"In the Mood" video cast list?

bbrighton

Sorry I missed you ZepHead... :) Thanks for the props on my post.

@ SteveAJones... Great information! Would love to hear the interview with Jim Ladd and it's close relevance to the video shoot. You are certainly helping me fill in a lot of missing information. Thank you for that. That is a fascinating interview - considering it happened right smack dab in the middle of the video shoot. Right on about the release date for POM...

I must have been thinking about the date that "Big Log" was released as a single maybe later in August? I have a very short video snippet of one of the MTV VJ's interviewing Robert about the song Big Log (I can't recall if it's JJ or Allen Hunter). I taped it off of a show hosted by Martha Quinn called "Classic MTV" in the late 80's (1989 to be exact). You know the 80's are classic when they haven't even ended and they're calling it "Classic MTV"....LOL. Robert had some very interesting perspective about the song. He said something to the effect:

"Uhhhh....it's a very wistful song. You know? It sort of rounds the whole album up at the end. Like when the hero or whatever is walking off into the sunset and the credits are rolling.... It has that feel, but yet, it also says a lot about..........me".

I visited Calico in 2003 (stayed in the cabins there a few days) so I have quite a bit of photography of the Calico School House. I did the Ghost Town tour at sunset, which included the School House - but you couldn't go in and walk around. I believe due to it's age, it's climate controlled on the inside. It's been restored a couple of times since '83 (in the Big Log video, it appears very run down, at least on the exterior). *I can tell you that many (if not all) of the props and items inside the schoolhouse looked exactly the same as they did in the video (such as the black board, the desks and chairs, and the globe on the desk). It literally looked unchanged - at least 10 years ago when I saw it. I befriended the tour guide. I probably could have gotten in there had I asked. He told me that the apparition of a little girl has been seen there. Ironic, since Robert kind of does this ghost thing with himself in the video while he's walking around in the school house.

I had previously driven through Yermo CA on Rte 15 in November 1995 - driving from Vegas to L.A. and I remember seeing this big "C" on the side of a hill behind the town - not uncommon in the SouthWest. It might have even said "Calico" now that I think about it. At the time, I just kind of snickered to myself and had no idea whatsoever that part of "Big Log" was filmed there. I wouldn't have my first PC and dial-up Internet access until about a year later...LOL. ~John

Edited by jbfyipi

@jbfyipi: Great stuff! In the interest of historical accuracy, I think I'd like to walk back my comments about the Glass Pool Inn scenes definitively being filmed the night of July 4, 1983. Certainly it was that week, but perhaps not that night for as I got to thinking it's asking a lot to do MTV in the morning, shoot video scenes and then do an hour on Rockline. Besides,

I think Rockline used to air at 10:30pm or thereabouts. Seems to me at that time of year the sun would not have gone down on Las Vegas until just about the time he would have had

to be doing the call-in radio show. Perhaps I'm over thinking this, but I didn't want to make a definitive statement when the jury is still out, so to speak. Ideally, Po may have a journal he can reference and won't mind sharing with us.

@SteveAJones:

That's no problem... My initial thoughts about the interview stuff; is is possible that some of it may have been pre-recorded? - although I know MTV did a lot of "live" interviews in the early days. The reason I mention this is because the former Glass Pool owner indicated that Robert and crew stayed there - kind of using it as a home base during the BL video shoot. I imagine they were in the area at least a couple of full days to shoot all of the scenes. They may have even shot scenes that they didn't end up using. The more I think about it, they probably didn't even need Robert back at the gas station in Crystal (for the scene where he wakes up in the car at the end). They could have shot that anywhere. The car being towed away, and the woman pulling in at the end were obviously shot in the early evening at the actual gas station location in Crystal. Having made the drive from Vegas to L.A. - it can be done in 3 1/2 hours. I'm not sure if that jibes with the Rockline Interview timeline or not.

I agree, Aubrey Powell may very well hold the key to a lot of this... He was there!

• 2 years later...
On January 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM, SteveAJones said:

Your right, there would have to be at least one Wal-Mart to be Arkansas.

Been a long while since I watched it, went from memory on the indoor breakdancing scene when I posted. Having just watched it now, the Green Back Films credit reminds me that company was formed in 1983 by Storm Thorgerson and Peter Christopherson of Hipgnosis along with Aubrey Powell (nicknamed "Po"), any of whom may possibly have casting details on file. It could have been filmed in Southern California, but then again it could possibly have been filmed in Ibiza, which is where the Sea of Love video was filmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpSyGTzot0

Hello,

Just an FYI, the bar scene was filmed in Las Vegas, at little local's dive bar on E. Sahara Ave., between Maryland Parkway and Spencer, on the north side of Sahara.

