the UK. It has been reported that 80,000 people marched six miles from Trafalgar Square to the East End of London (a National Front hotspot) for an open-air concert.[4] The concert featured The Clash (as seen in the film Rude Boy), Buzzcocks, Steel Pulse, X-Ray Spex, The Ruts, Sham 69, Generation X and the Tom Robinson Band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

The Clash in "Rudeboy"

Archived