Hendrix vs Zeppelin

McSeven

Even though one is a solo artists. I thought it would be fun to compare and contrast the two.

I think they both had great songs. They both could stretch out. I think they all had songs that were on the same par.

Hendrix Voodoo Chile is the same weight as Zep's Whole Lotta Love.

Hendrix All along the Watchtower is to Zep's Stairway to Heaven.

Hendrix Machine Gun would be like Dazed and Confused/In my time of dying for sheer power.

More later.

Mc7

Even though one is a solo artists. I thought it would be fun to compare and contrast the two.

I think they both had great songs. They both could stretch out. I think they all had songs that were on the same par.

Hendrix Machine Gun would be like Dazed and Confused/In my time of dying for sheer power.

More later.

Mc7

All good songs.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band Of Gypsies were band scenarios, not really solo things.

AATW is a cover of a Bob Dylan song albeit a different arrangement and the only thing it has in common with STH is that it's in the key of A minor, good version though.

Incidently, Dylan did a version of IMTOD too.

I tend to make comparisons of the bands I've seen live because it's hard to go on bootlegs because of the lack of atmosphere and usually the ordinary production.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Jimi.

More later.

Mc7

Beware, my friend. Some people like, danelectro59, and others, will criticize you for even trying to make any kind of comparisons between the two (or any two bands) for that matter. I, personally do not have a problem with this type of question. I started a topic about "Aerosmith vs. Rush", (who would you choose) in the "Other Bands" section of this forum and got some good responses and replies. I also got a couple of replies that said this type of comparisons is pointless and unnecessary. Whether this type of question is in fact pointless and irrelevant, after all, it IS just a question.

As I am a huge fan of Jimi and having my life changed by hearing him, for the first time at 12 years of age, I can get into a debate on his music and what he meant to the world around him. The man was amazing, as a guitarist and also as a lyricist. He's one of the few whose records from the 1960's still sound fresh today, some 40 years on.

I am not knocking the original poster but I really don't understand why people debate this band vs. that band. Music isn't a competition... it's about emotion and expression of that emotion. Asking on a Led-Zeppelin board Jimi vs. Zep, I think it's safe to say that Zep is probably going to win. But then again, it really isn't fair or just to Jimi.

Think about this - Jimi's catalog of recorded music that everyone knows and has heard was achieved between 1967 and 1970. Four short years. Zeppelin was spread out over 12. As amazing as Jimi's musical legacy is it was all done in a four year period.

To make this a fair fight, compare Hendrix to Zeppelin's first four albums. What you would lose is significant; everything from The Song Remains, Rain Song, Over The Hills, No Quarter, Kashmir, In My Time, Ten Years Gone, Achilles, Trampled Underfoot, For Your Life, Nobody's Fault, In The Evening, Carouselambra and on and on.

The point being is that had Jimi lived another eight years what would his catalog be like? How much more impressive would it be?

Taking from the thread starter I would differ on what songs to compare to Zep. My list would look like this:

Are You Experienced? to Whole Lotta Love

Axis: Bold As Love to Stairway

Machine Gun to No Quarter

Again, although I don't necessarily understand the fascination with comparing bands, I do like to see people, especially young people, still getting into Jimi Hendrix. That his music still reaches millions of listeners every year, in 2010, is quite a statement. Such a shame that he was taken from us.

As I am a huge fan of Jimi and having my life changed by hearing him, for the first time at 12 years of age, I can get into a debate on his music and what he meant to the world around him. The man was amazing, as a guitarist and also as a lyricist. He's one of the few whose records from the 1960's still sound fresh today, some 40 years on.

I am not knocking the original poster but I really don't understand why people debate this band vs. that band. Music isn't a competition... it's about emotion and expression of that emotion. Asking on a Led-Zeppelin board Jimi vs. Zep, I think it's safe to say that Zep is probably going to win. But then again, it really isn't fair or just to Jimi.

Think about this - Jimi's catalog of recorded music that everyone knows and has heard was achieved between 1967 and 1970. Four short years. Zeppelin was spread out over 12. As amazing as Jimi's musical legacy is it was all done in a four year period.

