The Same level as Zeppelin

McSeven

Which music act do yo thinkis one the same level of Zeppelin? Hendrix/BlackSabbath/The Who/Heart/Aerosmith/The Door

I say that Hendrix and too a lesser extent Heart. In the way I feel thier songs have a mystical feel to them.

I have been listening to a lot of Hendrix on YouTube. I feel that he and Zep are on the same cosmic level when it comes to the music.

Black Sabbath have the same structure as Zep when it comes to the songs, except that they are gloomy.

The Who have great songs. But I always feel that they talk about thier generations politics.

Heart have the female Zep vibe in the way thier strutcture thier songs, escept they don't really jam.

Aerosmith too me are a hybrid of Zep and the Stones.

The Doors have the same mystic vibe as Zep and can extend thier songs.

What do you all think.

I think that Hendrix comes to the closest to being on Zep level, when it comes to cosmic guitar driven rock and roll.

Mc7

Depending on what you mean by "level".

For me The Doors are more on the same level as Led Zeppelin than any other band, because one or the other is my 4th or 5th favorite band, depending on how I feel at the moment. The Rolling Stone 1st, The Beatles and The Who 2nd or 3rd,depending how I feel at the moment.

I don't think any of those mentioned are on the same level as Zep since the only real common thread is that they're all known as heavy guitar bands. I think Zep & The Beatles have more in common even though they don't sound anything alike. Their careers lasted roughly the same amount of time while both bands laid down the foundation through their innovations for the bands that came during & after them. I love Hendrix but I have never heard or seen anything he has in common with Zeppelin outside of a heavy guitar/drum based sound & it takes a lot more than that to make a fair comparison. The same with Cream & Zep too, I don't hear it.

Most would Sabbath as a band like Zeppelin, or on the same level. I think their music is vastly different. With those two bands, i feel it's all a matter of personal preference. Zeppelin was more vast and creative to me. They speak to my musical tastes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I like that question. Of course, every band had their own sound, so comparisons are always awkward. But in my day, the groups that stood out with Zeppelin (to male teenagers) were The Doors and Jethro Tull. The common denominators were range of music, talent, storytelling, and willingness to take risks/step outside of the box. Close seconds were Steppenwolf, Black Sabbath, and Emerson Lake and Palmer, but ELP was the more refined of the bunch. And if you really wanted "gloomy": Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs. And Other big names of the day that didn't neccessarily "compete" so to speak (for a common place in the heart) were many: Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, The Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, and so many others too numerous to mention. There was just so much good music going on back then, it truly was a phenomenon.

before i get flamed like the hindenberg, just hear me out!

blood, sweat and tears. both groups refused to follow

the conventional music structure that even some of the

most legendary acts would follow....in other words neither

group was afraid to shift rhythms in mid song, shifting from

the common 4/4 to 3/4(waltz rhythm) to 2/4 or riffing into

beat less segments (sorta jazz like) and then taking you

right back to toe tapping licks. while zep's electric guitar

speaks for it's self, most would be surprised by bs&t's

electric work...while not featured often, when it is it

hangs pretty tough. both groups 1st albums were self titled

and released in 1969.

both groups songs were very difficult to put on 45 records

during their day (the industry standard at the time) and

made record companies weary of them. both groups said

"screw you' it's about the music". both had incendiary

drumming and very unique, very powerful lead vocals.

if your not familiar with bs&t, try their first album on.

cut #9 starts out very similar to "your time is gonna come".

both also have that very cool quality of taking you away

when listened to with your eyes closed. anyway, zep

will always be tops on my list, but try some bs&t on and

see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that there are a few different ways to measure the "level" of Zeppelin.

The first would be musical talent across the band.

In this case The Who probably comes the closest. With others that come "close" would have to be Pink Floyd, Hendrix, and Cream.

The Second way to measure would be in fan following.

I think The Bealtes, Stones, Grateful Dead and The Who are the closest in terms of fans. The Beatles probably pass Zep in this respect.

The third way to measure this would be overall impact on the music industry.

Only The Beatles have made an impact worth discussing in terms of Zeppelin. Both bands revolutionized the rock industry of the time. The Beatles made it popular. Zeppelin stood alone in a time where great music was common.

So overall I guess The Bealtes and The Who would be the closest.

What is the "level" we're talking about? Sales? Influence? Number of people wearing the band's name on t-shirts even though they couldn't name more than the two songs played on the radio? Awards?

When I think of massively huge bands from about 1968-1980, I think of Pink Floyd, The Who, The Stones and Led Zeppelin. So right there in my mind, you have their peer group.

Hi all,

Before the flame throwers come out,. ;)

I mentioned in LZ live that I got 30+ bootleg CD's of various Zep shows.Like I said Sam, a jaw-dropping Emotion would be over used by me!:P

Even the jazz and rock-jazz,progressive,live recordings I have,....When the lads were on,...as JPJ said,'We could wipe the floor with the lot of them'.IMHO. :)

KB (ALLY RULES!!!)

Hi all,

Before the flame throwers come out,. ;)

I mentioned in LZ live that I got 30+ bootleg CD's of various Zep shows.Like I said Sam, a jaw-dropping Emotion would be over used by me!:P

Even the jazz and rock-jazz,progressive,live recordings I have,....When the lads were on,...as JPJ said,'We could wipe the floor with the lot of them'.IMHO. :)

KB (ALLY RULES!!!)

haha. thats probably one of my favorite JPJ quotes.

"At our very worst, we were better than most people. And at our

very best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them."

hmmmmmm new signature?

Of their contemporaries it would be either the Who or Cream. Modern day, it would be Jane's Addiction (in their prime; not the last ten years or so).

No it would be Metallica

:blink::unsure::huh::mellow:

(sorry, all I could think of were smilies)

They have a lot of fans, and they dont suck, there 1st 4 albums are classics.

wrong quote sorry, ment for the poster above me.

• 3 months later...

It depends what you mean; either the same level of hard rocking or the same level of legendary music. For my personally, the only bands I would consider to be on the same legendary level with Led Zeppelin would be The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, even though I think the Stones are a bit overrated. If you're talking about hard rocking, I could see Black Sabbath as a likely response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as far as bands that are highly successful game changers that are the biggest band of their time, highly influential and at the cutting edge of rock and roll at some point in their career they're on the same level as Elvis, The Beatles and Nirvana. Musically to me they just don't compare to anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

"led zeppelins mediocore was better than anyone elses best" that's all I can say :) but bands that came close to people loving them and time I'd have to say the beatles. I don't like them that much but as with Elvis, you can even hate them, but you can't deny they have influenced about everything. But black sabbath IS my second fave band after led zepp...

Archived