When Giants Walked The Earth

ocean

I just finished When Giants Walked The Earth by Mick Wall. First let me say I enjoyed and read the whole thing in 5 days! Then again I always enjoy reading anything Zeppelin, fantasy or fact. It becomes quite repeatitous, especially in the italisized fantasy parts though.

I in no way consider myself an expert in all things Zep, especially their private, behind the scenes lives. But I have been consumed with the band since 1969. Led Zeppelin I changed my life forever, and II sent it into the stratosphere.

The first half of the book is definitely better than the 2nd half. I found it a bit annoying that it seemed that Jeff Beck’s name was mentioned as much as Jimmy’s. Don’t get me wrong, I love Jeff’s music and contribution to music. (I’ve loved everytime I’ve seen him play too!). But I may be younger than some here, but was certainly old enough to have Truth and ZepI when they both came out. It wasn’t as Wall made it out to be for me and my friends. ZepI blew us away….ZepII totally converted us.

Factual errors became glaringly obvious to me, especially on page 373. Here he begins to talk (very briefly) of the 4 shows I saw front row…The Cap Center in MD and neglects to put in the dates. Then he goes on to talk about the 5/21 Houston show after those dates..chronologically these dates are switched, so I began to randomly check some of my boots…and I’ll leave it to the real sleuths to find all the calendar errors. He goes on to talk about the bottle rocket hitting Jimmy’s hand, but neglects to talk of the bottle igniting Robert’s shirt during the show I witnessed…I would have liked to hear more about the tours, shows, writing and composing of the songs.

The book goes on and on about Crowely. I found it interesting at first, then it began to wear to on me. He seemed to try and come across as someone who knows all about Crowely and he didn’t convince me.

Shadwick’s Led Zeppelin I think I enjoyed more. (But it’s so large it’s hard to read in bed) and John Bonham by Mick Bonham I probably have enjoyed the most.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading this book and found it , for the most part, a fairly entertaining read. As most before me have stated, I'm no expert ( nor do I wish to be ) into the private lives of the band but I did find some of the passages to be a little too close to home. The third party style was particularily aggrevating ! Maybe I'm underestimating the authors insight but I found myself taking most of those passages with a huge grain of salt. Mind you, I found myself doing that with Richard Coles book as well. Wouldn't say that this book has anything in it that hasn't already been written about in one shape or form but I'll let others be their own judge. Just don't take it too seriously and remember that there is no shortage of people out there trying to cash in on all things Zeppelin.

Hi all,

Just finished reading this book and found it , for the most part, a fairly entertaining read. As most before me have stated, I'm no expert ( nor do I wish to be ) into the private lives of the band but I did find some of the passages to be a little too close to home. The third party style was particularily aggrevating ! Maybe I'm underestimating the authors insight but I found myself taking most of those passages with a huge grain of salt. Mind you, I found myself doing that with Richard Coles book as well. Wouldn't say that this book has anything in it that hasn't already been written about in one shape or form but I'll let others be their own judge. Just don't take it too seriously and remember that there is no shortage of people out there trying to cash in on all things Zeppelin.

I hear you Bro!

Even then,some people wanted to know,**** the band or at the very least be attached to the band(right Bebe?)Thanks to Brother Ally,I have had a chance to ~listen~ to live Led Zeppelin,and let me tell you B&S's,no one could come close!IMHO,...

What happen off stage?Did you live through the 70's? :P

KB

Hi all,

I hear you Bro!

Even then,some people wanted to know,**** the band or at the very least be attached to the band(right Bebe?)Thanks to Brother Ally,I have had a chance to ~listen~ to live Led Zeppelin,and let me tell you B&S's,no one could come close!IMHO,...

What happen off stage?Did you live through the 70's? tongue.gif

KB

So true KB ! However bro I must thank you for sending me the book and it's a pleasure to reciprocate in a fashion that speaks for itself.

Long live the music beer.gif

• 2 weeks later...

^ As written in the first post, first sentence, the author is Mick Wall

Yea, I just read it too. My first book on LZ, I've read mostly articles. I did enjoy the look behind the scenes and some stories about how they met and what influenced their song writing/composing.

Some friends mentioned the book isn't great (which now leads me to getting more books) and even Jimmy says (if I may quote Wikipedia):

"According to Page: Wall's just writing a book designed to cash in on something he didn't have anything to do with. He wasn't a creative force in Led Zep. I'm at something of a disadvantage because I haven't chosen to read that book, but I hear it's totally distorted from people who do know about Led Zeppelin."

Well he didn't read it but none the less he trusts his firends who have!

Archived