To make this a fair fight, compare Hendrix to Zeppelin's first four albums. What you would lose is significant; everything from The Song Remains, Rain Song, Over The Hills, No Quarter, Kashmir, In My Time, Ten Years Gone, Achilles, Trampled Underfoot, For Your Life, Nobody's Fault, In The Evening, Carouselambra and on and on.

The point being is that had Jimi lived another eight years what would his catalog be like? How much more impressive would it be?

Taking from the thread starter I would differ on what songs to compare to Zep. My list would look like this:

Are You Experienced? to Whole Lotta Love

Axis: Bold As Love to Stairway

Machine Gun to No Quarter

Again, although I don't necessarily understand the fascination with comparing bands, I do like to see people, especially young people, still getting into Jimi Hendrix. That his music still reaches millions of listeners every year, in 2010, is quite a statement. Such a shame that he was taken from us.

Once again, Like I said one post earlier, be careful what you ask for, some people will take your simple question (post) and dissect it and turn it into what "they" think is correct and right. Not myself. Let me say this and this IS WHAT I HONESTELY BELIEVE IN MY OPINION, Jimi Hendrix died in 1970, that is a fact. Look it up. JIMMY PAGE IS STILL ALIVE TODAY SOME 40 YEARS LATER. How some of you can say that Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitar Player of all-time and NOT consider that the real "Guitar God" is James Patrick Page, who is still alive and is a "TRUE LIVING LEGEND" is beyond ME. How can someone who truly was amazing in their short "Prime" (about 3 - 4 years) considerably bypass a still "active" guitar player like Jimmy Page is still beyond me. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I LOVE THE MUSIC CREATED BY JIMI HENDRIX, BUT I THINK THAT THE MUSIC THAT WAS CREATED BY JIMMY PAGE AND LED ZEPPELIN WAS AND IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANY MUSIC CREATED BY ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED MUSIC.

If anyone disagrees or objects to my "Ramble On" I encourage the debate...

I love Hendrix but I really don't see the comparison to Zeppelin other than 2 great visionary guitarists were at the helm. It would be like comparing Led Zeppelin to Van Halen as well, there are some similarities but not many. The only album in the Led Zeppelin canon I think that might be comparable to Hendrix's output is LZ2 just for it's blues based looseness. A better comparison to Hendrix would be Cream as they had a similar band setup, both relied heavily on blues based material while combining that with psychedelia, Clapton & Hendrix both brought the use of wah-wah pedals to the public at the same exact time, they both had very jazz influenced drummers, & their careers lasted roughly the same amount of time. In that comparison I'd say Hendrix wins by a landslide even though I like Cream a lot as well. Hendrix was just far more innovative.

I think what this topic is about comparing and contrasting the two, not seeing which one is better, which is impossible to do anyway. Obviously Zepp is my favorite, but I can't say their better than Jimi Hendrix.

Jimi

-Low, soulful voice

-Solo and improvisation oriented guitar

-Acid/Blues/Mystic/Rock

Led Zeppelin

-Robert Plant-High, soulful, whailing(for lack of a better word) voice

-Riff/Improvisation oriented guitar

-Acid/Blues/Metal/Mystic/Acoustic/Rock

Once again, Like I said one post earlier, be careful what you ask for, some people will take your simple question (post) and dissect it and turn it into what "they" think is correct and right. Not myself. Let me say this and this IS WHAT I HONESTELY BELIEVE IN MY OPINION, Jimi Hendrix died in 1970, that is a fact. Look it up. JIMMY PAGE IS STILL ALIVE TODAY SOME 40 YEARS LATER. How some of you can say that Jimi Hendrix is the Greatest Guitar Player of all-time and NOT consider that the real "Guitar God" is James Patrick Page, who is still alive and is a "TRUE LIVING LEGEND" is beyond ME. How can someone who truly was amazing in their short "Prime" (about 3 - 4 years) considerably bypass a still "active" guitar player like Jimmy Page is still beyond me. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I LOVE THE MUSIC CREATED BY JIMI HENDRIX, BUT I THINK THAT THE MUSIC THAT WAS CREATED BY JIMMY PAGE AND LED ZEPPELIN WAS AND IS MORE POWERFUL THAN ANY MUSIC CREATED BY ANYONE IN THE HISTORY OF RECORDED MUSIC.

