Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Conneyfogle

Mary J. Blige Covers 'Stairway to Heaven'

This is sad.

When i first heard about this on the radio it made me want to go desecrate a les paul and pray the god's of ludwig for forgiveness.

I don't know how someone's letting her get away with this nonsense. Not that i really care, cause i'd like to cover a Zep song one day...but in a fucking rock band. I just can't imagine what she's going to turn the song into. Well, i can and it dosn't seem to wanna fly. Zeppelin has to start touring...fuck man. Who gives a shit if the whole concert is done in a lower key.

This is sad.

When i first heard about this on the radio it made me want to go desecrate a les paul and pray the god's of ludwig for forgiveness.

I don't know how someone's letting her get away with this nonsense. Not that i really care, cause i'd like to cover a Zep song one day...but in a fucking rock band. I just can't imagine what she's going to turn the song into. Well, i can and it dosn't seem to wanna fly. Zeppelin has to start touring...fuck man. Who gives a shit if the whole concert is done in a lower key.

absolutely virulent and vile.

This is sad.

I don't think you have to be in a "rock" band to be able to cover a certain type of song. Plus when it comes to "Stairway to Heaven" it doesn't completely fit in to most categories. I've hear many covers of Led Zeppelin songs done by different types of artists and some surprising work while others didn't and I don't think it's about sounding like the song or artist that originally record the song but more about giving the song a new life and Led Zeppelin is all about bring old songs and lyrics new life...

The musicians involved on the project are all amazing in their own right so I'm really curious to see how it turns out.

I'm glad other artists pick up the songs and try them on...I saw a clip of Lady GaGa doing "Dyer Maker" and Pink doing a Led Zeppelin song and it was really good and Randy Jackson former member of Zebra also covered some Zep tunes and nailed them.

Big shoes to fill but still worth bringing the songs to new fans and into 2010...

Thanks Yupter for posting the clip...this is the first time I've gotten to hear a bit of it and it sounds like they put funk into it haha B)

I bet this is a first...most covers of the song seem to stay on the same vein of the original. I can't wait to hear it...I wonder if it'll have a gospel, bluesy, funky vibe. It sounds like it from the drum beat.

I still think it's interesting that the song is for the European fans--I didn't realize music was made separately...I think I missed something there.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1633563/20100309/blige_mary_j.jhtm

But after she had recorded "Stairway," Blige continued to get the Led out, covering another Zeppelin classic — the thunderous "Whole Lotta Love" — for the album too. And when MTV News caught up with her on the Essence Black Women in Hollywood red carpet, she told us all about channeling her inner Robert Plant for the tracks, a process that came much easier than you'd probably imagine.

"I did Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Whole Lotta Love' — it's crazy," she said. "I am a Led Zeppelin fan. I'm not going to say I've been to their concerts, but I've listened to their music since I was a child, and it's always moved me, especially 'Stairway to Heaven,' and 'Whole Lotta Love' is just fun."

:D Suddenly, I see her in another light...

Maybe I'll even begin to pay attention to her music...

The collaboration on U2's 'one' was atrocious.

She wailed hystrionically (is that even a word ?) all over it a la al-pacino-overacting 'soul' style.

Here's hoping for better. Show some restraint woman !

This is sad.

Awsome. Rock music should be covered by rock bands. Not someone who is so full of themselves she thinks shes Queen Theshit. And if she really was a huge fan of the song and loved it so much, she should know it word for word like we all do.

Awsome. Rock music should be covered by rock bands. Not someone who is so full of themselves she thinks shes Queen Theshit. And if she really was a huge fan of the song and loved it so much, she should know it word for word like we all do.

It's disappointing to read things like this from Led Zeppelin fans. It is a very narrow way of thinking since music is universal and there are no lines that pen point what type of music a musician, a band or artist should or can sing. Music is deeper than that and Led Zeppelin is a band that had broken so many of those types of beliefs.

Also, I don't believe knowing every song lyric or what album each song is on or when Jimmy did this or Robert said that proves that someone is a true fan...that's only useful in a game of Led Zeppelin trivia. A fan is someone who feels the music and understands the meaning and message and she's honoring a great band and in doing so opens the door for others to take a peek since we already know how amazing the gods of rock are.

Plus she was around when that song was played over and over on the radio--not many who grew up in the 70's could escape the power of "Stairway to Heaven" lol ;)

It's disappointing to read things like this from Led Zeppelin fans. It is a very narrow way of thinking since music is universal and there are no lines that pen point what type of music a musician, a band or artist should or can sing. Music is deeper than that and Led Zeppelin is a band that had broken so many of those types of beliefs.

Also, I don't believe knowing every song lyric or what album each song is on or when Jimmy did this or Robert said that proves that someone is a true fan...that's only useful in a game of Led Zeppelin trivia. A fan is someone who feels the music and understands the meaning and message and she's honoring a great band and in doing so opens the door for others to take a peek since we already know how amazing the gods of rock are.

Plus she was around when that song was played over and over on the radio--not many who grew up in the 70's could escape the power of "Stairway to Heaven" lol ;)

Agreed! Not to mention I think it's great when an artist doesn't limit themselves to one genre. They're interested in stepping outside the box so to speak.

Ugh! I hate it when people cover Stairway To Heaven.

Should never be covered, it's too legendary.

Thank you MJC455 for posting the songs.

I've been really looking forward to seeing how the final project turned out and it's nice and not horrid like some have said it would be...glad their predictions were wrong but like most things it's about personal taste

but Mary J. Blige did a really good job and put a nice warmth to "Stairway" and a funky vibe to Whole Lotta Love...I need to get my roller-skates out :D

I'd love to see Jimmy or Robert up there with her one day but you know wishes are like horses lol

Just in time for the May Queen ;)

Now I hope there is an official video to this because it'll rock!

wwl : not to good

sth : good tone, major continuity problems, like it was pieced together, could have been great with all those instruments, she sounded pretty fucking good, I just really dont dig that producer dude from rca Ron Fair, they called him the wiz kid back in the day but I always called him cheeze wiz, totally cheezy, that guy makes too much money, total misunderstanding of dynamics, the musicians were great but he managed to fuck up the vibe with stupid tempo changes.

ha ha the world didn't end

I didn'n like it. And not because prejudices or too much loyalty to Zep ... I really expected it with an open heart and ear. But there was nothing majestuos in this version...

And the guitar solo ... bleah

sth : good tone, major continuity problems, like it was pieced together, could have been great with all those instruments, ..., total misunderstanding of dynamics, the musicians were great but he managed to mess up the vibe with the tempo changes."

ha ha the world didn't end

sounded like it was about to :unsure:

Simply put, she oversang and her phrasing in some places just didn't work.

The original was so tastefully done (this just seemed contrived).

Great musicianship (with Vai, Orianthi, Randy Jackson, Barker and keyboard player), but it just didn't work.

R B)

Edited by reids