Steven Tyler was rejected from Led Zeppelin reunion

zeppphead

According to guitarist Joe Perry, Tyler was called in for the aborted Led Zep reunion attempted by Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham in 2008. Though Robert Plant refused to be involved, the remaining band-members spent several months under the illusion that they could replace him. Their talks with singer Myles Kennedy are well documented, but Perry claims Tyler also staggered into the Zeppelin practice room. "It's something I've never talked about before," Perry told The Pulse of Radio. "It's a kind of window into how hard it's been to keep the [Aerosmith] partnership together."

"Steven disappeared and I called around. Somebody said he was in London trying out for Led Zeppelin." The rehearsals, Perry said, were "shambolic" – and Tyler didn't even seem familiar with the Led Zeppelin catalogue. The ill-fated New Led Zep decided to pass. "Page felt really awkward about the audition, but ultimately it was a group decision."

With Tyler in rehab for an addiction to painkillers, Aerosmith may also pass on their long-time singer. Tyler has threatened to sue, but Perry maintains that Aersomith are considering replacements. "You've gotta think outside the box," he said. The band's new singer could even be a woman. "[There were female singers in] a lot of the bands I was in before [Aerosmith] ... It was really good – a lot of great songs. So that's definitely a possibility."

Perhaps Perry could put in a call to Mary J Blige. The R&B icon has recorded a new version of Stairway to Heaven with Blink-182 drummer Travis Barker, guitarist Steve Vai, American Idol judge Randy Jackson and former Michael Jackson side-woman Orianthi. "I've been a rock'n'roll fan for years," Blige told the LA Times. "Once you get lost in the rock'n'roll moment of [singing], all you can do is scream to the top of your lungs or go as low as you need to go. It's not a head thing – it's a spirit thing."

MORE FROM GUARDIAN

If Page and Jonesy really want to play out, I'm of the opinion that they get a new front man and go ahead and start a new band. Led Zep w/out Robert is no Zeppelin. God help us all if they go the Journey rout and find somebody on Youtube.

Amen to that!

Steven Tyler said Led Zeppelin was already the best

“The kid in me was dying. I got to sing every song from ‘Black Dog’ up and down and I’ll never forget it as long as I live. I don’t think a band like theirs needs a singer like me. They already had the best; they were the best.”

• 2 years later...

In this months Classic Rock Tyler said Page want him to a couple of gigs as Led Zeppelin with Steve Tyler,rather become a band member (a bit like Queen & Paul Rodgers),then Page said why don't we do an new album of new material,Tyler said he did want to become another Coverdale/Page situation and returned to Aerosmith.but they did rehearse for about a week doing various Zep numbers

Apperently he tapped up Sammy Hagar to do 2 gigs with Zep at Madison Square Gardens

Page, Jones, and Bonham should be out there with other singers. It would be cool if they brought in multiple singers who could each have a 3 or 5 gigs with the guys. They could do Celebration of Zeppelin music. If Robert wants to retire, let him enjoy his late night lullabies because his music of choice this last while is putting most of my friends to sleep…

In this months Classic Rock Tyler said Page want him to a couple of gigs as Led Zeppelin with Steve Tyler,rather become a band member (a bit like Queen & Paul Rodgers),then Page said why don't we do an new album of new material,Tyler said he did want to become another Coverdale/Page situation and returned to Aerosmith.but they did rehearse for about a week doing various Zep numbers

Apperently he tapped up Sammy Hagar to do 2 gigs with Zep at Madison Square Gardens

Since I haven't heard anything of this before......are there any reliable sources that do back this rumors up?

Page, Jones, and Bonham should be out there with other singers. It would be cool if they brought in multiple singers who could each have a 3 or 5 gigs with the guys. They could do Celebration of Zeppelin music. If Robert wants to retire, let him enjoy his late night lullabies because his music of choice this last while is putting most of my friends to sleep…

Says you.

God, Tyler is so NOT a fit to be singing Zep tunes.

He's good in his own right occasionally....

I agree....I have a show from 1990 where Jimmy joins in for most of it. Tyler trying to sing Immigrant Song was painful. :lol:

I would have preferred Chris Cornell myself. He can hit the notes.

I agree....I have a show from 1990 where Jimmy joins in for most of it. Tyler trying to sing Immigrant Song was painful. :lol:

I would have preferred Chris Cornell myself. He can hit the notes.

Now there's an awful good shot at a nice fit. Chris Cornell!! Not a Plant imitator, would have been able to be somewhat faithful to the songs, while bringing his own element as a little extra. Tyler (and I'm not a Tyler basher) would have brought his whole persona to the song, and a wee-teeny-tiny bit would have been towards trying to be faithful to the song.

xactly

and Tyler is batsh**t crazy... always felt it was partly a gambit to coax Plant into recording and traveling. Demand unprecedented...

Now there's an awful good shot at a nice fit. Chris Cornell!! Not a Plant imitator, would have been able to be somewhat faithful to the songs, while bringing his own element as a little extra. Tyler (and I'm not a Tyler basher) would have brought his whole persona to the song, and a wee-teeny-tiny bit would have been towards trying to be faithful to the song.

Whenever anyone mentions Led Zep reunions they mention Live 85 , Atlantic Records 88 & of course 02 2007 , but the 2005 rock 'n' roll hall of fame reunion was perfectly fine ,Their jam on "When the leavee breaks " with Neil young is excellently brutal ,they did a couple of tumes then with Steve Tyler

I realize that this will never happen, but I think that Chris Robinson (from the Black Crowes) would be a very decent fit with Jimmy, Jonesy and Jason. I saw Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes in Chicago in 2000 and it was an awesome show. Plus I have a two dvd's of JP with BC at the Roseland Ballroom, New York (10/13/1999) and at Jones Beach (7/10/2000) also in New York. Great shows and this is why I think that Chris Robinson would do the Lads (and Us, the fans) Justice. It seems that Chris Robinson knows most of, if not all, the lyrics to the songs that he sang with Jimmy Page and the Led Zeppelin songs he sang.

As much as I Love Steven Tyler, I can only really see him as the singer of Aerosmith. And as much as I Love Aerosmith, I cannot fathom anyone else as their singer other than Steven Tyler.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...