Mary J. Blige Covers 'Stairway to Heaven'

Conneyfogle

Mary J. Blige Covers Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven'

mary-bligebbx200010310.jpgMary J. Blige holed up in a studio in the Hollywood landmark Capitol Records building this past Tuesday (Feb. 2) and put her soulful twist on Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven.' She wasn't alone either. On hand, a super group of sorts, that included 'American Idol' judge Randy Jackson on bass, Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker, rock guitarists Steve Vai and newcomer Orianthi, that latter being the Australian-bred blonde and guitar sleuth selected for Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' tour. "I never worked with them," Blige admits to the BoomBox, in between flawless takes of singing 'Stairway' in the isolation booth. "I think I worked with Randy before."

The attention Blige received for her cover of U2's 'One,' which appeared on her 2005 album, 'The Breakthrough,' lead her to revisit the rock song again. Blige's take on the Zeppelin song -- a song that rock critics for years have pegged as one of the greatest rock songs of all time -- will appear as a bonus track on the international release of Blige's 'Stronger With Each Tear.'

"The one thing that I get out of the lyrics 'she is buying a stairway to heaven' is what so many of us have done and do, meaning we buy a bunch of material things to get peace," she says. "I was a kid when I first heard it. It made me feel weird, but it made me feel peaceful, and then when the rock 'n' roll part came in, it made me feel charged, but at the same time that peace didn't leave me. I was able to see into music, and fell into music, to the depths where other people can't feel it or see it, so that made me want to do it."

I wonder if she can hear Jimi, too???

(sounds like someone is full of themselves)

Why in the world would anyone want to cover this song???

It was done perfectly by the very ones that wrote it.

She knows (and/or her agent knows) that people will buy this version of the cd just for the song. Not me. I'm sure I'm not alone here.R:)

I was surprised to see that Mary J. Blige and so many others were working on this project. I believe Led Zeppelin touched a lot of people and this seems to be one of the times where music heals and "Stairway to Heaven" is one of those songs that just brings a bit of magic and hope to people.

I'm really curious to see how it turns out and what Mary brings to the song. Plus it introduces the song to a whole new generation of people.

I believe Led Zeppelin really did put their mark on the song and those are big shoes to fill but I'm happy that each generation gets the chance to try them on. A lot of people have covered the song (remember Dolly Parton?)

but I still think Robert Plant did it best haha

I'd love to hear Robert Plant breathe some life into it again...02 was too long ago ;)

and we really do need some laughter and hope

But I wouldn't judge until I hear it and I'm a Mary J. Blige fan and she's done a great job on the covers she has already got under her belt.

That half a brain comment gees :slapface:

Dolly Parton did do a good job with her cover a few years ago.

(in my opinion) Mary just screams and jumps around when she sings. I grew up with a friend who was in a group with MJB, so I know personally where she came from (she was in an r7b group with a childhood friend/classmate in SC/GA in 1989-91).

People can take my opinion for what it is. I'm not namecalling anyone on the forum personally, so please keep it respectful among forum members. Thanks.

R:)

I really do like her voice, I always have. She did a a beautiful live version of "Little Wing" with Eric Clapton (his Derek & Dominoes version) a few years ago, which he also did with Sheryl Crow too. What's unfortunate is that I'm sure she's going to do an over produced schlocky version of "STH". If she keeps it simple it could be nice but I don't see that happening.

Dolly Parton did do a good job with her cover a few years ago.

(in my opinion) Mary just screams and jumps around when she sings. I grew up with a friend who was in a group with MJB, so I know personally where she came from (she was in an r&b group with a childhood friend/classmate in SC/GA in 1989-91). She had a tough upbringing , but grew (as a person and an artist/singer) through all of the hard times and is stronger today for it.

People can take my opinion for what it is. I'm not namecalling anyone on the forum personally, so please keep it respectful among forum members. Thanks.

R:)

I don't understand it when people get bent out of shape because somebody's covering Zeppelin. I think it's great that someone who is not thought of as a "rocker" was moved enough by this song to want to cover it. And it should be an interesting listen...

