July 17, 1977 Seattle

zepps_apprentice

Seriously? I mean it has it's moments but it is really an average show at the best. There are much better shows from '77 (check out the LA run, MSG run, Landover, 30/5/77... the list goes on.)

Plant is in bad voice due to what sounds like a cold and Jimmy has a 'touch of sleeping sickness' *cough *cough smacked out. Just listen to how out of tune he is in the Over The Hills solo and how lost he seems to get. Still, he has his moments, especially in No Quarter and the Stairway solo has got to be one of the best he has ever played.

Bonzo is sometimes all over the place as well but is mostly ensong as per usual.

The only reason this show comes up a lot and is well known is because it is the only pro shot footage known to exist of the '77, and ain't that a shame. Still at least we get to see a '77 show in all of it's over the top glory.

I like this show, i have the full concert on my laptop.

Lots of people say that this show isn't good. But i disagree.

I myself do enjoy listening to the show, and I would have given my left nut to see it. But the fact of the matter is that Jimmy is woeful in parts (listen to SIBLY) and Robert's voice gives out during SIBLY and TYG.

I like the long guitar solos in this show. No Quarter and STH are insane.

Is it true that this show was going 4 hours?

Yeah these are the highlights of the show for me. The jazz improv in the acoustic set because of Jimmy's broken string is pretty cool for me.

Ummm it was pretty standard '77 fare, so would have gone for around 3 hours.

Sorry for the double post, computer playing up.

The merits of this show -or lack thereof- have be discussed beyond death and about seven different reincarnations for 33 years now, and undoubtedly the next 33 years... :P I don't think there's another Zeppelin concert that so divides fans like Seattle '77. And a lotta the hype regarding this show is as Tom said: it's the only pro-shot '77 footage we've got (even if said footage pales in comparison to some of the audience shot film floating around). Hell, my wife and I watched the video exactly once after we got it and the images of a smacked out, skeletal Jimmy Page should have been used in anti-drug adverts the world over. My missus, who is arguably a bigger Zeppelin fan than I am actually said, "Why are we watching this? It's almost fuckin' painful to look at Jimmy like that." So, once was enough for me as far as the pro-shot goes...now, my audience recording, on the other hand, well, I could play "No Quarter" to death. Love that version, as off his face as Jimmy was that night ("sleeping sickness" indeed...) The audience tapes of this show are revealing, because, as I've said before, no matter how much we can sit back and critique with the benefit of hindsight thirty odd years later, the Kingdome crowd, including my aunt and her hubby (who took me to see the Stones there in '81) ate it up. I reckon had I have been older than nine at the time they probably would have dragged me along- pretty damned close to a religious experience for this agnostic...

Much like with the following show in Tempe, IMO Plant seems to come off worse than Page...listening to our boy squeak his way through the first verse of "No Quarter" and completely lose it during "Ten Years Gone" :o ...mind you, that solo of Page's in "Over The Hills" is pretty iffy...oh, to have been a fly on the wall back at the Edgewater after the show..."That was a good show tonight, chaps"...or was it????

Again...they should have played Seattle on June 17...would have been a whole different show, methinks.

zep would be flying high after those shows in msg. hopefully bonham didn't have food poisoning that day aha

the quality of the performance would have been on the MSG/LA level, I'm sure. Mind ya, Bonham was pretty good in Seattle; I remember watching him play and thinking he made it look so easy. :P I also remember Bonham giving Page a few "What the fuck?!" looks.And it turns out that was the last time Zeppelin played "Moby Dick", etc.

I was there. 18 hours in line. Crowd control with huge frickin' horses. I remember trying to sprint past the back end of one of those with a pipe in my shoe.

Highlights for me were No Quarter, Stairway and the segue between White Summer and Kashmir. And various Plantations. Will never forget it.

• 3 weeks later...

Louisville '77 Was Also Tremendous

:blink: Really? IMO Louisville -judging from the audience tapes that surfaced a couple of years back- sounds like one of the shakier '77 performances. Hell, even Jonesy fucks up a couple of times (i.e. "No Quarter" where after his piano solo he returns to the Rhodes forgetting Page still has a ten minute solo to play!). From what I understand the audience was rowdy as hell- Plant is constantly doing crowd control between songs, and apparently a bottle hit Page's guitar after "Ten Years Gone", almost prematurely ending the show! I get the idea the chaos in the crowd was distracting the band a bit, and unfortunately it shows in the playing. Coming two days after Atlanta, which is a fucking good show, Louisville seems a bit of a letdown. One of those gigs where they just wanted to play and get the hell outta Dodge as soon as possible...

i cant believe they didnt play Trampled Underfoot that night o.O

There is of course a fantastic story in "The Concert Files" regarding this. Apparently a couple of kids from Vancouver were at the Seattle show and were equally surprised TUF wasn't in the set...they mentioned this to a DJ who knew Zeppelin, as I recall, the DJ passed the word along and that's at least part of the reason TUF was performed at Knebworth. I believe Plant even mentions this stuff during the show...been a while since I listened to Knebworth.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there at the '77 Seattle Kingdome concert. It obviously wasn't their best show, maybe that's because I saw them in 72, 73, and 75 and they were brilliant. My only highpoint was standing close to the stage behind John Bonham during his drum solo and getting yelled at by their road manager Richard Cole. :D

I was there at the '77 Seattle Kingdome concert. It obviously wasn't their best show, maybe that's because I saw them in 72, 73, and 75 and they were brilliant. My only highpoint was standing close to the stage behind John Bonham during his drum solo and getting yelled at by their road manager Richard Cole. :D

^^^^ You're lucky that's ALL you got from Richard Cole.

Plant was also squeaking his way through the Kashmir vocals too.

I've had my fair share to say about this show, so I'll keep it short..

This show more than probably any other from 1977 is why I try not to overthink the tour. Some songs, actually, some spots in some songs are fucking awesome, but as a whole, the show is very bad. It's frustating to be reminded how particularly off they were in 1977 whereas the consistency they once showed, particularly 1970-71, was long gone by this point.

Ha! Wot a claim to fame.

Can you give us all the details (you remember!) about the other shows per-lease!?

Were they the Seattle gigs?

You lucky bugger!

I was there at the '77 Seattle Kingdome concert. It obviously wasn't their best show, maybe that's because I saw them in 72, 73, and 75 and they were brilliant. My only highpoint was standing close to the stage behind John Bonham during his drum solo and getting yelled at by their road manager Richard Cole. biggrin.gif

i am in complete envy :o

I have only just got this show on DVD (EVSD Year Of The Dragon 3-Disc), and havn't really listened to it that much, but i just watched No Quarter and that aint too bad, but SIBLY was a bit painful to listen to at points, and see Jimmy in such a state and of course Plant's voice also, it is a shame that they didn't pro-shoot on the earlier gigs, LA or something..

Archived