(I was the girl in the video)

On 1/25/2010 at 7:12 PM, SteveAJones said:

Your right, there would have to be at least one Wal-Mart to be Arkansas.

Been a long while since I watched it, went from memory on the indoor breakdancing scene when I posted. Having just watched it now, the Green Back Films credit reminds me that company was formed in 1983 by Storm Thorgerson and Peter Christopherson of Hipgnosis along with Aubrey Powell (nicknamed "Po"), any of whom may possibly have casting details on file. It could have been filmed in Southern California, but then again it could possibly have been filmed in Ibiza, which is where the Sea of Love video was filmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpSyGTzot0

*You're

• 2 years later...
On 3/14/2016 at 8:33 PM, Beans said:

Hello,

Just an FYI, the bar scene was filmed in Las Vegas, at little local's dive bar on E. Sahara Ave., between Maryland Parkway and Spencer, on the north side of Sahara.

1600 E Sahara Ave

Its a Korean Church, now. Total bummer 😞

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, Beans said:

Hello,

Sorry. I did not see this until now!

11 hours ago, Arlenbme said:

1600 E Sahara Ave

Its a Korean Church, now. Total bummer 😞

Thanks! I'll look into this.

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 12:55 PM, SteveAJones said:

Sorry. I did not see this until now!

Thanks! I'll look into this.

It was called My Cousin Vinnys. If you pull up pics, or their old Facebook page, there are numerous photos that confirm the interior layout.

I even went so far as to message one of the guys who was always posting photos and asked if he knew about the video being shot there. He said “there were always rumors of a music video crew back in the 80’s”. Unfortunately, the guy that owned the place back then passed away. It wasn’t called My Cousin Vinnys back when the video was shot.

ill be out in Vegas next week and it still bums me out that I can’t go in there.

Edited by Arlenbme

19 hours ago, Arlenbme said:

It was called My Cousin Vinnys. If you pull up pics, or their old Facebook page, there are numerous photos that confirm the interior layout.

I even went so far as to message one of the guys who was always posting photos and asked if he knew about the video being shot there. He said “there were always rumors of a music video crew back in the 80’s”. Unfortunately, the guy that owned the place back then passed away. It wasn’t called My Cousin Vinnys back when the video was shot.

ill be out in Vegas next week and it still bums me out that I can’t go in there.

Interesting! Thank you. Robert also did some filming near Las Vegas for the Big Log promo video. He is shown swimming at the Glass Pool Inn, which has since been demolished. I intend to confirm the film location at 2:00 below. It's almost certainly on the route from Los Angeles to Calico Ghost Town. 

• 1 year later...

Ok I am having Mandela Effect issues with this. I always remembered there being a hispanic girl featured more prominently in this video, like a main character, looking into the camera. Is there another version of the Big Log video that is now erased from our current time-space trajectory existence due to reckless experimentation with the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland, or otherwise?

9 hours ago, vettages said:

Ok I am having Mandela Effect issues with this. I always remembered there being a hispanic girl featured more prominently in this video, like a main character, looking into the camera. Is there another version of the Big Log video that is now erased from our current time-space trajectory existence due to reckless experimentation with the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland, or otherwise?

No. There is a Hispanic woman with a bit part in the promo video for Big Log. There is another that looks directly into the camera during the promo video for The Firm's Satisfaction Guaranteed. Perhaps you're thinking of those.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

No. There is a Hispanic woman with a bit part in the promo video for Big Log. There is another that looks directly into the camera during the promo video for The Firm's Satisfaction Guaranteed. Perhaps you're thinking of those.

Lol ok now I solved this. Somehow mixed up the girl from "In the Mood for a Melody" with the video for "Big Log." Time to lay off the scotch. 

4 hours ago, vettages said:

Lol ok now I solved this. Somehow mixed up the girl from "In the Mood for a Melody" with the video for "Big Log." Time to lay off the scotch. 

Enjoying a little bit of the 4th festivities we see.🇺🇸😎👍

R😎

On 7/5/2020 at 5:55 AM, reids said:

Enjoying a little bit of the 4th festivities we see.🇺🇸😎👍

R😎

Fun fact: Robert swimming in the Big Log video was filmed on the Fourth of July 1983 at the semi-famous Glass Pool Inn near Las Vegas. I believe the gas station scenes were filmed in Crystal, Nevada that same day. Other scenes were filmed at the Calico Ghost Town.

Crystal.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones