1 time LZ benefit for Haiti

I'd love to see the guys do a show to raise money for disaster relief in Haiti. An LZ gig could help out a LOT. The important thing is to raise money to save lives, and the LZ gig is icing on the cake. I'll bet Robert would be cool with that. Here's hoping.

I'd love to see the guys do a show to raise money for disaster relief in Haiti. An LZ gig could help out a LOT. The important thing is to raise money to save lives, and the LZ gig is icing on the cake. I'll bet Robert would be cool with that. Here's hoping.

Why just Robert? John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham are busy with their own projects as well.

I guess it is possible to earmark a percentage to whoever happens to be doing the most good in Haiti at a given moment. But needs will change as time progresses, and a flexible, focused program is required for Haiti, not only for immediate relief but for ongoing reconstruction and preparedness for future events. Presently, Haiti needs improved logistics in order to get the most help to the most people expeditiously. There is a risk of public unrest hindering those providing assistance, so you really have to think carefully about where you place resources.

I don't think this would happen and don't think it's necessary.

Money is not the problem for Haiti. Plenty of donations are pouring in worldwide.

The main problem facing the relief effort is transporting the supplies to the people.

Unfortunately, no concert is going to fix that.

Good idea, though :)

Led Zeppelin reforming for that cause would take the whole focus away from the cause it is supporting.

The Arhmet tribute concert was completely forgotten and referred to as the LZ gig.

As much as I love Zeppelin, I don't think this is the best thing for the guys to be doing.

I feel the exact same way that you do.

Haiti requires calm, order and a sense of well-being. You do not want to provoke an Altamont scenario.

Right this is a time of mourning and I don't think "Kashmir" or anything like that would be very appropriate. IDK just my point of view. I believe there will be a benefit concert but Led Zep may be left in the dark on this one.... I'm not holding my breath..

Right this is a time of mourning and I don't think "Kashmir" or anything like that would be very appropriate. IDK just my point of view. I believe there will be a benefit concert but Led Zep may be left in the dark on this one.... I'm not holding my breath..

Can you imagine Led Zeppelin fans from around the world converging in Haiti to attend this event? They would further clog up Haiti's airport and probably interfere with relief efforts.

Only if Haiti were to invite Jimmy Page to stage some kind of appropriate event, now that could possibly work at some point, perhaps not now.

Can you imagine Led Zeppelin fans from around the world converging in Haiti to attend this event?  They would further clog up Haiti's airport and probably interfere with relief efforts. Only if Haiti were to invite Jimmy Page to stage some kind of appropriate event, now that could possibly work at some point, perhaps not now.

The throngs of the world would still converge. I meant a private performance anyway with my suggestion anyhow. You know, just to cheer up the local crowds.

^At some time in the distant future. They don't want to provoke civil unrest at this precarious time. Competition for tickets could get heated.

And we do not want a situation there where the military would have to evacuate Led Zeppelin fans who had never dealt with a natural disaster of this scale and suddenly discovered that it was more than they bargained for.

Maybe if members of Led Zeppelin wished to entertain the victims of this natural disaster and those assisting them that might work, but I would limit attendance, and also feature artists who are popular in Haiti.

And it's important not to spark riots. It is potentially dangerous due to the risk of civil unrest when basic services are so hard to obtain and so many people have died. They are currently estimating the death toll to reach 200,000. It is not a picnic in Haiti at the moment.

Maybe Sam the Webmaster could attend and moderate behind the scenes.

But you must be very flexible about staging any events in Haiti at this time. :-)

Jolly good suggestions! I knew you could come up with the answers!However if it were the Milan '71 audience, they might know how to deal with riotess conditions.

But this is more than a situation with riotous conditions. It is a natural disaster on a massive scale with a projected death toll of 200,000. Wait until the people have received enough services and have a chance to heal from the shock of this earthquake.

Maybe if members of Led Zeppelin wished to join the telethon that would be a simpler option at this time.

