Tyler's awkward Led Zep audition

Conneyfogle

Why not? It's no more incestous than all these other pairings. Krauss would just add to the "Deep Sabbath Rainbow Aero Zeppelin Company". May as well keep it in the family like a bunch hillbilly kissin' cousins at a white lightning barn dance. Nine months later the results may not be all that pretty.

Hilarious!

My room mates in college were huge Steven Tyler fans. We had life size posters of him (and Mick Jagger) plastered on our walls. It was embarassing when guy friends would visit our room and see their drool on the posters, lol. (I never found either one of them particularly attractive.)

Aerosmith played an outdoor concert in the spring of 1974 at Ohio State. I was still in high school then, but my husband attended that concert. He said it was great. That was before Dream On and Sweet Emotion were popular singles. No one had heard of them at this point. But they drew a large crowd.

Ohio State has free concerts every spring. The most recent ones have been hip-hop and rap groups. My sons did not attend as they don't care for this type of music. They said that you couldn't "pay" them to go to these "free" concerts, lol.

I wish I had seen them in the late 70's though. I've heard from more than a few people how there was nothing like it.

Yeah, 1st time i saw them, Tyler tripped over his mic stand and then puked all over the stage. 2nd time, 4 attempts to launch Back In The Saddle before giving up and doing Sweet Emotion instead. 3rd time i had horrible seats and couldn't follow the set list. The boy's were TOTALLY wasted, all of them, and the songs were clumsy as hell.

Ironically enough, it took me a 4th attempt in the mid to late 80's to finally see a great Aerosmith show after all but giving up on them. Have not seen them since but the sober version i saw beat any 70's shows that disappointed me to no end.

It would be interesting to see if Page gives Myles Kennedy a shot on vocals for any new material he plans to do this year, given the warm reception Kennedy seems to have gotten from the initial 2008 rehearsals.

From the new Mojo interview, I got a feeling that it was less than a "warm reception"...

Why not? It's no more incestous than all these other pairings. Krauss would just add to the "Deep Sabbath Rainbow Aero Zeppelin Company". May as well keep it in the family like a bunch hillbilly kissin' cousins at a white lightning barn dance. Nine months later the results may not be all that pretty.

You are too funny! :lol:

teven tyler would do as good in led zep as percy would do in aerosmith!

in other words,both bands would stink with anybody but their original singer fronting their perspective bands.

why not replace rob halford with george michael or elton john?

STEVEN TYLER has confirmed he tried out as ROBERT PLANT's replacement in LED ZEPPELIN - and he'll never forget the experience.

Aerosmith bandmate Joe Perry recently revealed Tyler secretly auditioned for the supergroup - but rehearsals were "shambolic" because the singer wasn't familiar with Led Zep's catalogue and was under the impression the classic rockers were recording new material.

But Tyler insists the rehearsals were a great experience: "The kid in me was dying. I got to sing every song from Black Dog up and down and I'll never forget it as long as I live."

He tells VH1, "I don't think a band like theirs needs a singer like me. They already had the best; they were the best."

The members of Aerosmith need to move on without Tyler (perhaps with Myles Kennedy) and do completely new stuff (under another name) as now I'm hearing Tyler will sue if the others in Aerosmith go on without him.

Hope to hear some new stuff from JP this year, too. Whatever he decides to do.

R B)

This is a classic excerpt from the Lemonsqueezings blog, quoting a new addition to Wall's book about what happened after the O2. Can you imagine what Page and Jones must have been thinking when Tyler had the balls to float the idea of bringing in a "hitmaker" to write with them?!?

The vibe of the audition only worsened when the idea of new music was proposed, Wall reports. His book, the latest in a long list of Led Zeppelin biographies Page has denounced, says that when Page, Jones and Bonham played some of their new material to him, Tyler announced he wasn't into it. Playing the part of the pessimistic A&R man in Tom Petty's "Into the Great Wide Open," Tyler said he didn't hear a single.

Further, he suggested that Page and company would be better off commercially if he could introduce some material he'd been working on with his co-collaborator, Marti Frederiksen. Wall writes:

A well-known gun-for-hire musician, producer and songwriter whose prowess as a hitmaker for rock artists like Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Mötley Crüe, Ozzy Osbourne and others has made him a 21st-century music industry star, Frederiksen was not the kind of behind-the-scenes worker-bee likely to appeal to Jimmy Page. As a result, according to one insider who does not wish to be named here, "Jimmy never said a word when Tyler came out with this stuff, just told his staff to get him a plane ticket home. And that was the end of that."

Page Sends Tyler Home...

• 2 months later...

Archived