1 time LZ benefit for Haiti

....No Haiti no American blues as we know it and therefore no Led Zeppelin as we know it...

I know this is not the point of this topic but I just wanted to say that I think you're a bit off base here. I don't think that Haiti has much to do with the blues. I think their music was more European influenced than African but I'm far from a scholar on this. I just felt the need to comment.

I've just read through this thread and I don't see any ugly comments. :huh: I also think "No Haiti, no American blues" is just wrong, let alone the Zeppelin part. But I do think the last thing people IN Haiti need or want to be thinking about right now is a concert, and that the last thing WE should be thinking about is "oh boy, disaster=Zeppelin reunion!" I think you'll find a lot of these millionaires (including the Zeppelin members) will have given enormous amounts of their own money on these occasions without any publicity--we can give our little bit, even if we don't get a concert as trade-off.

I did see ugly comments on this topic. They are here under the Haiti earthquake issue. I did not say no Haiti no blues. I said no blues AS WE KNOW IT. If you understood what I wrote I was expressing that FURTHER ON IN TIME, further on meaning a significant period of time having been elapsed for example months or 11 months or this time next year that sort of thing when the cameras eyes are somewhere else that's when the cache of Led Zeppelin will be of the best use. And yes Haiti needs our help in any way now and for years. Has anyone here besides me even brought up the subject of artificial prothsetics. No sane person can really be thinking that Haiti it'self would be a good place to have a concert such as we are proposing or not proposing. As for the donations I personally don't need a celebrity to ask me to donate before they will and all the money raised so far indicates I'm not in the minority but some do. The George Clooney event will have music and lots of it. All I'm saying is sometimes it's weird when the amount of money raised by celebrities in events seems so minute when you compare it to the income that the celebrities have at their fingertips it seems easier and quicker if one of them would just call up the other 10 or 12 celebrities for the cash. The money would be liquid immediately and therefore put to use quicker. And I did say if the costs and fees were not waived a concert of any kind Led Zeppelin or not it would somehow seem in very poor taste. And I did say I believe the guys are thinking about all these issues. That's why I said it would have too be simple, straight ahead, no laser show just four guys and music. .....Got my mojo working but it, just don't work on you... Please don't tell me you guys think the significance of the lyrics of that song begins and ends solely with the song. Please don't. And please don't tell me that because even though Muddy Waters was from the south that song was written in Chicago so it doesn't count. Please don't. ....Got a Johny-Cock-A-Roo, gonna mess with you.

i really dont see why they should have to reform and play a gig for this cause. just because someone somewhere thinks it would be a good idea, doesnt mean it is. seem to recall last year there was a post on here from an australian suggesting they also do a show over there to help some other cause.

if they agree to one where does it end? i think the issue is if they decide to play a gig they will and they're unlikely to be swayed into doing something by the opinions of others. there are hundreds of good causes that could be supported at any time, it doesnt take a natural catastrophe to stimulate action.

just because someone somewhere thinks it would be a good idea for them to do someting, doesnt mean it is

oh, and on the pre/post zeppelin section someone has suggested that there should be a tribute concert for john bonham

any more suggestions? it's my birthday in february shall i suggest they get together and play for that? it's a good cause, well in my opinion it is

If your point is that a lot of Haitian Vodun imagery ends up in the blues, Nellgwen, let me point out that that imagery began in West Africa and that Haiti was just a stop on the Middle Passage--Haitian music in itself has little to no impact on the American blues.

And as I said, many of these celebrities have donated enormous amounts of cash with no publicity, and are now using their fame to encourage others to donate. Seems reasonable. But we have no idea what the Zeppelin members (or anybody else) are thinking.

It's a silly idea to begin with. Though I did think someone would suggest it.

There are tons of benefits going on now. Haiti may be richer than ever when all is said and done. No, not really, it's just that there are so many ways all of us can help w/o some LZ involvement.

This feels more like some Zeppelin fans wanting a gig for Zeppelin fans in the name of supporting a disaster fund.

And for anyone suggesting such a show or any show by anyone should be held on Haiti whilst they are still finding thousands of dead bodies is insensitive in my view.

Are people saying that they would seek to go to Haiti to see a rock show whilst the rescue operations, the greiving and the need to rebuild is still ongoing?

As much as I love Led Zeppelin I would rather be trying to help with the effort of finding people.

If a benefit show happens by anyone let it be later and for the right reasons.

Sorry folks but the idea isn't for me.

