Favorite/Best version of Since I've Been Loving You

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard, Tokyo 23/09/71. Dramatic and powerful.

However, I will have to say that SIBLY is one of the few Zep songs that I never thought improved upon the studio version in the live setting. Most of their songs do, but the studio version of SIBLY is just so powerful, well-paced and dramatic, and Plant nails the vocals in a way he never really seemed to do so in any of the live versions I've heard.

4 hours ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

From what I've heard, Tokyo 23/09/71. Dramatic and powerful.

However, I will have to say that SIBLY is one of the few Zep songs that I never thought improved upon the studio version in the live setting. Most of their songs do, but the studio version of SIBLY is just so powerful, well-paced and dramatic, and Plant nails the vocals in a way he never really seemed to do so in any of the live versions I've heard.

I have to say, and it pains me to say it, that I sort of agree with you here.  I always really try to like it, and some shows I do, but others I just sort of zone out.  Surely being there in person would have been a different story...

8 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I have to say, and it pains me to say it, that I sort of agree with you here.  I always really try to like it, and some shows I do, but others I just sort of zone out.  Surely being there in person would have been a different story...

This is a live Zep tune I literally NEVER skip thru.  Love it. All of them... especially the '77 versions.  The 4/28/77 version, as Luis Rey puts it, is "drama and theatrics at its best". 7:22 to 7:40 is just fantastic.

I'll give two.

First is the BBC Sessions version. Plant is very understated, almost crooning the chorus. 

Second isn't a Zep version but the Page/Plant Unledded live. I think that is staggeringly good. Vocal from Plant is amazing and Page's solo and playing on it is perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the official DVD and during the credits bit for the MSG part, there has a snip that sounds absolutely fantastic.

I can't find a complete recording of this version. Does one exist?

According to The Garden Tape site

"Playing on the Madison Square Garden Menu on DVD Two is Since I've Been Loving You from the feature itself. This particular segment of the song is from 27th July 1973."

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2013 at 11:07 PM, nick2632 said:

Any 73' version is best with so much enthusiasm, but 80' versions are pretty good too! They mixed a little bit of the solo from Tea For One in it. I haven't yet given Zeppelin 77' the proper respect it deserves, but I'm sure it was great then too.

To me this is the best version if since I have been loving you . There were better solos and longer versions but plants voice is just amazing here and the way he changes the lyrics is awesome 

• 2 weeks later...

Hands down without going any further - Pure Blues Live boot - Plant is incredible. This version really made me realize how good he his as he rephrases portions of the verse intros. He also gives it a different key when the second - " to eleven every night " comes and and so forth during the song. Page is low in the mix but Percy and JB are up front. 

This is Plant reaching or near his peak. Powerful. Play it real loud !!!

• 1 month later...

...really one of my favorite songs found in the setlist from '70-'80. It's truly amazing how they approached the song so many different ways, yet always nailed it.

Now I know my former self would disagree, but I have been leaning towards '71 as the best performances of the song.. Now don't hold me on this because I have been really enjoying the long waited SIBLY from Seattle '75.

But as with Heartbreaker, I'll say Hampton, VA 1971-09-09 is absolutely great. Highly recommend this partial soundboard recording (GF: High Heeled Sneakers) has to be one of the best bootlegs, despite it ending early.. Is this release just a soundboard recording? Certainly one of the best quality soundboard recordings out there.. It's never 

On 2/7/2010 at 1:40 PM, Squeeze My Lemons said:

I don't think there is a better performance than from TSRTS album. It may even be the best performance of any song by them.

Over --all-- other versions of SIBLY, TSTRS is the one I enjoy listening to the most, because of the purity of the audio, and Jimmy's soloing.

That's what makes that version so heavenly and mesmerizing to me. The audience 'noise' on most boots distracts me.

The intro is stunning. I'm a Page fan first and foremost, so I can easily overlook this not being Robert's best ever live performance, with regard to vocal range, etc.. A good/very good overall performance, though, from my point of view. But as some have already stated, Robert never exceeded his vocal range on the studio performance of SIBLY in a live setting. I much prefer Jimmy's live performances to the studio one.

I am shocked that they wouldn't find a way to release the TSRTS as a three album set, to give their public this SIBLY on record. There had already been 3 and 4 disc live sets successfully released by other bands. So whomever nixed the 3 album set, you were wrong! But hey, it only took 30 years to correct the error...

Best performance of any song on record???

I'll have to go with the O2 "Kashmir". I know there's no Bonzo, but, it takes me back to the 1977 US Tour, where, imo, "Kashmir" was the show stopper, better than any other Zeppelin song I ever experienced in person.

Edited by The Rover

On 1/17/2018 at 11:01 PM, ZepHead315 said:

I just discovered one version that hasn't been brought up yet, but deserves to be mentioned: Milwaukee 8/31/70. Page's solo is terrific and Plant...Jesus! He's hitting some of the highest notes I think I've ever heard him do. Just damn! :blink:

Holy $&#@!!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, bluecongo said:

No love for Copenhagen 7/24/79?

very unique version with a BLISTERING solo

Love right here in spades. I absolutely am enchanted by this version, without a doubt one of the best.

• 4 months later...

With respect to all of the mentions TSRTS version is getting, in my opinion, it should be disqualified due to the severity of the editing on that particular track.  It's not like TSRTS Dazed or NQ, where the vast majority of the track comes from one of the three nights; TSRTS SIBLY is probably the go-to example of a 'Frankenstein' version of a live song.

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt6.html

On 1/18/2018 at 12:01 AM, ZepHead315 said:

I just discovered one version that hasn't been brought up yet, but deserves to be mentioned: Milwaukee 8/31/70. Page's solo is terrific and Plant...Jesus! He's hitting some of the highest notes I think I've ever heard him do. Just damn! :blink:

This is probably the closest plant came to matching his vocals  on the studio version on terms of power and intensity . Vocally the studio version has never been topped. Milwaukee is insanely powerful vocally and the band plays great. I have always preferred the guktar tone on the 1970 versions to any other year. It's so much more full  and cleaner then any other year. It had a much more traditional  blues tone  to it in 1970 . There is a warmth and richness to the tone in 1970 which gave the song a darker sound and vibe. I really love  Vancouver and Memphis for the pre album versions. To me the pre album versions are  a completely different song. The mood is darker and more somber. I find them to have a soul influence that is not as evident on the post album versions   not better or worse just different. I do prefer plants vocals on the pre album versions though. It's deeper and richer. More bluesy and soulful. 1970 from start to finish is such an amazing year for plants voice. He sounds amazing almost every show

On 1/24/2018 at 11:50 PM, bluecongo said:

No love for Copenhagen 7/24/79?

very unique version with a BLISTERING solo

I love that version.  It's easily one of the best versions  they did post 75. All 4  1979 versions are killer.  Vocally I have always felt the 2nd  knebworth  version was one of plants best for that song lost 72. The Copenhagen versions were very unique  and never really played that way again   pages guitar playing on those versions was so much cleaner the. Any of the other post 73 versions. Easily pages best sounding guitar tone post 73.