I don't understand it when people get bent out of shape because somebody's covering Zeppelin. I think it's great that someone who is not thought of as a "rocker" was moved enough by this song to want to cover it. And it should be an interesting listen...

I think what happens is many fans have an ownership feeling when it comes to bands or songs...they don't want anyone else 'messing' up a good thing haha I think it goes along that line of when a band is underground and not known-- it's great to be the only one who knows them but then once they make it big many of those fans turn on the band.

I think there are many bands and songs that people feel are sacred and shouldn't be touched. I kind of got the feeling that perhaps even some of the former members of Led Zeppelin felt this way when it came to performing together or singing their own songs...sacred--don't touch or tarnish but I figure breathing new life into it makes it even more magical and honors the band,the song and the fans. I just hope it's respectful --which in the case of Mary J. Blige and the line up of other musicians...it should be but it is funny to see how many people already seem to know what it'll be like before it's even finish...everyone's a psychic ;)

I'm in agreement with you...I like for other musicians and performers to try songs on...people interpret music differently and bring their own style-- well sometimes other times they try to channel the original which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

If it doesn't work out then we have something to talk about and if it does-- well we still have something to talk about but I'm sure... like always it won't please everyone haha :P

I think what happens is many fans have an ownership feeling when it comes to bands or songs...they don't want anyone else 'messing' up a good thing haha I think it goes along that line of when a band is underground and not known-- it's great to be the only one who knows them but then once they make it big many of those fans turn on the band.

By the reaction of some people around here you'd think Mary J. Blige was recording it over the original master of STH and we'd never be able to listen to the Zeppelin version again!

By the reaction of some people around here you'd think Mary J. Blige was recording it over the original master of STH and we'd never be able to listen to the Zeppelin version again!

Oh it is so like that--you nailed it haha Which reminds me of the time I found a Led Zeppelin tape in my Dad's collection and thought how cool is that only to find out it had been taped over...the horror haha :blink:

I have ESPN. They are aren't they??? :D

Here's a friend actually covering it (well sort of). Some guy named Robert is singing with him & a few others.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=C2EzxBw0XMM

I got a little motion sickness watching it though. ;)

R B)

That was pretty good...when I was growing up the way a guy tried to impress a girl was by learning Stairway to Heaven lol

After hearing Steve Vai's take Shapes from Birdland Cd , It should be interesting to hear at least musically

He elaborated further on VH1 Radio Networks

We're doing it in D Minor which is up a major fourth, which is much higher," he said. "So it's breathing a completely different kind of an air than any version you've ever heard and that in itself just gives it a whole different quality because now it's like, it's sparkly. And what you can do up in that register, it just sounds like a whole different beast."

Source

ET in studio has some more onthis with footage

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/02/84045/index.html

Thanks for posting this :)

It's really nice to see how the song and Led Zeppelin touched all those people who are involved and from the energy they are giving off about the song...I'm really looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table.

from the clip--It looks like they are jamming on it which I think they most have really moved the song to a different level and vibe.

Can't knock them for having great taste when picking a Led Zeppelin song ;)

She's right it is a challenge but I think that's what drives many performers and musicians.

Led Zeppelin is obviously popular with fans, but Ive realized that they're extremely popular inside the music buisness.

I saw I Can Do Bad All By Myself a few weeks ago and was impressed with her talent, as I had not heard much of her stuff before. I look forward to hearing Starirway with a Mary J Blige twist.

Led Zeppelin is obviously popular with fans, but Ive realized that they're extremely popular inside the music buisness.

I saw I Can Do Bad All By Myself a few weeks ago and was impressed with her talent, as I had not heard much of her stuff before. I look forward to hearing Starirway with a Mary J Blige twist.

I kind of pondered how Kashmir would have been a good fit too.

That is really true about the respect Led Zeppelin and the former members get from the music world. I sometimes wonder if Led Zeppelin gets more of a nod than the Beatles or the Rolling Stones when it comes to inspiration and influence.

But Mary J. Blige and the others involved really did come from that time period where "Stairway to Heaven" would have left a mark

Archived