IT MIGHT GET LOUD

I certainly wasn't pointing fingers at you as I know you're pretty open to music. It was towards people who I don't think even re-joined this forum after the old one folded. But truthfully, I am gloating :D . I for once deserve that right as I had WAY to many arguements on the old board because of it... & quite a few here too under my old name in regards to White & Grohl. Anywho, I feel justice has been served in my favor yet I have none of those nimrod's around to shove it in their collective faces lol. Ok, my rant is done :D

You have a good sense for music. I am serious about the Hendrix/Page argument...I got this big smile on my face. IMGL helped in this revival, but it really has been my kids and others their age. I can remember walking into a service station to pay for gas -- on a sunny early spring day -- to the sound of a blaring boom box with Ramble On playing in the back ground. The teenage kid behind the counter was rockin' out and said to me "pretty good for a bunch of dead guys." I went out and bought my first CD in years right after -- Zep Early days/ Later Days. Starting branching out after that and have attended some concerts with my kids as well.

It's all fun!

It's all good :) It's almost like waking up from a musical coma; we dropped out during Grunge and woke back up again right around the O2...lots of catching up to do! (Exception being Dave Matthews because he's local) :)

You have a good sense for music. I am serious about the Hendrix/Page argument...I got this big smile on my face. IMGL helped in this revival, but it really has been my kids and others their age. I can remember walking into a service station to pay for gas -- on a sunny early spring day -- to the sound of a blaring boom box with Ramble On playing in the back ground. The teenage kid behind the counter was rockin' out and said to me "pretty good for a bunch of dead guys." I went out and bought my first CD in years right after -- Zep Early days/ Later Days. Starting branching out after that and have attended some concerts with my kids as well.

It's all fun!

Everyone on this forum obviously loves Zeppelin & a lot of the bands from the era from which they came. I'm in my late 30's but I'm surronded by people my age who get my point of reference & also by people who are older than me who may have witnessed Zeppelin first hand among other bands as well & those who are teenagers who are just getting into Zep & older bands very exitingly as it's all new to them. My point is give newer musicians a chance. Jack White has been around for over a decade now & he's finally being given some respect here. Unfortunately with most not because of what he himself has actually accomplished as a musician but because of his association with Page. It is a start though. The same with Grohl who even just before Them Crooked Vulture's formed was being slammed outright on threads here which I kept out of for the most part but Grohl is now finally getting some respect here, once again unfortunately mainly not due to his own musical history but by his association with a former Zeppelin member... but it is a start. There's no point in comparing White, Grohl, or any relatively new musician to musicians of the 60's & 70's because they have a completely different point of reference & influences than those older musicians. It would be like some Elvis fan in his 70's constantly comparing Page to Scotty Moore & James Burton, it's a totally different point of reference & of course that guy would shoot down what ever Page played in comparison to Moore & Burton even though

Page was a big fan of both. That Elvis fan guy should have open ears & listen to Page for what Page does as a musician, not what Moore & Burton did with Elvis before him. It's all relative.

Anyway, my ideal band for years would have had Page on guitar & Jones on bass/keyboards, along with Grohl on drums and either Jack White or Black Francis on vocals/second guitar. This was considered blasphemous by most lol :D . Well, hopefully Page can still do something with Jack White and/or Black Francis. I'd certainly buy it.

Everyone on this forum obviously loves Zeppelin & a lot of the bands from the era from which they came. I'm in my late 30's but I'm surronded by people my age who get my point of reference & also by people who are older than me who may have witnessed Zeppelin first hand among other bands as well & those who are teenagers who are just getting into Zep & older bands very exitingly as it's all new to them. My point is give newer musicians a chance. Jack White has been around for over a decade now & he's finally being given some respect here. Unfortunately with most not because of what he himself has actually accomplished as a musician but because of his association with Page. It is a start though. The same with Grohl who even just before Them Crooked Vulture's formed was being slammed outright on threads here which I kept out of for the most part but Grohl is now finally getting some respect here, once again unfortunately mainly not due to his own musical history but by his association with a former Zeppelin member... but it is a start. There's no point in comparing White, Grohl, or any relatively new musician to musicians of the 60's & 70's because they have a completely different point of reference & influences than those older musicians. It would be like some Elvis fan in his 70's constantly comparing Page to Scotty Moore & James Burton, it's a totally different point of reference & of course that guy would shoot down what ever Page played in comparison to Moore & Burton even though

Page was a big fan of both. That Elvis fan guy should have open ears & listen to Page for what Page does as a musician, not what Moore & Burton did with Elvis before him. It's all relative.

Anyway, my ideal band for years would have had Page on guitar & Jones on bass/keyboards, along with Grohl on drums and either Jack White or Black Francis on vocals/second guitar. This was considered blasphemous by most lol :D . Well, hopefully Page can still do something with Jack White and/or Black Francis. I'd certainly buy it.

