Mary J. Blige Covers 'Stairway to Heaven'

Conneyfogle

So, i was intrigued to hear this. Vocally I think she does a fine job. The biggest disappointment for me is the appaling job done by Steve Vai! As a guitarist i guess he'd have been licking his lips over this one but it sounds like awful 80's hair metal. Also the drums are sooooooooo weak.

Not much to say about it, it is what it is. Looks like MJB had fun doing it.

It may be my ignorance in music production, but why two guitarists? Wasn't Orianthi's presence a tad redundant, couldn't they have just done some overdubbing of Vai if need be?

I think you are right

Timing lol

but then I also wondered if it was to test the waters or the label figured American fans might not be into it

What's interesting is when it first got mention it was along with the "We are the world" remake so I figured the "Stairway to Heaven" cover was for a charity.

They will probably sell it two or three times over (with re-re-released special " We are the World" super duper double secret probation edition like Disney does each time they "vault" their stuff)...

R B)

They will probably sell it two or three times over (with re-re-released special " We are the World" super duper double secret probation edition like Disney does each time they "vault" their stuff)...

R B)

Haha they need you for marketing lol

I did find out that Mary J. Blige help founded the Foundation For the Advancement of Women Now (FFAWN)

I read that Bono was the one who suggested the Led zeppelin songs.I've noticed that many have said when it comes to the drums and guitars it could have been stronger and I figured that the two guitarists were added because of who they are and who is popular right now.

I'm glad the wind changed in here... Mary J. Blige might find herself here one day ;)

Blige said she wanted to remake a Zeppelin classic as a bonus for her overseas release. "Ron Fair and myself and my label all were brainstorming about what is the next big rock 'n' roll record that Mary can take on for the U.K.," Blige said in a behind-the-scenes video about the song. "I remember doing 'One' for the Breakthrough album and everyone really receiving it and loving it."

Fair believes U2 lead singer Bono originally suggested the idea. "Mary J. Blige has a lot of great friendships with musicians around the world, one of which is Bono," Fair said. "They were all hanging out and the subject of Led Zeppelin came up. And I think Bono's the one who threw the gauntlet down and said, 'You've got to do 'Stairway To Heaven.'

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/253526/mary-j-blige-says-u2-cover-inspired-led-zeppelin-remake/

Mary's website

http://www.mjblige.com/

I think she does a good job basically. I prefer the WLL to STH, as I don't like the guitar sound on STH, too chimey and whatever. But kudos to MJB for going out on a limb on STH. WLL feels like a nice little dance number. My only complaint really is the predictability of the songs covered. Why cover only the biggest songs? I'd like to hear what she could do with Custard Pie and For Your Life. I think some of the more obscure Zep numbers could lend themselves to some serious interpretation. Also Trampled Underfoot I think she'd be able to funk out like mad on.

as far as who gets to cover Zeppelin....it's just music folks. Anybody has the right to do whatever they want to do with the songs as long a royalties are paid. The more people explore and get creative with the Zeppelin catalog, the better for Zeppelin and music. Not everything has to be liked or be good, but holding Zeppelin music to some sort of false level of sanctity only serves to make it less accessible. Have at it I say, Zeppelin is big enough to take whatever ruinous versions come out of it. And the inspired, good, creative stuff will lead new fans to seek out the original stuff, much like listening to Led Zeppelin has led me to seek out Bert Jansch and the blues cats Zep covered.

Thank You MJB for doing such a great job covering what I believe to be the greatest song of alltime.

She sings it with true passion. It almost seems as if she's not covering it but reliving it. I know everytime I sing the song i get swept away in emotions.

Whether she's black or white, doesnt make a difference. She did a great job.

I like Dolly Parton's version also.

For the record, I do not like most covers of this song.

It's been really nice to read some of the recent posts :)

So far from checking out other forums it seems many people feel that the original still holds strong but that Mary J. Blige and the other musicians paid tribute to the song in a good way.

I got to watch the yahoo making of "Stairway to Heaven" clip and it was great to see how it all came together and what vision the artists had.

