2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

hollyamos22

I was far more impressed with Joannie Rochette going out there and skating two days after her mother died of a heart attack. I don't know if I could have done that if it was me. The reception she got from the crowd was amazing and she burst into tears coming off the ice. Bless her.

Hi E:

I agree..

Joannie skates again tonight in the long program....whatever happens it appears she has already won the hearts and sympathy of the crowd and fellow skaters...

Juliet

Hi E:

I agree..

Joannie skates again tonight in the long program....whatever happens it appears she has already won the hearts and sympathy of the crowd and fellow skaters...

Juliet

She won the bronze medal, which is a fantastic achievement in and of itself but when you factor everything that she's been through emotionally, it's even more impressive. I didn't care much about what the gold and silver medalists were doing, I was hoping that Joannie would come away with something, and she did.

I'm sure wherever her mother is, she was very proud and beaming from ear to ear. :)

Canada vs USA mens gold medal hockey...Sunday. Should be a showcase for the game itself !!!

All you non believers should watch beer.gif

Kinda ironic that Canada and US meet for gold in both mens and womens hockey. I will cheer for US but it would not upset me to see Canada win gold again.

Kinda ironic that Canada and US meet for gold in both mens and womens hockey. I will cheer for US but it would not upset me to see Canada win gold again.

Hiya wave.gif

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Seattle...great town smile.gif

As for hockey, all I ask is that both teams show up and give it everything the've got ! I'll be proud of the Canadian team regardless of the result and American fans should feel the same. I just want a great game of hockey so the world can see just how exciting a sport it really is ! Good luck by the way.... beer.gif

Just a little statement on the games themselves !

We have received plenty of negative press from the Brits as well as the Europeans ( grain of salt) but without trying to be a home town hero, Everyone that I have met...and believe me, we are talking a ton of people, have had nothing but praise for the way Vancouver has hosted these games. Many of the folk have generations of history with the games and none...and I mean NONE , can remember ever having the total experience that they have had with these games. Cudos John Furlong, the late Jack Poole and everyone involved with making this a wonderful moment in time for all that enjoyed !

Lets hope the men's ice hockey team beat the Canadians! As in the words of Stephen Colbert:

Defeat the World!!! :lol:

I was cheering for the Russian hockey team but... things changed. I guess it just wasn't there day (Especially being surrounded by only Canadians fans, that must really be frustrating :( )

Poor Ohno too!! He got disqualified in the 500m finals :angry: ! And he didn't even push, he only had his hand on him! But short track is one crazy sport, kinda like roller derby on ice!

Oh My Gosh! Did anyone see the documentary piece that Tom Brokow aired today about Gander in Newfoundland and how they responded on 9-11-01 to the stranded air travelers. The people opened up their hearts and homes and restored faith in humanity in the midst of a horrible event. I wanted to cry during the whole thing.

Oh My Gosh! Did anyone see the documentary piece that Tom Brokow aired today about Gander in Newfoundland and how they responded on 9-11-01 to the stranded air travelers. The people opened up their hearts and homes and restored faith in humanity in the midst of a horrible event. I wanted to cry during the whole thing.

Here you go

Here you go

Ally..I saw this one also, but todays was a half hour long and focused on the events of 9/11. A very touching piece. Hopefully, it will be on youtube soon for others to see who missed it.

This is just a 3 minute clip on the making of the piece. Just have to get past the few seconds at the beginning.

was watching the women's churling the other night. the close ups on the ones pushing the weighted object down the ice...jeez their faces get so intense its scary. thank god for their families they have churling to do in the winter months. haha

I've got about zero interest in the winter Olympics this year. I don't think I'm the only one either........

Hi DRUNK08,

No, your not the only one, i gave up any interest when the Professionals took the event over from what was basically an Amature 4 year get together. I've had friends and school mates that have competed at the Olympics and they held down jobs while doing their training, no extra money or sponsorships, they were the last true Olympiads, this lot of Professional Athletes are a shower of shit as far as I'm concerned, they have stole the thunder from the more deserving Amatures in my honest opinion. The Olympic Games, Summer and Winter, can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, i wont be supporting these events until it gets back it Amature status, which will be never. :angry:

Regards, Danny

Hi DRUNK08,

No, your not the only one, i gave up any interest when the Professionals took the event over from what was basically an Amature 4 year get together. I've had friends and school mates that have competed at the Olympics and they held down jobs while doing their training, no extra money or sponsorships, they were the last true Olympiads, this lot of Professional Athletes are a shower of shit as far as I'm concerned, they have stole the thunder from the more deserving Amatures in my honest opinion. The Olympic Games, Summer and Winter, can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, i wont be supporting these events until it gets back it Amature status, which will be never. :angry:

