Taylor Swift is "the voice of this generation"

Wolfman

She's HOT ... and she can act too.... Taylor Nailed her "Kate Gosselin" impersonation on the SNL "The View" skit!

Girl's Got Talent ! :you_rock:

Yeah that was cool...But the best part about that show was when they where doing the mock interview and the guy spit about a gallon of water on the other interviewer's face! :D

You know, I think she's a nice person and has pretty good ideas for songs considering her age/her target audience's age. But the fact is, if she can't sing, she can't sng. And she can't. I just don't understand why this dude is making excuses for her. I mean, I guess he can't publicly come out and say, "Yeah, you're right, she sucks," about his own artist, but I hope he doesn't believe his own BS, and that in reality he's secretly signing her up for all kinds of voice lessons. Seriously, despite all their finessing, she doesn't even sound that great on record, so it would be in hers and everybody's best interest if she could make her voice stronger. And I think stronger is the key word here because it's not even about hitting the right notes at this point - it's about getting her voice to the point where she can do something other than mumble into the microphone and get all breathy and even quieter when she has to hit a somewhat high note. It's amazing that she goes on tour so much and her voice isn't any stronger, but I suppose that's because she's in the habit of doing it wrong. Whatever. Just fix the problem, people.

Years ago I saw a documentary on the making of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. One scene showed Stevie in the studio laying down her vocal tracks. Since the track was isolated you could hear only Stevie's voice and quite frankly it sounded horrible. I'm a longtime fan but I learned then that they must have been employing some studio wizardry to clean up the sound of her voice.

I read this topic the other day and had to watch a live performance of hers just to see what you meant, and to be honest, your completely correct.

She just dresses her performance up with cheesey dancers in the hope it will hide her awful singing.

I remember when 'love story' came out - every 12 year old girl ran around going mental about how 'cool' taylor swift was. Drove me mental >_<.

Bring back proper music, is all i say.

Making fun of Taylor Swift is like shooting Bambi. I just don't have the heart to do it when there's so many others who are more deserving to be caught in my scope.

I sort of remember various post on this site where people defended artists that I could easily argue as being worse than Taylor Swift. The worst thing she's done so far is dabble in rap, and I see people defend rappers quite regularly. It's not hard for me to see through all the pop glitz that she is very talented. I just hope the focus gets down to her talent and not who she's dating or how many awards she wins, etc.

Years ago I saw a documentary on the making of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. One scene showed Stevie in the studio laying down her vocal tracks. Since the track was isolated you could hear only Stevie's voice and quite frankly it sounded horrible. I'm a longtime fan but I learned then that they must have been employing some studio wizardry to clean up the sound of her voice.

This the clip you were thinking of?

I'm used to hearing it like that and prefer her voice a little rawer. Personally, having heard her in concert (as well as the many I have on bootleg) I think her voice is flawless. She's had her moments, but none that were so drastic that they altered the way she sang from recording to finished product. If you listen to Angel, you'll hear her sing just as she was in that clip, only it doesn't sound as 'harsh', given that backing vocals and instruments drown it out, so to speak.

I've got that documentary on VHS, and it has some different type of copy guard so I can't transfer it to DVD, the picture starts to roll. Usually I can get around copy guards.

But your statement reminds me of what Pete Townshend said about The Beatles in THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT when he was talking about listening to them in stereo. He said; when you hear them with their instruments separated from their voices, you can here how lousy they really were.

I sort of remember various post on this site where people defended artists that I could easily argue as being worse than Taylor Swift. The worst thing she's done so far is dabble in rap, and I see people defend rappers quite regularly. It's not hard for me to see through all the pop glitz that she is very talented. I just hope the focus gets down to her talent and not who she's dating or how many awards she wins, etc.

I couldn't even name a song of her's. I can't say anything negative about her simply because she's a kid, to me she is anyway, and I'm not expecting any great musical statements from her in comparison to who I like musically. I've only seen her interviews & she comes across as a sweet down to earth person.

She writes her own songs

I agree with most of the people here who say she's not very talented, has the studio sing for her, and is garbage live, but hey,

sounds like she sums up the music of this decade perfectly! :lol:

Although, if she writes her songs, that makes me have a little more respect for her musically then.

I'm sure she's a nice person and all, I'm not going to argue with that.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/music/20100204/US.People.Taylor.Swift/

I've yet to hear this girl sound good live. Everytime she sings live, her voice sounds average at best. As a matter of fact, she sounded terrible a few times too. That's what crack me up about the producers who defend her. If she can't sing well live than don't try to fake us out that she can. TS is a cute girl who seems to have a good heart, but she obviously is not as talented as her tremendous sales numbers would indicate. If she's the voice of this generation than I really feel sorry for the kids of America. I guess she fits though. This Twilight/ Miley Cyrus-loving generation seem to have no clue what true talent is all about. Whatever they show on TV is what they believe in. Very sad. Rant over now.

Real vampires singers don't sparkle. I thought everybody knew that.

I don't mind Taylor Swift. I didn't see her on the Grammies, and haven't heard a whole lot of her singing, so I'm in no position to judge, but the stuff I have heard is okay... nothing stellar, but not unpleasant either. *shrugs*

I agree with most of the people here who say she's not very talented, has the studio sing for her, and is garbage live, but hey,

Most of my listening experience with her is seeing her sing live on TV, but I did see one of her videos where she's synced to the studio version of the song and it sounds pretty much the same to me.

One could argue that the studio sang for Robert Plant on occasion....example: "The Song Remains The Same".

Yes, but the whole reason of this post is that Swift is being touted as "the voice of this generation" while Percy was not. For all her Grammys, you would think the girl could sing well. Her live performances are not showing this at all. She's a fraud.

Yes, but the whole reason of this post is that Swift is being touted as "the voice of this generation" while Percy was not. For all her Grammys, you would think the girl could sing well. Her live performances are not showing this at all. She's a fraud.

I'm not sure if "fraud" is entirely accurate. It's not as though she was caught using AutoTune (pitch correction software) or lip synching. The music industry is full of "artists" that employ both on a regular basis. The reason it's so widespread is because it's come to be accepted as the norm.

Y'all seem to have forgotten that she writes most of her songs. Very few other current artists do that. And so what if her voice isn't as great as, say, Stevie Nicks, but so what? Bob Dylan has gotten away with a crappy voice for years! Give it a rest folks.

Big deal. If her songs are horrible, who cares if she wrote them? And don't preach to us what to do.

Archived