I don't believe I took the original post and dissected it into what I think is right, I merely made some valid points concerning how I feel about Jimi Hendrix. It's lovely that you feel that Page is the greatest ever, he's meant so much to me as well. I've had the privilege of meeting him on several occasions and he's always been kind and humble, a trait a lot of famous people could use more of.

But I remember the day I was 12 and heard Jimi for the first time. Everything stopped. I had feelings I had never experienced prior. I sat up all night pouring through his music and bought my first Hendrix album the following day. It was Band Of Gypsys. Little did I know that I was purchasing one of the greatest albums of all time with one of the most powerful songs ever written on it. {Machine Gun}

Within a week of hearing him I purchased my first guitar, and today, some 32 years later, I still play and am still moved by his music.

Again, it is about emotion and expression of that emotion. I can't help how Jimi made me feel and still does. It just is...

Beware, my friend. Some people like, danelectro59, and others, will criticize you for even trying to make any kind of comparisons between the two (or any two bands) for that matter. I, personally do not have a problem with this type of question. I started a topic about "Aerosmith vs. Rush", (who would you choose) in the "Other Bands" section of this forum and got some good responses and replies. I also got a couple of replies that said this type of comparisons is pointless and unnecessary. Whether this type of question is in fact pointless and irrelevant, after all, it IS just a question.

You are entitled to post anything within the guidelines you wish. I should be allowed to voice my opinion in return. Just the fact you use the term vs. implies that it's a competition which I think is not only pointless, but almost insulting to the artists.

Okay. I have the time to do my comparison of Hendrix and Zeppelin.

Vocals. Hendrix has a baritone soulful voice. Playful and he stays within his range. He can also make it sound high in a falsetto voice as well.

Robert Plant has a banshee like voice. Playful with soul. Robert is a little bit more bolder in his voice. Robert also likes to slip out of the chorus verse structure of his songs.

Guitar. Hendrix has dynamic riff quality to his songs. He has a his signature style. To me Hendrix likes to slip out of his riffs.

Jimmy Page has great range and likes to keep close to riffs. So his style is Riff solo Riff. I think that Jimmy assimilated a lot of styles to his playing. Both Hendrix and Page are on par with each other. Although I think that Hendrix could strectch his solos out a bit more than Page.

Bass. JPJones plays great funky base with soul. Billy Cox is great as well and seems to follow Hendrix well. He does not really go crazy. Mitch Mitchell is great and does not try to dominate.

Drums. Bonzo is a drum god and is more on the level of Hendrix on the drums. Billy Cox is great as well and he can really play well with Hendrix. Cox has great funky sensibilities to add to Jimi's Band of Gypsies. Noel Redding kept a beat and was basically like a Straight mans Keith Moon. Redding can play fast and keep the beat, but did not have the flavor of Bonzo and Cox.

Both band are even in my book. Zeppelin got to explore music longer than Hendrix.

I believe that both are influencial. I would say that Hendrix is more popular by half a notch than Zep world wide.

Mc7

Vocals. Hendrix has a baritone soulful voice. Playful and he stays within his range. He can also make it sound high in a falsetto voice as well.

Robert Plant has a banshee like voice. Playful with soul. Robert is a little bit more bolder in his voice. Robert also likes to slip out of the chorus verse structure of his songs.

Guitar. Hendrix has dynamic riff quality to his songs. He has a his signature style. To me Hendrix likes to slip out of his riffs.

Jimmy Page has great range and likes to keep close to riffs. So his style is Riff solo Riff. I think that Jimmy assimilated a lot of styles to his playing. Both Hendrix and Page are on par with each other. Although I think that Hendrix could strectch his solos out a bit more than Page.

Bass. JPJones plays great funky base with soul. Billy Cox is great as well and seems to follow Hendrix well. He does not really go crazy. Mitch Mitchell is great and does not try to dominate.

Drums. Bonzo is a drum god and is more on the level of Hendrix on the drums. Billy Cox is great as well and he can really play well with Hendrix. Cox has great funky sensibilities to add to Jimi's Band of Gypsies. Noel Redding kept a beat and was basically like a Straight mans Keith Moon. Redding can play fast and keep the beat, but did not have the flavor of Bonzo and Cox.