When I heard the short clip of Jack White on "Blue Veins" in IMGL....I was literally blown away. That guitar was attached directly to his soul. I thought to myself, "this guys good...really good."

No disagreement here....

Edit to include referenced clip (full youtube versions equally impressive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aog3YY3GJm8

When I heard the short clip of Jack White on "Blue Veins" in IMGL....I was literally blown away. That guitar was attached directly to his soul. I thought to myself, "this guys good...really good."

No disagreement here....

Edit to include referenced clip (full youtube versions equally impressive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aog3YY3GJm8

I tagged along with some friends to see the White Stripes at Roseland in NY in fall of 2003. Before that I thought they were decent but after the show I became a big fan. It was clear to me that any characterization of Jack White as a three chord "punk" player was way off the mark. I don't think he's the guitarist that Page is but then again I don't really think anyone is the guitarist Page is. :D And that doesn't matter anyway.

Jack is damn good.

Yes, I sure did go OFF TOPIC... sorry 'bout that. Looks like the board's back on track now.

I don't think I got an email. You mean a PM?

Thanks,

Staci

No, an email/contact through your website, I'm sure I talked about this forum and my solo act. It was strictly business oriented, about three months ago. That was before I researched you site more, while the people that you interview are in higher places than me I do still need the publicity as I'm dieing in this town I'm in now.

It's ok for going off topic Staci, it happens some times and I don't think less of you for it.

You can contact me here or from my email if you're feeling generous and want to take the time.

No, an email/contact through your website, I'm sure I talked about this forum and my solo act. It was strictly business oriented, about three months ago.

Oh, OK. I get TONS of emails, but I do answer every one of them. So... if you didn't hear back from me, then no. If you have any questions, feel free to send another, or friend me on Facebook. I am on Facebook a lot more than message boards (love that FB iPhone app... ;)

facebook.com/staciwilson

E-Ya Later,

Staci

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw this movie tonight, after renting it from Netflix. I've never cared for U2, and this movie did nothing to change that. Strumming the same two or three notes over and over and over and over and drowning it in reverb while Bono whines in falsetto isn't my idea of music. I just can't understand why anyone would want to sound like that, or want to hear it. He's not doing anything that wasn't done years earlier by King Crimson, who did it much better. In the deleted scenes, he soundchecks three tunes, and they all sound identical. And that beanie the Edge insists on wearing, not to mention his nickname....could he be any more pretentious? I'd really like to go the rest of my life without ever hearing U2 again.

As for Jack, I'd heard a couple of his tunes before seeing the flick, and they didn't do much for me. I have more respect for him now that I see what he's trying to do. Though I don't enjoy it enough that I'm actually going to spend any money buying his music, but at least he's trying to do something with some soul, unlike the Edge. I do think he's a good singer.

Jimmy is the big dog in the movie, and the other two are puppies tagging along.

It makes perfect sense--they all like sports, so given that they each chose a different path, let's see why, and let's see what they have in common. It might tell us something about the allure of sports in general.

And these three are all guitarists, it's not even like you've got a guitarist, a drummer, and a saxophonist. Why THESE three guitarists is a different issue, but I think good arguments have been made for their variations in style, approach, generation, etc.

(Plus I must admit that the Edge, about whom I know little--it was only when I watched the deleted scenes that it occurred to me that he must have another name :D --struck me as the opposite of pretentious, but obviously we all react to him and White very differently.)

Just a terrible combination. Putting Jimmy in there with those other two guys is like getting a football player, a basketball player, and a golfer together to discuss sports. It makes no sense.

It's just showing a different perspective, with guitarist from different generations, with different styles. I'm not a fan of U2, but I thought he contributed nicely. And I have great respect for Jack White now. His taste in music is fabulous. Again, not a big fan, although I would like to listen to some more of his stuff after seeing where his influence came from. But I think he contributed nicely as well.

Btw, you getting any snow yet? I think it's supposed to get up to 5 inches. Isn't this Texas weather nuts?

Two things stand out about the Edge in this movie to me (other than that stupid hat and nickname): at one point he plays a riff that involves strumming two chords. It's not very interesting, but he points out that the effects are adding some notes that he's not playing. Then he turns the effects off and shows how boring the riff really is, demonstrating that the idea is dependent on effects rather than substance.

Then in the big soundstage, he's got his roadie in there setting up all his effects, and he can't remember how to get the 'Pride' sound. The roadie reminds him, and he fumbles around and finally finds it.

The whole thing strikes me as pathetic: his ideas are dependent on effects rather than substance, and he's dependent on someone else to dial them in for him because he can't remember how to operate his own equipment. Meanwhile, Jimmy's acoustic playing--with no effects-- on the first deleted scene is a hundred times more musical than anything Edge did in the whole movie.

Two things stand out about the Edge in this movie to me (other than that stupid hat and nickname): at one point he plays a riff that involves strumming two chords. It's not very interesting, but he points out that the effects are adding some notes that he's not playing. Then he turns the effects off and shows how boring the riff really is, demonstrating that the idea is dependent on effects rather than substance.