Regards, Danny

Hi Guys..it is true that you either like or you hate them, to each their own. I do enjoy the fact that most countries of the world come together and compete in the summer and winter olympics putting aside politics and other issues. There are still some amatures that qualify and compete but the liklyhood of winning a metal is slim, but they can still dream. I think most are just happy to have the privilige of competing. Opening it up to pros does cut down the chances of amatures qualifying, but some of the countries had government sponsored atheletes being groomed from childhood and were winning the majority of the time. Opening it to pros leveled the playing field so to speak. Still some minor politics getting mixed up in the games but all in all I find them fun to watch.

Hey bigdan:

I have never taken much interest in the Olympics until this year...I find some events more interesting than others...I am getting bored with the amount of blondes;blonde reporters,blonde fans being prefered when interviewed by male reporters..blondes in ads for Olympic items....blondes..blondes...blondes...do I sound bitter?

I found out that the President of Russia is going to be a party pooper..he was supposed to be here for the closing and handing over of the flag since his country will host the next games...Well he cancelled cause the Russian hockey team didn't win..

In any case I'm going to try and block out the blonde factor and enjoy some red wine while I watch the hockey game and closing ceremony

GO CANADA GO :cheer:GO CANANDA GO

Juliet :toast::party::drunk:

Hi Guys..it is true that you either like or you hate them, to each their own. I do enjoy the fact that most countries of the world come together and compete in the summer and winter olympics putting aside politics and other issues. There are still some amatures that qualify and compete but the liklyhood of winning a metal is slim, but they can still dream. I think most are just happy to have the privilige of competing. Opening it up to pros does cut down the chances of amatures qualifying, but some of the countries had government sponsored atheletes being groomed from childhood and were winning the majority of the time. Opening it to pros leveled the playing field so to speak. Still some minor politics getting mixed up in the games but all in all I find them fun to watch.

Hi 'ledzepfvr'

I think that the USA with all their sponsored college places, CHINA, the USSR/RUSSIA and the Warsaw Pact countries with their Military Personnel and other countries that have their own ways of making it "NOT an even playing field" like the German Company Sponsorship, has degraded and disgraced the games to what they are today, a sham on everything that Honest, Hardworking and Amature Athletes made it.

Its great for you that you see it in a good light, but i for one don't like the taste of the "Bullshit" they are selling and offering, however thin it is spread it still tastes of "Shit" to me. :o

Regards, Danny

Hey bigdan:

I have never taken much interest in the Olympics until this year...I find some events more interesting than others...I am getting bored with the amount of blondes;blonde reporters,blonde fans being prefered when interviewed by male reporters..blondes in ads for Olympic items....blondes..blondes...blondes...do I sound bitter?

I found out that the President of Russia is going to be a party pooper..he was supposed to be here for the closing and handing over of the flag since his country will host the next games...Well he cancelled cause the Russian hockey team didn't win..

In any case I'm going to try and block out the blonde factor and enjoy some red wine while I watch the hockey game and closing ceremony

GO CANADA GO :cheer: GO CANANDA GO

Juliet :toast::party::drunk:

Hi Juliet,

Good for you Blondie. :lol:

Regards, Danny

There has been some nice looking woman in the competitors pool this time around, or maybe it's just that I've been watching it in HD for the first time. The figure skating women have about 10" of make-up on there faces! I'm not complaining, they are great looking kid's and most where great performer's (you won't catch me out there on ice skates).

With the new technology's of high end lighting, set's and killer sound system's all make you get lost in the show and maybe that's good but, maybe they do need to get back to the average athlete.

Yes; that was wonderful!

what a game, eh?

Congrats to Canada on a well deserved gold medal.

Kudos to the USA for not giving up and tying the game with seconds left sending it into OT.

My only regret is seeing someone i have little respect for, get the game winner.

Congrats to Canada. Oh, what a game. It was exciting when US got the second goal 25 seconds before the end of regulation play to tie it. Yea, :D North America for taking Gold and Silver.

Congratulations Canada; great game! I'm happy for them smile.gif

It was a fantastic game for hockey and it could just as easily have been the USA winning the gold. My hats off to both teams for showing the world what great hockey is all about !

Archived