I think with all the recent press about the song I'm hoping we'll get some feedback from the former members of Led Zeppelin haha It's always nice to hear what the original artists think

Hopefully they are kinder and gentler when they give their thoughts ;)

Looks like Steve Vai will also be on American Idol Wednesday night :D

I think the set up of this song begs for it to be played live...

Steve Vai will be part of Mary J. Blige And The All-Stars this Wednesday night on "Idol Gives Back"! They will be performing "Stairway To Heaven!" The excitement begins at 8:00 PM/7:00 PM central on Fox!

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1340510445995#!/stevevai?ref=ts

Does anyone remember laughter?

STH on American Idol is one of the most revolting ideas ever. American Idol is the complete opposite of everything Led Zeppelin represents. Thanks Mary. Not only do you do a hideous cover of this classic song, you now are going to drag it through the mud. Great news. :angry:

STH on American Idol is one of the most revolting ideas ever. American Idol is the complete opposite of everything Led Zeppelin represents. Thanks Mary. Not only do you do a hideous cover of this classic song, you now are going to drag it through the mud. Great news. :angry:

Actually it's for a special called Idol Gives Back

It's money raised and donated to charities...sounds to me like something the former members would care about :slapface:

Idol Gives Back, the historic Emmy Award-winning television event and music celebration has raised more than $140 million to benefit charities around the world and across the United States. The two-hour fundraising event will return to FOX on Wednesday, April 21 at 8/7c. Beneficiaries for this year's event include Children's Health Fund, Feeding America, Malaria No More, Save the Children's U.S. Programs and the United Nations Foundation. Click here to learn more about each charity. This year's special will feature performances and appearances by some of Hollywood's biggest stars as well as a few surprises. In previous years, Idol Gives Back has welcomed President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, former President George W. Bush, Brad Pitt, Bono, Reese Witherspoon, Miley Cyrus, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Annie Lennox, Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, Mariah Carey, Gwen Stefani, Josh Groban, Pink, Celine Dion, Robin Williams, Ben Stiller and others.

http://www.americanidol.com/idolgivesback/

Just breathe...it's all right

So anytime somebody needs you, don't let them down, although it grieves you,

Some day you'll need someone like they do, looking for what you knew.

Mmm, I'm telling you now, The greatest thing you ever can do now,

Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now, It's very easy just...

I believe Jeff Beck - yes, that Jeff Beck! - is going to be on the "Idol Gives Back" program tonight. I don't know if he's performing with someone, as he did with Kelly Clarkson a couple years back, or if he's on his own, doing his Beck thang.

Woah - I just noticed in a previous post upstream that funkmaster Gordon Brown has been on "Idol Gives Back" as well! Sorry I missed that. What did he sing, I wonder? I could see him doing a throw-down version of "Proud Mary".

I believe Jeff Beck - yes, that Jeff Beck! - is going to be on the "Idol Gives Back" program tonight. I don't know if he's performing with someone, as he did with Kelly Clarkson a couple years back, or if he's on his own, doing his Beck thang.

Joss Stone w/ Jeff Beck on Idol Gives Back (Wednesday night's 2 hour special).

R B)

Doesn't change my feelings and stop acting like you know how "the members" feel. You don't know squat Memphis.

Mmmm :rolleyes:

Not meant to change your feelings--you have made your "Opinions" quite clear...

Merely clarifying the reasons Mary J. Blige and the other performers will be on the show and why "Stairway to Heaven" will be performed since you found the idea "revolting"

but then you made the statement that American Idol went against everything Led Zeppelin represented...that's your opinion right?

The former members of Led Zeppelin have been involved and are still involved in many charities and foundations... that's been noted--while the charities may not be the same...the night and song fit in the spirit of that vibe and I stated that.

You have such an interesting way of responding-- kind of abrasive but I guess to the point but seems a bit personal since you don't know me

I'm happy with my open-minded views ;)

Guess you won't be watching then lol

notes on my not so humble opinion of new version of STH.

The string section and horns sound like a cheezy synth, I couldn't believe they had the whole "renaisannce" string section. To many strings, totally over produced.