But the logistics of staging a show in Haiti now when the aid teams are having a problem transporting even the most basic of goods and services to the population of 3 million that was so hard-hit by this huge 7.0 earthquake, are really something to carefully contemplate.

Maybe Robert Plant could hold the microphone for Anderson Cooper when he reports on the scene for CNN, but it is risky. Conditions are not all that safe there right now.

But this is more than a situation with riotous conditions. It is a natural disaster on a massive scale with a projected death toll of 200,000. Wait until the people have received enough services and have a chance to heal from the shock of this earthquake. Maybe if members of Led Zeppelin wished to join the telethon that would be a simpler option at this time. But the logistics of staging a show in Haiti now when the aid teams are having a problem transporting even the most basic of goods and services to the population of 3 million that was so hard-hit by this huge 7.0 earthquake, are really something to carefully contemplate. Maybe Robert Plant could hold the microphone for Anderson Cooper when he reports on the scene for CNN, but it is risky. Conditions are not all that safe there right now.

I'm astounded by your expertise.  Hats off to Eternal Light!  :thumbsup:

As I watched the earthquake footage almost exclusively the past several days I've pondered this situation. No Haiti no American blues as we know it and therefore no Led Zeppelin as we know it. Which is why I find it very odd some of the ugly comments I've seen here, just some comments mind you. I don't understand. Anyway I do believe all of the guys feel a need to do something that could help. To be a part of an event if they were asked I would never believe they would say no. They might want to do it in secret so as to not draw attention to themselves. Or they might all participate as themselves as opposed to Led Zeppelin. One thing for sure if a cause such as this is not enough for Robert to consider reuniting nothing ever will. I would even bet my last dollar they are discussing it. Or the guys will do something but do it in conjunction with different groups that will serve different needs. This situation requires a very long term commitment to build a functioning city from the ground up. And when all the fuss and cameras are gone that is when they can be the most help in my opinion. For one thing it was hell living there before the quake. Think if you had to live there after the quake with no legs or one leg or no hands. Just remember the International Monetary fund has just "LOANED" Haiti 100 million dollars,loan mind you. Talk about adding salt to a wound. Now a huge amount of survivors crippled, unable to even to help rebuild. Here's some water, food, antibiotics and when can we expect our first payment? Next month? I'm sure all these issues are going through everyones mind. That is when something like the guys getting back together would come in quite handy. I believe as naive as it may sound this earthquake has the power to bring Robert to the table. Even though I still don't quite get the idea of people who donate to a cause only because a celebrity tells them to. At least with a concert you get something out of it. But at what expense? If everyone waived fees and costs I say yes but if you have to pay for it through ticket sales that's the kind of help the Haitians can well do without. I'm sure that's on peoples minds too especially the guys. The other thing I don't quite understand is millionairs asking people who may be eking by, for money. Sometimes when they get through with their event they say we raised 7 million dollars or 10 million dollars. That's Jay Leno, Conan O'brian, David Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel, Brian Williams, Anderson Cooper, Tom Cruise, David Gates, Donald Trump and Opera. BFD. George Clooney could just call these people up himself and get the money in 20 minutes. No fuss, no muss and almost no cost. I still feel though Led Zeppelin reuniting and only Led Zeppelin reuniting has the ability to draw enough money to make any potential cost of a concert seem like a drop in the bucket. It would have to be huge, simple, straight ahead, televised and a DVD made. That's my forecast I stand by that.

I've just read through this thread and I don't see any ugly comments. :huh: I also think "No Haiti, no American blues" is just wrong, let alone the Zeppelin part. But I do think the last thing people IN Haiti need or want to be thinking about right now is a concert, and that the last thing WE should be thinking about is "oh boy, disaster=Zeppelin reunion!" I think you'll find a lot of these millionaires (including the Zeppelin members) will have given enormous amounts of their own money on these occasions without any publicity--we can give our little bit, even if we don't get a concert as trade-off.

Archived