Did Robert Plant Play Dungeons and Dragons?

littlebigsongs

Robert Plant was the epitome of 1970s swagger. Tall, with a Roman nose, and long golden locks, the guy oozed hippie-gone-wrong sexuality. Plus the Led Zeppelin frontman had the pipes, from the screech to growl, to stake a claim to cool.

He may have had the looks and voice of a classic rock rebel, but often his lyrics weren’t so dangerous. As a matter of fact, they could have been drafted at a Dungeon and Dragons convention. READ MORE

My link

Robert Plant was the epitome of 1970s swagger. Tall, with a Roman nose, and long golden locks, the guy oozed hippie-gone-wrong sexuality. Plus the Led Zeppelin frontman had the pipes, from the screech to growl, to stake a claim to cool.

He may have had the looks and voice of a classic rock rebel, but often his lyrics weren't so dangerous. As a matter of fact, they could have been drafted at a Dungeon and Dragons convention. READ MORE

My link

He was hardly a rebel. blink.gif

BTW he was around long before D & D.

Welcome to the forum anyway.

That Conan skit was done almost a year ago.

D&D wasn't even published until 1974, long after the lyrics the link refers to were written.

I was surprised to hear that the game came out in '74 and has been around for 35 years.

I daresay D & D was inspired by LOTR.

I was surprised to hear that the game came out in '74 and has been around for 35 years.

I daresay D & D was inspired by LOTR.

The theme of D&D was influenced by mythology, pulp fiction, and contemporary fantasy authors of the 1960s and 1970s. The presence of halflings, elves, dwarves, half-elves, orcs, dragons, and the like, often draw comparisons to the work of J.R.R. Tolkien. Gary Gygax maintained that he was influenced very little by The Lord of the Rings (although the owners of that work's copyright forced the name changes of hobbit to 'halfling', ent to 'treant', and balrog to 'Type VI demon [balor]'), stating that he included these elements as a marketing move to draw on the popularity of the work.

The magic system, in which wizards memorize spells that are used up once cast (and must be re-memorized the next day), was heavily influenced by the Dying Earth stories and novels of Jack Vance. The original alignment system (which grouped all players and creatures into 'Law', 'Neutrality' and 'Chaos') was derived from the novel Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson. A troll described in this work also influenced the D&D definition of that monster.

Other influences include the works of Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, A. Merritt, H. P. Lovecraft, Fritz Leiber, L. Sprague de Camp, Fletcher Pratt, Roger Zelazny, and Michael Moorcock. Monsters, spells, and magic items used in the game have been inspired by hundreds of individual works ranging from A. E. van Vogt's "Black Destroyer", Coeurl (the Displacer Beast), Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" (vorpal sword) to the Book of Genesis (the clerical spell 'Blade Barrier' was inspired by the "flaming sword which turned every way" at the gates of Eden).

Archived