IT MIGHT GET LOUD

Nice photos Stacicool.gif

I agree that you have to ignore the negative attitude people, they will suck the life out of you if you let them.

Keep everything on a positive note, screw the haters let them wallow in their own worthlessnessdry.gif

Peace

Charlie peace.gif

I don't know what you guys think but my favorite scene from the movie is when jimmy goes back to the house at headley where they recorded the album and where the drums were set up to record when the levee breaks. He really looked like he was really moved and happy to travel back there and the memories he must have had being there.

I don't know what you guys think but my favorite scene from the movie is when jimmy goes back to the house at headley where they recorded the album and where the drums were set up to record when the levee breaks. He really looked like he was really moved and happy to travel back there and the memories he must have had being there.

Myself as well! I actually wept in the theater during those scenes. Touched me deeply.

No snow flurries here in Los Angeles. Sorry 'bout that, guys.

I've got to say, out of all the YOUTUBE videos I have, the IT MIGHT GET LOUD one has the most views and the most comments. (Jackie Chan is shortly behind, now -- it was #1 forever)

With comments, unfortunately, come trolls. Some people don't like Jack White, almost nobody doesn't like Jimmy (of course :), some people hate me, but WOW... The Edge isn't even in the video and I get the most vicious, nasty, hateful, rotten and awful comments on him. Pure vitriol! And such profanity, too. It was shocking to me, at first. I had no idea he'd provoke people so much. I mean, he just seems like a normal, every day guy to me. Kind of bland, so what to "hate"? (In case you go looking, don't bother b/c I remove all mean comments. My YouTube channel isn't a democracy :)

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but since we're on the subject of It Might Get Loud and YouTube, etc., I'll chance the flames... OR, just stop reading here if you don't want to see off topic.

I'll give you a little background: I'm an entertainment reporter full time, all day everyday, and I work on camera about half the time (the rest is writing). In person, I get the most amazing feedback -- lots of great compliments on my fashion sense, hair color, looks, etc. Inside, I am pretty insecure, so I take it with a grain of salt... but it's a fact: at least once a day -- at the grocery store, at work, at the movies, where ever -- someone will go out of their way to say something really nice to me.

I should dwell on that, but instead, I allow myself to become down and depressed when I get a mean comment on YouTube on one of my video interviews. It's not very often, maybe once or twice a week, but those anonymous users are so vicious and cruel. I pay attention, because repeated words are along the lines of "she's old", "too old for that hairstyle," "too old to be wearing that", "I don't like her face", "stupid", and "annoying". Those are mostly on the IT MIGHT GET LOUD video. I can kind of understand the "stupid" one, since I only had two minutes to interview 3 people and had to stick to very basic sound bites.

"Old" has been coming up a lot lately on my videos (of course, most of the YouTube commenters are 16!) ... and given the nature of my business, it's worrisome. I can't judge myself accurately probably, but I really don't think I look "old". (And what *IS* old, anyway? I'd only use that word for someone who is elderly.)

So, I have a couple of questions / requests.

Would you look at these recent pictures (sorry, but I don't think I've been a MB user long enough to imbed a lot images, so here are links) and tell me how old I look to you? I'm really curious what the average person, who has never seen me, might think.

PHOTO TAKEN 7 DAYS AGO

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1003183&l=33b27e56b4&id=1069883333

PHOTOS ON FACEBOOK, NONE MORE THAN 6 MONTHS OLD

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=-3&id=1069883333&l=3637109e41

Of course, there have always been mean people out there. But now the forums and anonymity add a whole new dimension to it. (But I **still** wouldn't bag on anyone in a public forum even if I knew no one would ever guess it's me.) I don't know if you've seen it, but JAMIE KENNEDY did a good documentary on the subject, called "Heckler". He went out and found and confronted some of his detractors. Not many were as brave when given the chance to say those things to his face.

Thanks very much...

Staci

Well Staci, I wouldn't let it get you down to much. I mean, the youngster's calling you old or not hip or any thing like that. After all, there is growing old and there is, growing old gracefully. I remember when I was young (like ledzepfvr said) and thinking that 40 something was a long way off and I'd be dead by then! If I knew then what I know now..... :slapface:

You really should be quite use to this sort of thing Staci, as you said the "Business" is not that good, even if you look at just the pluses you receive (you have done well in my comparison :thumbsup: )!

Oh, and for what it's worth the whole subject "if you should be doing what your doing" may belong in another posting area, not telling you what to do or any thing (I'm not in-charge here) but the part on "It Might get Loud" is on topic!

Bye the way did you get my e-mail?

That was my favorite too :D

It came on screen & I whispered "Holy shit...its actually Headley Grange..."

I cant wait to have this on DVD, but right now I'm saving up to see TCV in a few weeks.

What exactly is a troll? And am I one when I state the following?: It's embarrassing to watch Jack White hang in there with his relatively lightweight riff when I don't see his stuff being anywhere near Jimmy's level. For chrissake, he's a kid in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I actually like White Stripes, but Jack don't hold a dime to Jimmy Page.

dime.jpg

No, you're not a troll. You're just someone who isn't into Jack White's music (which is intended to be minimalistic, and takes a different approach from Jimmy's--plus, the generational difference is part of the point of the film!). Not everybody has the same tastes--me and you, for instance. :D

A troll is someone who posts for the sole purpose of causing trouble and being annoying.

No, you're not a troll. You're just someone who isn't into Jack White's music (which is intended to be minimalistic, and takes a different approach from Jimmy's--plus, the generational difference is part of the point of the film!). Not everybody has the same tastes--me and you, for instance. :D

A troll is someone who posts for the sole purpose of causing trouble and being annoying.

