Jimi Hendrix, 'Valleys of Neptune'

The Pagemeister

jimi-hendrix-200-011509.jpg

Though there have been many posthumous releases from Jimi Hendrix's archives since his tragic death, the recently-announced 'Valleys of Neptune' isn't meant to be a "lost" album.

Rather, it's a look at the creative period in Hendrix's life between the 1968 release of 'Electric Ladyland' and his legendary appearance at Woodstock the following summer.

Spinner's exclusive premiere of the title track

Thanks for posting this. I pre-ordered the CD, which comes out in March. Looking forward to this. I have bought several of the Dagger Releases from his site and all are awesome. Jimi was the man!!!

EDIT: Having listened to Valleys Of Neptune several times all I can say is this is classic Hendrix. I really love all of his music but I just dig his sound on later era stuff. This song is really great and has me looking even more forward to the CD!

• 4 weeks later...

I won't buy this album since I think Experience Hendrix are just a corporate machine exploiting his music instead of honoring it. When he was working on First Rays of the New Rising Sun in 1970, nobody knew exactly which tracks he wanted on the album until they found his hand written track listing in 1994 for sides A, B, and C. when his relatives took over in '96, they had a great opportunity to put out the lost Hendrix album the way HE wanted it. Instead they chose to ignore his song list and did their own for "First Rays" in '97. This makes absolutely no sense since this would have been a legit Hendrix album, and side D is pretty obvious: In from the Storm, the title track, probably valleys of neptune and Izabella, the guess is only a few songs.

The other thing they could do (but won't) is put out a 4th Experience album. A number of tracks were completed at TTG studios in late '68 plus some songs were left off of Electric Ladyland...that could be done with one of his album title ideas he had in '69-'70: The End of the Beginning, People Hell and Angels, Shine On and Gypsy Sun. Also, Band of Gypsys recorded about 30 tracks. Why not a Gypsys studio album called Gypsy Sun, as long as Billy cox is okay with it?

The other thing that is not cool is the fact that they've been sitting on the Miami pop video which was missing for over 30 years...instead of announcing that they found it several years ago. This is a big find, there aren't many videos of him from '68!

So unfortunately these people think their ideas are better than Jimis, the fans don't matter and I know for a fact the musicians were not getting any royalties...unless somethings changed recently. They need to be reminded that if not for the fans and the musicians, they wouldn't have a job. Valleys of Neptune?

^ I don't think that anybody knows exactly what Jimi had in mind, but since he's gone these people are just putting out music he had done prior to his death and that hasn't been released until now and IMO that's not a bad thing. You can't go now and ask Jimi how he wanted it to be. You just take what you got. Those people are indeed looking after their interest as well, but for Jimi fans, any new release is like gold.

While I think Valley of Neptune sounds great, I don't think it should be released with the impression of being an unknown Hendrix song. He recorded it twice, one version with him and drums. The second time with guitar, vocal and bass. It has been put together by Eddie Kramer (I believe). Both demos have circulated before, so it's hardly unknown or a "new" Hendrix song. A lot of this track they are releasing is Eddie's work.. No one knows what ideas Hendrix had for the finished result.

^ I don't think that anybody knows exactly what Jimi had in mind, but since he's gone these people are just putting out music he had done prior to his death and that hasn't been released until now and IMO that's not a bad thing. You can't go now and ask Jimi how he wanted it to be. You just take what you got. Those people are indeed looking after their interest as well, but for Jimi fans, any new release is like gold.

You apparently didn't read my post. They have his own hand written track list for First Rays...what do you not get about that? If they use his album titles, and put out studio albums w/ songs that are completed then you would have something closer to what he wanted, instead of a bunch of songs thrown on a disc, some finished some not, with no cohesiveness. The people behind these releases are not qualified for the job.

While I think Valley of Neptune sounds great, I don't think it should be released with the impression of being an unknown Hendrix song. He recorded it twice, one version with him and drums. The second time with guitar, vocal and bass. It has been put together by Eddie Kramer (I believe). Both demos have circulated before, so it's hardly unknown or a "new" Hendrix song. A lot of this track they are releasing is Eddie's work.. No one knows what ideas Hendrix had for the finished result.

Howdy Swede... You are somewhat off here. Eddie Kramer is not to blame for his participation in posthumous Hendrix releases - the people actually responsible for tampering with left over Hendrix studio material are Mike Jeffery, and especially Alan Douglas in his capacity as producer. Kramer did collect the songs for Cry of Love after Jimi's death (a wonderful album), and later collaborated on the First Rays release.

Valleys of Neptune was actually released in America in 1990 as part of the 4CD set, Lifelines: The Jimi Hendrix Story (released on Reprise). You can still see the info on it on Tower Records website: LINK The fourth CD is a live recording, from a gig at the L.A. Forum, June 26, 1969.

You apparently didn't read my post. They have his own hand written track list for First Rays...what do you not get about that? If they use his album titles, and put out studio albums w/ songs that are completed then you would have something closer to what he wanted, instead of a bunch of songs thrown on a disc, some finished some not, with no cohesiveness. The people behind these releases are not qualified for the job.

What is it YOU don't get? Hendrix had several different plans along the way, and did not consider the versions of the songs we now have as final; the fact that we have an outline for three sides means, very, very obviously, that he did not have a finished plan for it. You can not read it as him having decided on three sides and not having decided on the fourth at all, because that makes no sense at all. It's simply a project that he didn't have a finished outline for when he died.

I'm also FED UP reading these slanders against Experience Hendrix and the Hendrix family. Yes, it is a commercial enterprise - but so is Polydor and every other label. Experience Hendrix have made no blunders that come even close to being comparable with the absolute nonsense that was going on with Polydor after his death - and this is coming from somebody who seemingly can't get over his attachment to some of the old Polydor releases! :lol: Experience Hendrix have made many wonderful releases over the years and have collaborated on some really great blues releases on DVD. Excellent work, for which I am grateful. The smear campaign against Experience Hendrix is likely to have originated with people close to Polydor and/or some bootleggers who try to make money from Hendrix's legacy in an illegitimate way and who probably don't much like the Dagger Records imprint. As a longtime Hendrix fan I can see no valid reason to participate in it.

So you just decided not to buy anymore CDs because of that...

Well, OK...

:blink:

Howdy Swede... You are somewhat off here. Eddie Kramer is not to blame for his participation in posthumous Hendrix releases - the people actually responsible for tampering with left over Hendrix studio material are Mike Jeffery, and especially Alan Douglas in his capacity as producer. Kramer did collect the songs for Cry of Love after Jimi's death (a wonderful album), and later collaborated on the First Rays release.

Valleys of Neptune was actually released in America in 1990 as part of the 4CD set, Lifelines: The Jimi Hendrix Story (released on Reprise). You can still see the info on it on Tower Records website: LINK The fourth CD is a live recording, from a gig at the L.A. Forum, June 26, 1969.

Thanks for pointing out my error. Anyways, I think they did a great work with this song. It sure sounds like a complete Hendrix song. However, I believe it should be clear that it took a lot of work to complete the song and if Hendrix would have been able to complete it himself, it might have sounded totally different.

Dagger records live releases I have no problem with. Noel Redding Experience Sessions was great. But South Saturn Delta, "First Rays" and slapped together studio stuff like that no. I also don't like the fact that the musicians who played on these recordings were not getting paid. If it were up to me, that would be the first thing to do. Common sense of ethics.

Archived