Ending of In My Time of Dying

I thought someone says something like; "That's going to be the one, isn't it?"

Because of its improvisational nature the band never had a rehearsed ending for the song. The studio version ends with: "I'm going to make it my dyin', dyin', dyin'..." After a few seconds of silence followed by a dramatically-feigned coughing fit (likely by John Bonham) is heard. Playing along, Plant quips "cough" as an apt final word for the song. Bonham can then be heard exclaiming, "That's gonna be the one, isn't it?", referring to that particular take. This is followed by a different voice (likely that of recording engineer Andy Johns) saying through the talk-back microphone "Come have a listen, then." Bonham then releases the clutch of his hi-hat and says (rather sheepishly) "Oh, yes. Thank you."

In the May 2008 issue of Uncut magazine, Page elaborated on the humorous reaction in the studio which can be heard at the end of the song:

We were just having such a wonderful time. Look, we had a framework for "In My Time Of Dying", Ok, but then it just takes off and we're just doing what Led Zeppelin do. We're jamming. We're having a ball. We. Are. Playing.

The first known recording of this song was under the title "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed" recorded by blues-gospel guitarist Blind Willie Johnson; the sides were recorded over the period 1927-1930. I've speculated the coughing at the end Led Zeppelin's 'IMTOD' is an inside joke over Johnson having died from pneumonia, but if so none of them have admitted it publicly.

Because of its improvisational nature the band never had a rehearsed ending for the song. The studio version ends with: "I'm going to make it my dyin', dyin', dyin'..." After a few seconds of silence followed by a dramatically-feigned coughing fit (likely by John Bonham) is heard. Playing along, Plant quips "cough" as an apt final word for the song. Bonham can then be heard exclaiming, "That's gonna be the one, isn't it?", referring to that particular take. This is followed by a different voice (likely that of recording engineer Andy Johns) saying through the talk-back microphone "Come have a listen, then." Bonham then releases the clutch of his hi-hat and says (rather sheepishly) "Oh, yes. Thank you."

I hear Bonzo saying "That's gotta be the one, hasn't it?" But either way the sentiment is the same -- Bonzo is very satisfied with the take and he's ready to move on to the next song.

The first known recording of this song was under the title "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed" recorded by blues-gospel guitarist Blind Willie Johnson; the sides were recorded over the period 1927-1930. I've speculated the coughing at the end Led Zeppelin's 'IMTOD' is an inside joke over Johnson having died from pneumonia, but if so none of them have admitted it publicly.

Archived