If they care to help they should just go down there and drive a bulldozer or work in the hospital or shove giant slabs of concrete out of the way. That'll put some hair on the chest of those soft, British bodies.

And you're giving them a hard time over this issue because . . ? You know nothing about what they do or don't "care to do."

This feels more like some Zeppelin fans wanting a gig for Zeppelin fans in the name of supporting a disaster fund.

And for anyone suggesting such a show or any show by anyone should be held on Haiti whilst they are still finding thousands of dead bodies is insensitive in my view.

Are people saying that they would seek to go to Haiti to see a rock show whilst the rescue operations, the greiving and the need to rebuild is still ongoing?

As much as I love Led Zeppelin I would rather be trying to help with the effort of finding people.

If a benefit show happens by anyone let it be later and for the right reasons.

Sorry folks but the idea isn't for me.

Well said and I wholly concur.

Which is why I find it very odd some of the ugly comments I've seen here, just some comments mind you.

I now see what you mean here--I had just been looking at this thread, but now looking at the Haiti thread I agree there are ugly comments.

But, in most cases, consider the source. <_<

I did see ugly comments on this topic. They are here under the Haiti earthquake issue. I did not say no Haiti no blues. I said no blues AS WE KNOW IT. If you understood what I wrote I was expressing that FURTHER ON IN TIME, further on meaning a significant period of time having been elapsed for example months or 11 months or this time next year that sort of thing when the cameras eyes are somewhere else that's when the cache of Led Zeppelin will be of the best use. And yes Haiti needs our help in any way now and for years. Has anyone here besides me even brought up the subject of artificial prothsetics. No sane person can really be thinking that Haiti it'self would be a good place to have a concert such as we are proposing or not proposing. As for the donations I personally don't need a celebrity to ask me to donate before they will and all the money raised so far indicates I'm not in the minority but some do. The George Clooney event will have music and lots of it. All I'm saying is sometimes it's weird when the amount of money raised by celebrities in events seems so minute when you compare it to the income that the celebrities have at their fingertips it seems easier and quicker if one of them would just call up the other 10 or 12 celebrities for the cash. The money would be liquid immediately and therefore put to use quicker. And I did say if the costs and fees were not waived a concert of any kind Led Zeppelin or not it would somehow seem in very poor taste. And I did say I believe the guys are thinking about all these issues. That's why I said it would have too be simple, straight ahead, no laser show just four guys and music. .....Got my mojo working but it, just don't work on you... Please don't tell me you guys think the significance of the lyrics of that song begins and ends solely with the song. Please don't. And please don't tell me that because even though Muddy Waters was from the south that song was written in Chicago so it doesn't count. Please don't. ....Got a Johny-Cock-A-Roo, gonna mess with you.

I think that he may have been referring to John the Conqueroo. He was one of those Hoodoo the Voodoo to You types.

In 1954, Muddy Waters recorded a very popular version of Willie Dixon's "(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man" song with an additional verse mentioning John the Conquer root:

I got a black cat bone, I got a mojo too,

I got a John the Conquer root, I'm gonna mess with you,

I'm gonna make you girls lead me by my hand,

Then the world will know the hoochie coochie man.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_the_Conqueror

And there's nothing Haitian about High John the Conqueror.

He was also known as John de Conquer. There may be some connection between the Creole culture in Marie LeVeau's New Orleans to the Vodou culture in Haiti, I don't know. It would have been either the French-speaking people in New Orleans or possibly Haiti who would have translated his name to de Conquer.

He was also known as John de Conquer. There may be some connection between the Creole culture in Marie LeVeau's New Orleans to the Vodou culture in Haiti, I don't know. It would have been either the French-speaking people in New Orleans or possibly Haiti who would have translated his name to de Conquer.

The West African culture that evolved into Vodou (or Vodun) in Haiti evolved into HooDoo in the US, Santeria in Brazil, etc. A lot of the same imagery under different names--High John the Conqueror, John the Conqueroo, John the Conquer Root, etc. etc.--this wasn't a written culture, people were just repeating what they heard, and it sounds different to different people. My point is just that it began in West Africa and ended up in the United States, and the fact that it made a stop in Haiti in some cases is irrelevant to the evolution of American blues.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good idea don't get me wrong, but I just can't see it happening. If you're thinking that this would be like a "Live-Aid" Concert, then you are dead wrong. It goes much deeper than that. :yesnod:

I mean some people would be going there to rock out when sometimes you need to take life a little more serious. I know I am just rambling on, but I needed to say it.

Archived