Actually, I have no problem with Jack's music. It's just laughable when stood side-by-side with Jimmy's. But in his defense, I suppose he would have found it embarrassing to display some hero worship. I just found it embarrassing. On the bright side, he provided a backdrop to make Jimmy look like the super-guitarist that he is.

jimmywiththedanelectro.jpg

olderJimmy.jpg

You're kinda displaying a lack of understanding of Jack's music, despite the way he explained it pretty clearly in the film. Jimmy thinks he's a great guitarist, and he didn't look too embarrassed. Just because JW's doing something different from the other two, it's a shame you find that laughable, but to each his own. I think he's amazingly talented, personally, but that's just me.

Jack definitely has his place in music. I don't dispute that. He just doesn't have the magic.

I have to be honest before seeing this movie jack did'ent impress me much but after watching the dvd I have more respect for him. He's not a bad guitar player. Actually he surprised me a lot.

I have to be honest before seeing this movie jack did'ent impress me much but after watching the dvd I have more respect for him. He's not a bad guitar player. Actually he surprised me a lot.

I agree; I mistakenly assumed he was a punk rocker and had no idea how heavily he was influenced by the blues, or his instinct for innovation. So that made him interesting to me. I saw a lot of similarities between Jack and Jimmy even though there are differences in their playing; and were it not for the movie (and I guess you could say Jimmy's "blessing") I would not be listening to his music now if that makes sense.

(I would love to be listening to new Jimmy stuff, but there's this back catalog of Jack stuff to check out in the meantime).

I found it humourous when The Edge was showing the other 2 his song (I totally forget what it was he was playing.....I'm not a U2 fan), and Jimmy is questioning that it's a C he's playing. He seems to question the C again when they're done jamming.

Did I misunderstand or misinterpret?

I agree; I mistakenly assumed he was a punk rocker and had no idea how heavily he was influenced by the blues, or his instinct for innovation. So that made him interesting to me. I saw a lot of similarities between Jack and Jimmy even though there are differences in their playing; and were it not for the movie (and I guess you could say Jimmy's "blessing") I would not be listening to his music now if that makes sense.

(I would love to be listening to new Jimmy stuff, but there's this back catalog of Jack stuff to check out in the meantime).

I love Jack White. I've seen both Jimmy and Jack in concert, and they're just different. For those who DO like Jack White, I have a bunch of pics from the DEAD WEATHER concerts in L.A., plus videos of the shows on YouTube. I'll post them in the "other bands" forum.

Staci

I've been a fan of Jack White since the second White Stripes album "De Stijl" came out. Around that time I joined the old LZ forum. I'd rave about Jack White & how he had elements of Page's style to his playing. Complete & totally heresy on my part from the reaction I got. How dare I compare this "punk" three chord playing hack to Jimmy Page? Mind you half the people saying this had never even heard a Yardbirds song with Jimmy Page playing on it & thought Page was maestro right out of the box with the first Zeppelin album. The other half would bemoan the fact there were no "real" guitar players anymore like Page, Hendrix, Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth, Van Halen, Rhoads, Malmsteen, etc. Both would agree that there was no more "real" rock bands anymore. Hilarious. Absolute snobbery from people who claimed they hated snobbery in rock music. By the way my mentioning of Dave Grohl fared no better at the time. My rating of him as a great drummer was instantly shot down, never mind playing with a reformed Zep.

Well I'm glad that some people have changed their minds & are now willing to give White & Grohl a chance. All it took was White to be in a movie with Page (& a joint interview in Guitar World 5 years ago) & for Dave Grohl to be in a band drummming with John Paul Jones (& his work on a Foo's album) for some acceptance of both these musicians. Wow, who knew that's all it took?

Edited to add:

I guess The Edge should give Robert a call to see if he could use a guitar player. It would only help his standing with LZ fans who for some illogical reason can't stand him either.

Well I'm glad that some people have changed their minds & are now willing to give White & Grohl a chance. All it took was White to be in a movie with Page (& a joint interview in Guitar World 5 years ago) & for Dave Grohl to be in a band drummming with John Paul Jones (& his work on a Foo's album) for some acceptance of both these musicians. Wow, who knew that's all it took?

In my case it wasn't snobbery but mistaken assumptions and stage of life. :) A lot of great bands came into being when I was raising babies and listening to Barney; it's only been in the last few years that we're getting back to our own musical tastes.

In my case it wasn't snobbery but mistaken assumptions and stage of life. :) A lot of great bands came into being when I was raising babies and listening to Barney; it's only been in the last few years that we're getting back to our own musical tastes.

Catchy tune eh?

When you start hearing your teenage kids arguing over whose a better guitarist Hendrix -or- Page, then you realize you've been out of touch for awhile. Did start my own revival though :<).

"Well I'm glad that some people have changed their minds & are now willing to give White & Grohl a chance. All it took was White to be in a movie with Page (& a joint interview in Guitar World 5 years ago) & for Dave Grohl to be in a band drummming with John Paul Jones (& his work on a Foo's album) for some acceptance of both these musicians. Wow, who knew that's all it took?"

What's everybody looking at me for?? What did I do?

:shifty:

I certainly wasn't pointing fingers at you as I know you're pretty open to music. It was towards people who I don't think even re-joined this forum after the old one folded. But truthfully, I am gloating :D . I for once deserve that right as I had WAY to many arguements on the old board because of it... & quite a few here too under my old name in regards to White & Grohl. Anywho, I feel justice has been served in my favor yet I have none of those nimrod's around to shove it in their collective faces lol. Ok, my rant is done :D

Archived