Mary J. Blige Covers 'Stairway to Heaven'

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow were all still here and the world hasn't ended...I got to check the performance out and it was good...I got the sense that it would have been even better if it wasn't cut short and they could all get into it. I really felt that at the end Mary got a chance to let go and that's always been one of my favorite parts of the song. My heart is always going to be with the original but I give Mary props for doing it her way.

*just wanted to add...My step mom who is a Mary J. Blige fan was watching with me and asked if Mary was trying to change her style and appeal to others-- similar to how Tina Turner had done. I pointed out that the song was a Led Zeppelin cover that appeared on the European version of her new cd and also told her the original singer was Robert Plant the same person I took her to see in Nashville lol

On a side note I got to see Jeff Beck and Joss Stone and kept thinking Jeff was holding back and poor Joss wanted some stage interaction lol

I couldn't find an official video of the Mary J. Blige and the All Star Band performance yet but just for now...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bO38-BwA07Y

Yo, yo, yo dog. It was a little pitchy for me.

I was a little surprised by the song choice, and there were a couple of rough spots for me, but overall I liked it.

I thought she made it her own. I liked the outfit. I liked the musicality.

I'm going to text my vote. I think she can stay, but the bass player has to go!!

LOL!!

I was a little surprised by the song choice, and there were a couple of rough spots for me, but overall I liked it.

I'm going to text my vote. I think she can stay, but the bass player has to go!!

LOL!!

:lol: Love it!!

not my cup of tea. Barker puts in way too many fills for my taste. The guitar work was nice, but i'm spoiled by Jimmy's special recipe for the song. And face it, this ain't

Mary J's thang, and it shows.

I have to agree.

I didn't hate, but I didn't love it. Then again, I wasn't overjoyed by LZ's own version of it on TSRTS.

I can appreciate her liking the song, and respect that she wanted to take a shot at it.

I gave it a couple of listens, and that's it for me. I'm going back to the original.

I have to agree.

I didn't hate, but I didn't love it. Then again, I wasn't overjoyed by LZ's own version of it on TSRTS.

I can appreciate her liking the song, and respect that she wanted to take a shot at it.

I gave it a couple of listens, and that's it for me. I'm going back to the original.

yea, i didn't hate it either. Kudos goes out to all for doing the song as it's for a good cause, but when you cover a masterpiece such as STH, be ready for comparisons to the original. Maybe that's why not many groups attempt songs of this nature.

yea, i didn't hate it either. Kudos goes out to all for doing the song as it's for a good cause, but when you cover a masterpiece such as STH, be ready for comparisons to the original. Maybe that's why not many groups attempt songs of this nature.

True. A cover of signature song invites comparison.

I'm sure fans of Willie Dixon and Robert Johnson were doing the same thing when Led Zeppelin I & II came out.

You're no pal of mine, and on top of that, you're an idiot.

Have a nice day.

Knebby,

I want to apologize to you. My post was out of line. I was wound up about the Blige cover of STH and its association with American Idol and Oprah. I should have just written that and not made it personal because it wasn't personal. So, I'm sorry, won't happen again.

LPDlx1970

Appreciate that you took the time to say that ^. In the life of this forum many posts have been made in haste, in anger, under the influence - etc etc - we usually manage to move on. I'm happy to do that here. Sorry for the "idiot" bit ;)

^ That was the best and I always hope that my comments aren't taken personally and I have always enjoyed the family vibe that this board has at times. It shows we are more than the words we type.

Now back to that Mary J. Blige Cover...

LOL!!

You nailed it ;)

View Postdanelectro59, on 25 April 2010 - 05:47 PM, said:

not my cup of tea. Barker puts in way too many fills for my taste. The guitar work was nice, but i'm spoiled by Jimmy's special recipe for the song. And face it, this ain't

Mary J's thang, and it shows

I think it's a great move for Mary to step out of a comfort zone and try it and she's done it before with other songs. Mary J. Blige isn't a spring chicken but now with this song under her belt where does she go from here lol

• 2 weeks later...

It's not quite the right thread for it, but..

I'm dead curious how Bettye Lavette's version of All Of My Love sounds. Is anybody found it on YT or such?

It's not quite the right thread for it, but..

I'm dead curious how Bettye Lavette's version of All Of My Love sounds. Is anybody found it on YT or such?

Not sure if you knew this already but she's opening for Robert on his tour....

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/BETTYE-LAVETTE-Invited-Robert-Plant-Open-on-His-July-Tour-All-My-Love-Premieres-Exclusively-1154258.htm

You can download her version of AML for free here.....

http://www.spinner.com/2010/04/27/bettye-lavette-all-my-love-free-mp3-download/

Thanks a lot! Yes, I heard about that collaboration, that's why I snooped around. Unfortunately I can't download it (it's complicated - I have a very old system, with old OS, and restricted rights :P on demand). I'll be waiting for YouTube version :) Cheers!

Thanks a lot! Yes, I heard about that collaboration, that's why I snooped around. Unfortunately I can't download it (it's complicated - I have a very old system, with old OS, and restricted rights :P on demand). I'll be waiting for YouTube version :) Cheers!

:beer:

;) I managed to listen it on here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126831077

(Now, all the AOML's cavilers can see how important was that "cheezy synthesizer" :P )

I saw the AI performance and I thought the woman rocked. It surprised me she did as well with it as she did actually.

So, rock on Mary J. You pulled it off and I was very impressed. Try 'Highway Star' next :D

Regards;