Robert Plant-Innuendo-Freddie Mercury tribute

Matjaz1

I wonder if any of you have heard the Plant-Queen version of Innuendo, form Mercury tribute concert on youtube:

I think it's actually very good, not excellent but certainly really good and the video actually has 4 and a half stars rating out of 5!!

But many people critise Robert very harshly in the comments and I don't think he deserves it!!! They say all kinds of things, such as that it just sounds horrible, that it's too high for his voice and that somehow he even dared too include some Kashmir into it and that he didn't learn the lyrics very well!!!

Now I agrre he sort of mumbles through some of the lyrics, because the song was new to him and he didn't remember all the details in the lyrics, but the rest is good, his voice sounds good and powerfull, maybe a bit hoarse and he can obvisously reach the high notes and the inclusion of Kashmir was certainly planned with the Queen members, because Kashmir was an inspiration for Innuendo, as far as I know!!!

So I think it's a really good performance, it could have been better, if Robert would know all the lyrics exactly, but its' still really good and I think people on youtube just have a problem, that it sounds different with Robert's style and voice, because they are used to Mercury's version!!

What do you think???

And if you agrre with me, you should leave a positive comment on youtube for Robert!! But i still think that the almost 5 star rating still shows people like it, it's just that there are many bad comments under the video!!

What do I think? I think that without dought Queen should work with Robert Plant both coming up with a new studio l.p. and record many new songs to put into the vaults. (...and tour.) I also think that they should re-record some old Queen songs INCLUDING the title track "Innuendo" though those could stay in the vaults as well. I am concerned as time passes and my favorite recording artists do not do more...

I know people many times write stupid stuff on youtube comments, but reactions to Zep or Plant performances on youtube are ussually very positive!!

In case of Innuendo I think people were just unfair, probably because they compared Robert's style to much to Freddie's and Robert just did it differently!!

I guess they don't know Robert was Freddie's favourite singer!!

Go watch Robert's performance of Crazy Little Thing Called Love, I guess the comments there will make you feel better. :)

People tend to compare them, and it's very easy to turn into arguments because people have different favorites, while a lot of these musicians admire each other's talent. All this made little sense and doesn't really matter.

Robert on his performance of Innuendo (Mojo classic - Queen, The Inside Story):

"Freddie had said they'd written it as a tribute to Zeppelin but I couldn't get my head around the words. I tried to learn them while I was on holiday in Morocco, but I ended up with a huge lyric sheet taped to the stage... I think they (Queen) will cut my performance out of the video".

And actually Robert's Innuendo isn't on the official Tribute video.

I have also another magazine (just can't find it now) where Robert is even more direct about it, saying something like: " I f***ed the song". And yes - I couldn't agree more - he did.

I remember how embarassed I was as I watched the concert.....I really felt sorry for Robert, it was painful to watch him singing the song trying to read the lyrics.

But what is the deal about it?? Robert had had some bad performances during the Led Zeppelin's days too. Still the man is the greatest singer ever. ;)

Go watch Robert's performance of Crazy Little Thing Called Love, I guess the comments there will make you feel better. :)

People tend to compare them, and it's very easy to turn into arguments because people have different favorites, while a lot of these musicians admire each other's talent. All this made little sense and doesn't really matter.

And he did a very respectable Thank You prior to CLTCL B)

Youtube is full of little gems like this:

SchnTirol

One month ago:

Even Plant's interviews from this period (say '89-'94) were reallypissy. He didn't seem to be enjoying life at all. Breaking into Kashmirobviously set Brian May off into an "I can't believe this prick isdoing this now" kind of thing. Flubbing words, voice breaking, notesextremely flat... he just didn't care about shit right there at thatpoint in time, not even the world's largest live tv audience in historymade him give a shit. And he was probably drunk to boot.

Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if any of you have heard the Plant-Queen version of Innuendo, form Mercury tribute concert on youtube:

I think it's actually very good, not excellent but.... that it sounds different with Robert's style and voice, because they are used to Mercury's version!!

What do you think???

I think that is one that got away, sadly.

Sometime before the show, Brian May told Robert that Freddy sang Innuendo with Robert in mind, in a sort of tribute. I think May may have killed Plant with compliments he was neither wanting, nor able to understand. I mean, what was he supposed to do, imitate Freddy imitating Plant? May should've never let this particular cat of of the bag. This is perhaps the most nervous Robert Plant you'll ever see. I like this song so much and Robert Plant's voice so much, that I've been able to use my imagination to fill in what should've been.. and I've listened to this version many times. It's a great song.

I'm still missing Freddy.

oh yeah, and the Kashmir lyrics? Totally out of place.

I heard this live at the time over the radio, and was like "What???" like when I first heard Plant's voice breaking up at Live Aid, etc....Plant absolutely butchered it. Innuendo is inspired certainly by Kashmir and I saw the connection, but it was nowhere near good.

To be fair, I don't think Freddie Mercury could've sang it well live either - he really hits the notes in the studio. It's a very difficult song to "jam" to. Percy's record at mega events wasn't too good. Here's my scorecard:

1) LIVE AID - so-so

2) ATLANTIC 40th ANNIVERSARY - so-so

3) KNEBWORTH - good

4) FREDDY MERCURY TRIBUTE - so-so

5) UNLEDDED - good

I'd say Robert was batting about a 0.4 overall in his mega live appearances during the period. Pls. feel free to improve this scorecard

Cheers....

Like the live aid performance it could of been better, so the comments on you tube reflect how alot of us felt at the time watching the performance. When Planty gets it right he is untouchable, but the Freddie show was not one of them.

Archived