Music Theory-Scales

Discipulus

Hey guys im a total beginner esp as far as music theory goes, so I'd like to concentrate alot on learning scales so that i can learn to improvise more. And i was wondering how it is that the different scales are constructed? I know that you start with a root note and add notes to it but which notes do you add? Thanks guys much appreciated!

Hey guys im a total beginner esp as far as music theory goes, so I'd like to concentrate alot on learning scales so that i can learn to improvise more. And i was wondering how it is that the different scales are constructed? I know that you start with a root note and add notes to it but which notes do you add? Thanks guys much appreciated!

Congrats on getting into music. I take it from your post that you play guitar. An entirely new world has opened up for you now. Just remember it takes a lot of practice and patience. As far as your question, for someone to post here trying to answer, it would be a pretty lengthy post. Here's a good beginning point on scales and theory:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Music_Theory/Scales_and_Intervals

You can find tons of stuff on the Internet so I won't spend the next hour or more typing... LOL

I will say this though... and keep in mind, I don't know your skill set, but knowing theory and scales/modes is important, because it's much easier to break the rules if you know the rules your breaking. However, don't allow yourself to get completely hung up on practicing scales/modes. Over the years I have run across guys who can absolutely fly up and down the neck, play any Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen or Yngwie Malmsteen solo note for note, but they couldn't play with a drummer and couldn't write a song to save their lives.

Playing the guitar is vast area of different styles and techniques and scales/modes and theory is only a part of that. Having good timing, good rhythm, and being able to do a multitude of things, like writing, playing rhythm, playing lead, finger picking, playing in alternate tunings with knowledge, developing a good ear, playing slide, playing blues, country, rock, folk, classical... there's so much there.

Just don't become a one trick pony. Best of luck to you. Now get off the computer and get back to practicing! :P

Archived