Both band are even in my book. Zeppelin got to explore music longer than Hendrix.

I believe that both are influencial. I would say that Hendrix is more popular by half a notch than Zep world wide.

Mc7

not to step on your post, but you have Mitchell and Redding switched.

btw, Noel and Jimi were often at odds and i've heard that Redding, a former guitarist himself, was at times critical of Hendrix' playing, if you can imagine that.

• 1 year later...

Seriously?

Page is better cause he lived longer?

The fact is page did very little in the extra years he was alive for. Their best music was at the same era.

HHHMMMMM, interesting post. Thanks for the insight.

It's a bit unfair comparing a band to a band leader.

Without the rest of Zep, Page would just have been a good guitarist. Would he ever have got it together to rock the world without those particular collaborators?

Comparing them as guitarists, Jimi wipes the floor with Page, IMO. But in terms of song construction, Page wins, hands down.

Major Major. Can you elaborate a little bit more on why you think Jimi is a better guitarist than Page. To me they are both on par.

McSeven, on 08 February 2010 - 03:33 AM, said:

Mc7

I really thought your comment had a nice deep comparison. Just a few things. Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell are switched. Buddy Miles was the drummer for Hendrix in the Band of Gypsies. Now when it comes down to bass, Jones, Redding, and Cox all had unbelievable range. They could each go off and do their own thing in there own unique fashion. However I would choose Jones in that scenario for his soul filled keyboards and synth alone. Now when it comes down to the drums, I am one of the biggest John Bonham fans (He's my number one for sure), but Mitch Mitchell will always be in my top five. However I just can't seem to compare them or any of my favourite drummers because of the different styles and their own original techniques. But when you said Mitchell kept a beat and was a straight mans Keith Moon, boy are you off. Mitchell was a mastermind behind the kit. He was exciting, his chops were amazing, and man could he play those drums. Just watch the Woodstock performance. Now back to the topic. All the musicians from Zeppelin, the Hendrix Experience, and the Band of Gypsies were incredible. I mean they had to be just because of the sheer talent of those they were playing with. I will always love both Jimi and Zeppelin equally. And the best part is, since they're both on my iPod, I never have to choose one or the other. Ramble on my friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Hendrix is known worldwide as a guitar player-and one of the greatest, or THE greatest. Same with the Beatles or the Stone's (that continuously get crowned as "greatest rock and rolll band") depending on what magazine, T'V show or internet site/blog you are reading. I tend to notice that alot of people who no NOTHING about music automatically think or say that Hendrix is the best. Why? Well, because it's been mentioned so many times, that it's just classified, stamped or common to hear it that way. Hendrix did things on guitar that nobody has done before or maybe even since as far as his onstage antics go. As a player, he used a ton of effects and pedals to alter his sound...very experimental. As far as comparing him to Zeppelin or Page for that matter, Page was much more versatile-even if you compare their recordings from the same era. Hendrix was pure rock/acid-blues. Page was that and more. He was playing alot of middle-eastern style chords and also folk based music. As far as solo's go. It's two completely different styles. IMO Hendrix was just as "sloppy" as Page was but Hendrix used alot of effects to cover that up, so you'd never tell if it was sloppy or not. It would sound more like a distortion of strange sounds than it would a wrong note or a sloppy run on the neck. I say "sloppy" only because crtics of Page continue to identify that trait with him. As for songs, Hendrix did not branch out and do ballads, folk or Arabic/middle eastern based tunes. Zeppelin did. As far as composing a song and arranging material to a structured piece of work, Zeppelin were the absolute masters of that, which is why their music will last infinity. Hendrix's legacy and guitar playing will as well, but I believe that his music is less noticed than the actual person himself to the average Joe. Hendrix is more noted for who he was, (the guy who played with his teeth and set his guitar on fire, etc.) Zeppelin are noticed for their songs/music. I recognize both artist for their contribuion to the rock and roll world, and I admire both, but not equally. Zeppelin had all the right numbers-the complete package-they played so many styles of music and did it well. their songs have deep meaning to me and will continue to. Hendrix doesn't affect me that way - but his legacy will live on forever.

P.S. This is based on a few facts along with my own opinion (best to state that-for possible reasons of backlash from negative demons of the site) :watchingyou:

Archived