Then in the big soundstage, he's got his roadie in there setting up all his effects, and he can't remember how to get the 'Pride' sound. The roadie reminds him, and he fumbles around and finally finds it.

The whole thing strikes me as pathetic: his ideas are dependent on effects rather than substance, and he's dependent on someone else to dial them in for him because he can't remember how to operate his own equipment. Meanwhile, Jimmy's acoustic playing--with no effects-- on the first deleted scene is a hundred times more musical than anything Edge did in the whole movie.

Agreed. Jimmy Page is the real deal, he makes that very obvious in this movie.

Unfortunately, next to Page the Edge looks like a robotic ninny, too bad for him.

That 12 string acoustic piece Page played says it all, just beautiful, my favorite part of the movie.

It is a stark clash in styles for the three of them to be working together, maybe that's what the film was supposed to reflect. I do like some of U2's song's and they are a "song" oriented band, not the flashy rock and roll of Jimmy Page at all.

What I've seen of Jack White is from The White Stripe's, witch was un-usual, in a word or two, not really my cup of tea when you get right down to it. U2 and The White Stripe's where sort of the same type of band with there repetitive sound but, I think U2 was the better of the two by putting some soul/feeling in the lyrical content of there song's.

Just bought the It might get loud dvd and for anyone who usually skips the deleted scenes on dvd's don't do it this time. The scene of jimmy showing edge and jack the way to play Kashmir is priceless. Also jimmy showing them how the Theremin that was used in whole lotta love is intresting as well. Plus jimmys trip back to Headley the house where they recorded is very good as well. The press conference scene is intresting as well with the last reporter asking jimmy about a led zep reunion. This dvd is worth buying and keeping trust me.

Never realised the press conference scene...when does it happen?

By the way, has anyone found any eastereggs?

Never realised the press conference scene...when does it happen?

By the way, has anyone found any eastereggs?

The last reporter I believe asks him. It's at the very end of the press conference. I was wondering sbout easter eggs myself that would be intresting if any body finds some.

Saw the movie when it opened in the theater (although it only lasted 2 weeks here), and have the BR disc and the iTunes Extra download as well...

The Ramble On and Theramin sequences are worth the price of admission alone. Also love the Edge and jack White - thought they complemented 'Our Maestro' well, insofar as unique guitarists for their respective generations. But Pagey could have done it alone. I do understand though that Producer Thomas Tull wanted to expand the demographics of his audience.

I think Edge has been unfairly dismissed by some.

Is he on a technical proficiency level with Page/White ? No.

Is he responsible for melodies, songs, sounds and influences all over today's airwaves and amongst young bands ? Yes.

The guy is like the mad genius who forgets which street he lives on, he's a total scatterbrain. One time in the early days he sent a roadie out out to buy a copy of the War album because he forgot how to play Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Just watching the Oscars recently, it struck me Edge is the big CGI/special effects guy, White is the down home gritty independent filmmaker, Page is Scorsese or Coppola.

All have merit.

I think Edge has been unfairly dismissed by some.

Is he on a technical proficiency level with Page/White ? No.

Is he responsible for melodies, songs, sounds and influences all over today's airwaves and amongst young bands ? Yes.

The guy is like the mad genius who forgets which street he lives on, he's a total scatterbrain. One time in the early days he sent a roadie out out to by a copy of the War album because he forgot how to play Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Just watching the Oscars recently, it struck me Edge is the big CGI/special effects guy, White is the down home gritty independent filmmaker, Page is Scorsese or Coppola.

All have merit.

:goodpost:

But he 'conjured' the sound, knew what it sounded like in his head, and programmed his electronics to produce it after the necessary output from his guitar. Point is he still created it. And the end (brilliant sound/music/songs) definitely justify the means...

My Led Zeppelin II cents...

And make no mistake... he can play the guitar.

I'm not aware of any brilliant songs by U2! I realize that he's a major influence, but not in a good way I don't think. I really don't care for the drenched-in-echo sound he seems to rely on. When Joshua Tree came out, I hated it and haven't changed my mind since I first heard it. Bono's whiny voice (it sounds like he's crying in falsetto) is part of the problem, too. I really don't like anything they've recorded with the exception of Sunday, Bloody Sunday.

Music is so subjective, it's about emotions and how it makes you feel, and we're all different in those regards.

Personally, in the 'brilliant' category I'd put :

Where the Streets have no name

Bad

A Sort of Homecoming

Heartland

All I want is you

One Tree hill

Running to Stand still

Please

Until the End of the World

One

With or Without you

Those are brilliant, to ME.

I'm sure we all feel differently about which songs are anyone's best, even within the Zep camp.

I see a lot of love for TCV and Pounding Sand, personally I'm not thrilled with either, esp. 'sand'.

Archived