This whole thing is just to stroke the ego of Ron Fair (producer)

MJB said that she and Ron Fair came up with the idea.

everyone els was saying how it takes a great man to concieve and pull the whole thing off.

Its not that complicated an arraingment.

Wow so Ron Fair can hire a string section and call in famouse people to play.

MJB sounds very good ,however, her vocals run into the flute parts at the wrong times creating bad melody builds that are wrong and have nothing to do with the song and only serve to take away.

Bad interpretation of melody.

emotional factor of music not understood, Mary does pretty good, but the music is just way to far over the top and stupid.

Ron Fair is "producing a stairway to heaven" you cant just buy the best musicians and thro them in the studio.

this whole thing is just a bunch of bullshit hype.

Ron fair couldn't capture any vibe at all.

It should have been just a piano player, MJB, maybe a solo with some drums.

If they had just done the composition the right way he wouldn't need all those people and studios.

Its a simple thing really if the music is understood at all.

throwing expensive shit at the fan to see what sticks.

end of Ron Fair totally lame producer rant.

I said it once and I will say it again. If anybody should be upset or mad about this whole "Mary J. Blige singing/re-doing STH" ordeal, it should be Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones. :wall:

Haha and you have a very good point

I guess it's that thought many fans have... that music is created for the world and more so if we're paying for it

Now I really look forward to hearing from them ;)

How is that, exactly?

Well, first, Led Zeppelin was a band. Second, they felt so strongly about their band that when John Bonham died, the remaining members of the band chose to retire Led Zeppelin because they could not and would not go on without their friend and one of the most memorable drummers in all of rock history. I only wish that The Who originated this when Keith Moon died (but that's a story for another day)...

They issued a press statement on 4 December 1980 confirming that the band would not continue without Bonham. "We wish it to be known that the loss of our dear friend, and the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were."

Source: Wikipedia's Led Zeppelin entry

American Idol, on the other hand, is a dumbass show for dumbasses. Do you seriously think that any of those contestants wouldn't throw their grandmother overboard for a chance to be a "star", to be "hot?" They might as well call it "Losers get a Carnival Cruise contract." Besides, they spend the entire season allowing the idiot nation to pick the winner when, up until this season, they had only one guy (Simon) qualified to assess a singer's talent and their potential future success, i.e., their ability to make money for the record company.

If you are completely blind to the distinction between a real rock band and American Idol, what are you doing in this forum? Here's the link to the American Idol forum, perhaps you'd feel more at home there...

Best wishes, your pal,

LPDlx1970

You're no pal of mine, and on top of that, you're an idiot.

Have a nice day.

I needed this so badly today...I think I snorted when I laughed.

I'm always open to listening and trying to understand another person's view but when they put others down it makes the point just not worth listening to

I think my new rule to live by is

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Abraham Lincoln

Tonight is the night to see if Mary J. Blige's American Idol performance of

'Stairway to Heaven' is

the beginning of the Apocalypse or the start of Armageddon

;)

I have a feeling it will be an inspirational night since tonight's show is about giving back and helping our fellow men and women...

I needed this so badly today...I think I snorted when I laughed.

I'm always open to listening and trying to understand another person's view but when they put others down it makes the point just not worth listening to

I think my new rule to live by is

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Abraham Lincoln

Tonight is the night to see if Mary J. Blige's American Idol performance of

'Stairway to Heaven' is

the beginning of the Apocalypse or the start of Armageddon

;)

I have a feeling it will be an inspirational night since tonight's show is about giving back and helping our fellow men and women...

I'll be watching it when the link is posted Memphis ;) . Sending my best to you xx

Doesn't change my feelings and stop acting like you know how "the members" feel. You don't know squat Memphis.

You're so angry. And fearful. And it makes me wonder...

I hope MJB does an entire album of Led Zeppelin covers. All of Wolfman's favorites. Stairway, Kashmir, WLL, Black Dog, Achilles, Dazed and Confused. And I hope it's a huge hit and makes all the former members and their estates' tons of money. Wouldn't that be wonderful? And a portion of the proceeds going to Haiti Earthquake Relief efforts, too.

Love,

Billy

Archived