Scotland vacation

nellgwen

I was wondering if some of you knowledgeable people can help me. I am planning a trip to Scotland this summer. We are going primarily to Edinburgh but I would like to take a side trip to a few other places. One of my favorite shows right now is Monarch of the Glen. I would love to see that house even if it would only be from the road and have lunch at that little town that poses for the village. That's not the problem. I went to Google maps and entered in Led Zeppelin landmarks and clicked on Boleskine House. A brief description came up. It said that in 1990 it was bought by the MacGillivray clan and they turned it into a bed and breakfast. I then looked up bed and breakfast Scotland and had no luck finding it. If any of you know any facts could you slip them under my door? If we do get up to Loch Ness and spend the night that's where I want to stay. I know it may sound touristy and frankly goofy, but I only get frankly goofy over Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Charlie Chaplin. Also if any of you know if there are any music festivals that happen in June. One more thing, how cold is it in June?. Thank you for your help. I'll bring you back some socks.

I think Boleskin House is now a private residence and looky-loos are discouraged. Travelling around Loch Ness and the whole Highlands region is absolutely stunning. Loads of quaint B&Bs all over the place.

Scotland in June should be quite nice. Bring raingear though. If you're in Inverness, there are usually good folk music sessions in Hootenanny's venue every night. The Market Bar upstairs has some great bands - esp Stetson Head. Also search for Rock Ness festival. And Northern Roots Festival.

And unless you're a veggie, do try some real haggis from a family butcher. Hearty fare. And don't forget the 'half & half' - a half pint of stout with a Scotch chaser. Nice!

Happy travels.

I've posted my personal photographs of Boleskine House in the Photo Forum, just use the search function. They were taken in June 1997. As I recall the weather was just fine but a jacket was necessary as I made my way

around the Loch (Inverness, Urquart Castle, St. Augustine Abbey and Foyer's Falls are also worthy of a visit).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aug 31, 2008

Well, of course, the McGillivrays did run it as a guest house or B&B when they bought it from Jimmy.

I suppose, in a nutshell, the "Thelemic community" needs to acknowledge that Boleskine House was available on the open market when Jimmy offered it for sale and that same community didn't appear to consider it worthy of purchase and preservation despite its not unreasonable asking price.

We hear so much about the dilapidated state of the Abbey at Cefalu and the need for someone to step up to the plate with funds to preserve it. Meanwhile Boleskine slipped from being owned by a committed Thelemite of integrity to being a B&B and now a family home. We can hardly complain that it's privately owned by someone who is obviously less than impressed by the regular trespassing by self-professed "Satanists", Crowleyites and Page wannabes. You only have to look online to see images that demonstrate why the owner will have had more than enough of such nonsense.

So you say it's now like a fortress? With "hostile" Keep Out notices? Well, good for the current owner. I hope he or she continues to enjoy it in privacy and is left alone to do so.

---------------------

Editor and Owner

LAShTAL.COM

thank you all for the information. I did find a B&B that was very close to the house but closer to the loch so maybe that's a choice. Thanks for the weather information as well. I would be enough for me just to be in the same area just to see the country there. Thank you also for the Monarch of the Glen information too. I hated that last season.

Scotland is a great place to visit. You need to check out Sterling castle. The town of Sterling is also wonderful. Check out Loch Lomand. The drive to the Loch is cool. Take the ferry ride. I have not been to Loch Ness but it is pretty far from Edinburgh. The Scottish ales are really good. Bellhavens Best was my favorite.

I was wondering if some of you knowledgeable people can help me. I am planning a trip to Scotland this summer. We are going primarily to Edinburgh but I would like to take a side trip to a few other places. One of my favorite shows right now is Monarch of the Glen. I would love to see that house even if it would only be from the road and have lunch at that little town that poses for the village. That's not the problem. I went to Google maps and entered in Led Zeppelin landmarks and clicked on Boleskine House. A brief description came up. It said that in 1990 it was bought by the MacGillivray clan and they turned it into a bed and breakfast. I then looked up bed and breakfast Scotland and had no luck finding it. If any of you know any facts could you slip them under my door? If we do get up to Loch Ness and spend the night that's where I want to stay. I know it may sound touristy and frankly goofy, but I only get frankly goofy over Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Charlie Chaplin. Also if any of you know if there are any music festivals that happen in June. One more thing, how cold is it in June?. Thank you for your help. I'll bring you back some socks.

Scotland is a great place to visit. You need to check out Sterling castle. The town of Sterling is also wonderful. Check out Loch Lomand. The drive to the Loch is cool. Take the ferry ride. I have not been to Loch Ness but it is pretty far from Edinburgh. The Scottish ales are really good. Bellhavens Best was my favorite.

agreed a quite beautiful place

I was in Scotland last summer and took a day trip to Loch Ness. The bus driver said that there is a walking tour along the length of Loch Ness. I think it takes about 5-7 days. You can arrange to have your luggage delivered to your next stop if you don't want to carry it.

July in Scotland was beautiful, weather was around 60-70 F and just some light rain now and then.

Archived